MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2020 GT A10 and now I have a 2021 GT A10. I can tell you that the 2021 has had a software revision or something. On the 2020 I had the I would get some harsh shifts that felt like the driveshaft was being banged on and the downshift were also very aggressive. But the one thing that annoyed me most was when the car was put into manual and you came to a stop, it would bring you down to 1st gear and when you gave it gas hit the paddle to shift into 2nd gear the engine would rev extremely high before it shifted into 2nd which at times you would get the bang which it was embarrassing, every other shift after that would almost be instantaneous. Definitely take it to ford to have it looked up and probably updated.

I currently have 1600 on my 2021 GT A10 and so far I haven't experience any of the above issues.
I do have the big delay in upshifting from 1st to 2nd with the paddle shifters (which can result in revving very high before the shift depending on throttle). The shift itself isn't especially harsh. All shifts seem to respond slower to the paddles than my '15 with the 6r80, but 1st to 2nd is by far the slowest. The paddles are faster when I'm getting on it but I never want to use them at all in "normal" driving.
Sponsored

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I took delivery of my 2018 in March 2018. From the point of delivery up until Jan 2020, I had no issues with the trans. It had started doing a very harsh "slam" from Park to Reverse and harsh shifts if allowing the box to auto shift on its own OR if I was to manually shift via the paddles. In that large 10R80 thread, at the bottom is an image of my Work Order with the complete repair notes from the Tech. The issue was a failing valve body with extremely high line pressures.

After the replacement of the VB in Jan 2020, I have had no other issues since in full auto mode OR full manual mode (ie: user paddle shifts). The trans shifts fine in all gears from an upshift and downshift perspective.

The 10R80 when in TRANS MODE "S" and standard Drive Mode (default) or when in TRANS MODE "S" and Drive Mode S+ will default to a higher line pressure for the performance aspect of the trans operation AND engine operation. When in TRANS MODE "S", the car will have a more performance oriented shift feel if allowing it to auto shift OR if shifting manually via the paddles. This applies to upshifts or downshifts. The the shift feeling will be more prevalent when the trans is trying to operate at lower MPH as well as RPMs. It's also a characteristic of the "RPM rev marching". If you're driving at highway speeds (50+), when in the mode(s) mentioned, the trans should shift without extreme harshness and be a smooth transition into any gear. However again, if you're trying to downshift (the box auto shifts OR manual by the paddles), into a lower gear while the RPMs are playing "catch up" from a higher speed OR the vehicle is going slowly at a lower MPH/RPM, the user may experience some clunkiness.

The 10R80 also does not always auto upshift or downshift in a consecutive 1,2,3... manner. It shifts using the software logic AND determining the most optimum gear needed for the upshift or downshift based on RPM and MPH.

If the trans (valve body) is acting normally, in TRANS MODE D or S, there really should not be any "slamming" or "thunking" of gears, the transition should be smooth - like you'll hear the transition but not feel a physical "clunk".

It's really hard to explain the above in written form, but a failing valve body OR a trans that is low on fluid will have very harsh shifts and engagement from Park to Reverse. It will feel almost as if the vehicle was nudged or bumped when the engagement occurs from P to Reverse or while shifting at any speed in any Trans Mode. You will even hear or feel driveline lash (a loud metal to metal "clunk"), which is the driveshaft mashing against the rear pinion from abnormal trans line pressure.

I don't know if the above helps any better - but do take it in to get looked at and do take your Tech on a drive where you know you can replicate the shifting concerns. Then let him drive it back so he too can replicate it to confirm the issue.
Was the harsh P-R engagement intermittent or did it happen every time?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Chiming in: sport mode is much faster (lower rpms) and harder shifts, but I do find that lifting EVER so slightly before it snaps up a gear helps to smooth things out nicely. I also notice that first gear, in Sport, shifts to second much higher than the other gears. I'm assuming this is due to the turbo spooling. Anyway, Sport acceleration is how it should've been tuned from the factory, since Drive is basically eco mode lol
Agreed I find if I "drive" the trans a bit and ease up on the gas slightly before the upshift its as smooth as glass in any mode. I also think one of the problems when people talk about harsh or extra firm shifts it is only in Sport or higher modes not when the car is in normal D mode. In that mode it is as soft as can be.

