Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
I'm converting my non HP car for the track. My question is about track tires. What should I wrap the factory HP wheels I have with? Pilot Sport Cup 2's or Pilot Sport 4S's? Would like to have a dual purpose tire but I do have my 255/275 4S's that came factory non HP.

f894(10)1648161116.4311152full.jpg

Vehicle specs:
2022 Mach 1 N0426
700A Premium, Tremec, Recaro

Parts added:
Factory Ford Parts: HP Splitter, Spoiler/Gurney, front wheel flares and rear wheel flaps.
Steeda Parts: Dual rate springs, Adjustable Bars with end links and Billet attach, camber plates, and the Handling Ultimate Kit.
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bobby,

I would actually advise against both of those.
The 4S is a fantastic street tire but comparatively slow on the track.
The Cup2 is very fast on track but overpriced and wear quickly for street miles.
A "dual purpose" tire will make compromises for both fields. The more track oriented it is, the faster they will wear out on the street. The longer they last, the slower they will be on track. Finding the balance that best suits you is a decision only you can make.

With that being said, I think a tire around 200tw will suit you best.
BFGoodrich Rival S 1.5
Goodyear Supercar 3
Hankook RS4
Continental ECF
Kumho ECSTA V730

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
TRDFurgesson

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bobby,

The Cup2 is very fast on track but overpriced and wear quickly for street miles.
A "dual purpose" tire will make compromises for both fields. The more track oriented it is, the faster they will wear out on the street. The longer they last, the slower they will be on track. Finding the balance that best suits you is a decision only you can make.

BFGoodrich Rival S 1.5
Goodyear Supercar 3
Hankook RS4
Continental ECF
Kumho ECSTA V730

Hope this helps!
Not wanting to compromise, Sounds like I should keep my 4S's for the street and get Cup2's for track use only... any other track tires as good at the cups? I live close to Mid Ohio so they will see some road use to and from.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Not wanting to compromise, Sounds like I should keep my 4S's for the street and get Cup2's for track use only... any other track tires as good at the cups? I live close to Mid Ohio so they will see some road use to and from.
Goodyear Supercar 3R is faster than Cup2 and cost half the price.
Cup2s cost just as much as Hoosier A7's...I see zero reason to ever get Cup2's to be honest

OP
OP
TRDFurgesson

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Goodyear Supercar 3R is faster than Cup2 and cost half the price.
Cup2s cost just as much as Hoosier A7's...I see zero reason to ever get Cup2's to be honest
looks like 305 or 325's out back, that rear wheel is 19x11..... I'm not showing a 315 in the goodyears

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would advise differently than the other responses in this thread. I would buy something with a tread life rating around 300. Typically that will be a tire that can run street or track and that you should be able to get 15,000 to 20,000 miles on mostly street with a handful of track outings.

Unless you are made of money then go ahead and buy the stickiest tires possible, drive really hard and replace them in a few weeks or after every other track day.

IMO getting the absolute maximum track speed is a waste of money. You aren't going to win any prizes. Just use a decent tire and have fun. Some people will be faster and some will be slower. It doesn't much matter.

OP
OP
TRDFurgesson

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would advise differently than the other responses in this thread. I would buy something with a tread life rating around 300. Typically that will be a tire that can run street or track and that you should be able to get 15,000 to 20,000 miles on mostly street with a handful of track outings.

Unless you are made of money then go ahead and buy the stickiest tires possible, drive really hard and replace them in a few weeks or after every other track day.

IMO getting the absolute maximum track speed is a waste of money. You aren't going to win any prizes. Just use a decent tire and have fun. Some people will be faster and some will be slower. It doesn't much matter.
I appreciate the response!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you should also read all the threads in the HPDE section. there are several threads on tires and international tire reviews and oodles of stuff.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bobby,

BFGoodrich Rival S 1.5
Goodyear Supercar 3
Hankook RS4
Continental ECF
Kumho ECSTA V730

Hope this helps!
this is a pretty good list of tires. There are a few others, but this list is already paired down to the good tires that will take the heat from track abuse and won't wear too fast. There are faster tires, but they'll also wear faster. (295/35R19 A052s if you can find the Yokohams. Also Falken RT660s)

If you're going to get a dedicated set of tires for street and for track, then its a good idea to look at a dedicated set of wheels too, and something closer to 11"F 11"R in size. Being limited to 255s on the front isn't great for track use.

Sponsored

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
After attending the Mach 1 Track Attack today, I was amazed at how hard/fast the car could be driven on PS4s.

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 F350 DRW Platinum
I also suggest the Goodyear Super Car 3 tires. Fantastic tire with 220TW, only problem might be finding a set in stock. Another option is Hankook RS4’s for longer life and increased heat tolerance (hankookmotorsports.com).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
After attending the Mach 1 Track Attack today, I was amazed at how hard/fast the car could be driven on PS4s.
True but you weren't lapping so avoided overheating. Ao52 same deal, hero for a lap and in rain but go off when too hot.

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
True but you weren't lapping so avoided overheating. Ao52 same deal, hero for a lap and in rain but go off when too hot.
I guess it depends on how hard one is going to drive the car during the occasional track day...that may clarify whether PS4s would still be appropriate, or whether an owner should have a better dedicated track day wheel/tire setup.
Sponsored