Sponsored

18 up A10 owners question?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Occasionally my car soon after start up will do what I would call a converter flash at slow speed in first gear with foot off the accelerator in drive. By itself it will rev up 2000 rpms like in neutral (no movement or push) real quick and drop back to idle rpms? WTF is that...?

I think it did pre tune also. Anybody else? I got a nasty look at my kids school by crossing guard the other day when it happened. I was not reving my car on purpose. Lol.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I notice the A10 doing this when the transmission oil is cool (i.e. in the morning or after sitting all day at work etc). This rev up goes away within a couple of minutes though, what about yours? Is it doing it no matter what or only when the trans is cool?

OP
OP
Zinc03svt

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I notice the A10 doing this when the transmission oil is cool (i.e. in the morning or after sitting all day at work etc). This rev up goes away within a couple of minutes though, what about yours? Is it doing it no matter what or only when the trans is cool?
Yep, but mine will do it if it has been shut off for only 30 minutes. Not completely cool on mine. Only does it once, if it does it. Like the trans is warming up the converter. Lol. Good to know my car not an anomaly.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
The trans will purposely slip to get the fluid up to temp, however, I have not had any flaring. Flaring is like what you are describing is concerning imo, but only time will really tell. I would only recommend the usual "if it becomes more frequent or intense, take it in". With that said though flaring in an automatic transmission can take serious life off the clutch packs which wouldn't show up in minor conditions until shortly after your warranty runs out.

OP
OP
Zinc03svt

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Not going to sweat it. Doubt this wearing my clutch packs Ace. I’ve got 100k powertrain which I will never use. :).

Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Mine does this every once in a while as well. Only when cold. I have also noticed that it tends to slip more when cold until it warms up. In the morning I try and get out of my neighborhood as quickly and quietly as possible (before 6am) but this makes it hard when I can't get up the hill at idle due to the trans wanting to slip higher to get her going. I don't think there is anything really wrong with it but this 10spd is certainly a bit quirky in this first Mustang production year. Lol

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Do all you guys who experience this have tunes? Also what drive mode and shifter position? The OP said D but didn't mention drive mode.

My stock tune GT in D and normal mode doesn't seem to do this. Shift points might be a little higher when cold but nothing significant.

Last edited:

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I am tuned and I usually use D for daily commuting so I believe it was in D when this occurred for me. The slight rev before lock up has only happened maybe twice in 10k miles but the loose lock up when cold is often but brief once a little warm up occurs.

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
Occasionally my car soon after start up will do what I would call a converter flash at slow speed in first gear with foot off the accelerator in drive. By itself it will rev up 2000 rpms like in neutral (no movement or push) real quick and drop back to idle rpms? WTF is that...?

I think it did pre tune also. Anybody else? I got a nasty look at my kids school by crossing guard the other day when it happened. I was not reving my car on purpose. Lol.
Mine does this as well, but it revs and wants to lunge forward. It happens after the car has been parked for hours, and when I leave my office I will cruise to the first stop sign, and not every day, but most days the car suddenly revs coming to a stop and wants to throw the car forward. It hasn't been a huge issue yet other than it's annoying as hell and I don't think a 2018 transmission should behave this way. On the other hand it could be dangerous for someone who is not expecting it to happen, and if they are a car length behind the car infront of them they could lunge into them. I have not taken it to the dealership yet, but this thing is far more quirky than my last BMW dual clutch transmission, and I thought that thing had a mind of it's own. I don't have the best luck with auto's...

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
Do all you guys who experience this have tunes? Also what drive mode and shifter position? The OP said D but didn't mention drive mode.

My stock tune GT in D and normal mode doesn't seem to do this. Shift points might be a little higher when cold but nothing significant.
I am tuned, but only for 1,000 miles or so. Mine did the craziness before the tune as well. In normal drive mode.

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
I put 2500 miles on my A10 with no abnormal operation ... I loaded a PBD tune Monday and started getting the low speed rev flare some of you have posted about, I reloaded the stock tune and the flare went away so it is tune related.

I'm data logging it now and sending the log to them for evaluation as it is annoying.

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
I put 2500 miles on my A10 with no abnormal operation ... I loaded a PBD tune Monday and started getting the low speed rev flare some of you have posted about, I reloaded the stock tune and the flare went away so it is tune related.

I'm data logging it now and sending the log to them for evaluation as it is annoying.

Given the circumstances I feel like this is good news that it could be tune related. Keep me posted on what you find, and I will do some logs as well. Like you said it is very annoying. Does yours just rev up, or does it want to throw you forward like the car is about to take off for a second?

OP
OP
Zinc03svt

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I have not had it in a while. If I let the car run 2-3 minutes before taking off it usually never does it. It’s when it start it and take off immediately it will do more often. Pretty sure it did it pre tune couple times.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
My biggest complaint is the surging coming to a stop. Decel 20 mph,15 mph,10 mph, then around 5-7 mph car surges and if I don't get on brake quick I almost rear end car in front of me. Does it when it is HOT. If it did this all the time I would expect it. But it only does it when it wants to.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
What gears does everyone have where this flaring happens? Are most with 3.55?
Sponsored