I've often wondered if some of the jerk or abruptness is related in some way to driveline slack being taken up as the car hits the next gear.

So many people describe this same thing on here which means either there are a bunch of bad trans' or its the nature of them. I don't know which is correct but it makes me wonder.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I had a 2020 GT A10 and now I have a 2021 GT A10. I can tell you that the 2021 has had a software revision or something. On the 2020 I had the I would get some harsh shifts that felt like the driveshaft was being banged on and the downshift were also very aggressive. But the one thing that annoyed me most was when the car was put into manual and you came to a stop, it would bring you down to 1st gear and when you gave it gas hit the paddle to shift into 2nd gear the engine would rev extremely high before it shifted into 2nd which at times you would get the bang which it was embarrassing, every other shift after that would almost be instantaneous. Definitely take it to ford to have it looked up and probably updated.

I currently have 1600 on my 2021 GT A10 and so far I haven't experience any of the above issues.
This is very good info comparing the 2020 to the 2021.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Agreed I find if I "drive" the trans a bit and ease up on the gas slightly before the upshift its as smooth as glass in any mode. I also think one of the problems when people talk about harsh or extra firm shifts it is only in Sport or higher modes not when the car is in normal D mode. In that mode it is as soft as can be.

I've often wondered if some of the jerk or abruptness is related in some way to driveline slack being taken up as the car hits the next gear.

So many people describe this same thing on here which means either there are a bunch of bad trans' or its the nature of them. I don't know which is correct but it makes me wonder.
Thanks - my harshness is when in sport mode with the toggles but with the shifter in the D position...

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Duly noted.

I understand the different modes using toggle and using the shifter to go into S is not the same as using toggle switches. Now the issue I have with the trans is that no matter which mode I use, the hard upshift from 4-5 and harsh downshift from 4-3 was not present for the first 10-15 thousand miles but started to show up slowly. The trans would shift fast and smooth in all kinds of modes when new but over times the performance of the trans became clunky and slow. This to me indicates either low oil level or a physical issue with the valve body.

Anyway, thanks for the links to the 10R80 thread. Its always good to be well informed.
Oh, understood for sure with what you’re experiencing with the shifts. I didn’t want to come off as being on a pedestal or something by saying your relearn process was bad, just wanted to affirm to others reading that there is an actual process.

I had over 30k on mine before it was really bad. Same thing, it always shifted fine, then it started being harsh, like in any Trans or Drive Mode. Harsh to the point that when it was started and trans selector was moved from Park to Reverse, there was a delay then *BAM* it would go into gear so hard you would think someone hit the car. When driving, it would be harsh as well, not the slamming like the P to R, but it was definitely not normal in any definition of the word normal.

After the valve body was replaced, it was a “wow” moment, like, wow the trans shifts into any gear while in Trans Mode D or S very smoothly, couldn’t even feel it, even at the shift points you reference. Whereas before the VB replacement, it was very clunky, harsh and was out of the norm for an auto trans.

Hopefully your Service Center will help out. Like I explained above, definitley and always take the Tech, Service Writer or Shop Foreman on a good test drive to show them the shift issue, then let them drive it back.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Was the harsh P-R engagement intermittent or did it happen every time?
Well, at first it wasn’t every time, but as time went on, it was every time. There would be times I’d take it from Park to Reverse and it would delay any movement by at least a good 7-10 secs, then *BAM*, the driveline would clash and then would lurch into reverse. The same would then happen going from R to D….

I’m telling ya, when it did that, it actually felt like the car was hit, that’s how hard of an engagement occurred. Even when the Tech did it, he looked at me like “WTF”…. Haha… but yea, it was pretty bad.

My Work Order with Tech Notes is posted at the bottom of this main 10R80 thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

And to those reading this thread, the reason I created the main 10R80 thread was because even then the 10R80 was still new in the S550, there was not a lot of info and folks were posting about harsh shifts and low fluid levels. The thread isn’t only about the harsh shifts, I have included many cool links within that first post that contains actual tech about the innards of the 10R80 and how it works…. I know that thread is HUGE, but that first post contains a shitton of good 10R80 factual operating info even if it’s overbearing for some readers. :)

Last edited:

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Thanks - my harshness is when in sport mode with the toggles but with the shifter in the D position...
If using Sport mode, use the paddles. I even suggest starting in 2nd gear to let the turbo spool smoothly. 3/4/5 can be clicked at 3k, then 6-7-8-9 at 3,500 rpm. 10 as overdrive, but above 45 mph, it'll hold around 6 gear, so just triple tap up and let the rpms settle in. If you don't use the paddles, it will rapid fire them off in a HURRY, and jerk like mad.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
If using Sport mode, use the paddles. I even suggest starting in 2nd gear to let the turbo spool smoothly. 3/4/5 can be clicked at 3k, then 6-7-8-9 at 3,500 rpm. 10 as overdrive, but above 45 mph, it'll hold around 6 gear, so just triple tap up and let the rpms settle in. If you don't use the paddles, it will rapid fire them off in a HURRY, and jerk like mad.
I did not think you could paddle shift in sport plus toggle mode - my shifter has been in the D position, not the S position. Also, I don't have any turbo to spool up...

Sponsored

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Right so thats not D thats Sport +....
I very rarely every use Sport+ toggle. It's not needed. Shifter in "S", paddles in second, have a smooth take off then rapid click them around 3-3,500 rpm. You won't be jerked around and still get the power delivery you need/want.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I very rarely every use Sport+ toggle. It's not needed. Shifter in "S", paddles in second, have a smooth take off then rapid click them around 3-3,500 rpm. You won't be jerked around and still get the power delivery you need/want.
So, you are saying that in order to get smoother shifts I would have to paddle shift the car? This is not something I want to do. My understanding is that sport plus (toggle switch with shifter in "D") and having the shifter in "S" are two different settings - they feel different to me anyway...

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
So, you are saying that in order to get smoother shifts I would have to paddle shift the car? This is not something I want to do. My understanding is that sport plus (toggle switch with shifter in "D") and having the shifter in "S" are two different settings - they feel different to me anyway...
They are. If you're in sport (shifter) - you don't need to also select Sport+ (toggle). You will never have a smooth drive in either, since the AT will automatically rev high and shift quickly, leading to harsh ride. You can smooth things out by using the paddles, so you have better acceleration than in Drive, and an equally smooth experience.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Oh, understood for sure with what you’re experiencing with the shifts. I didn’t want to come off as being on a pedestal or something by saying your relearn process was bad, just wanted to affirm to others reading that there is an actual process.

I had over 30k on mine before it was really bad. Same thing, it always shifted fine, then it started being harsh, like in any Trans or Drive Mode. Harsh to the point that when it was started and trans selector was moved from Park to Reverse, there was a delay then *BAM* it would go into gear so hard you would think someone hit the car. When driving, it would be harsh as well, not the slamming like the P to R, but it was definitely not normal in any definition of the word normal.

After the valve body was replaced, it was a “wow” moment, like, wow the trans shifts into any gear while in Trans Mode D or S very smoothly, couldn’t even feel it, even at the shift points you reference. Whereas before the VB replacement, it was very clunky, harsh and was out of the norm for an auto trans.

Hopefully your Service Center will help out. Like I explained above, definitley and always take the Tech, Service Writer or Shop Foreman on a good test drive to show them the shift issue, then let them drive it back.
@Cobra Jet I did not take your post in any negative sense. Matter of fact, you provide really good information backed up by facts. I get the feeling my car will need a new valve body as well, its is a Nov 2017 build date and from the information I have gathered on this forum, the earlier built models have more issues than the latter ones.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
This is how I understand things, based on reading the owners manual and watching numerous videos on youtube.

Shifter in "S" - only changes the transmission shift points.
S+ Mode - adds more throttle response and more aggressive cam timing
Track Mode - same as S+ with traction control off and stability control less intrusive
Drag Strip - shift points changed to stay in max torque rpm range

If you have the shifter in "D" the paddle shifters time out after a few seconds. If you have the car in S+ or Track Mode and the shifter in "S" the paddle shifters stay active much longer. They will time out but for the most part once you engage the paddles and have the shifter in "S" you need to shift it manually.

I'm not 100% sure of this because I don't run the car hard for that long. But I have tried out each of the settings and it appears to follow the information I have read and watched.
Sponsored

Last edited: