Sponsored

Long Term Reliability

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I am normally a JDM guy so I have had lots of toyotas/hondas/lexus's. I have recently started to buy american cars (chevy Trail Blazer SS, and now this mustang)

I am some what ..concerned about the number of issues I have had thus far. I have had the AC fixed 2/3 times. The airbag in my seat replaced, transmission replaced, and yesterday my window wipers died... This is on a car with 25k miles albeit a lot of track use.

Any one else experiences mirror mine?
Sponsored

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well, keep in mind you have a 'Flat Plane Crank' V8 that is made by Ford. Engine vibration is a concern as it is literally shaking itself apart whether Ford likes to admit it or not. The NVH is a huge reason why most manufacturers stick with Cross Plane V8s. Ford's own Mustang GT4 went Cross Plane for that very reason.

Wear and Tear of the ancillary items under the hood will require constant maintenance as the Vibration + Harshness will exacerbate wear. Something to keep an eye on. This is not a LS.

The Voodoo V8 is a marvel in that a US manufacturer democratized a Flat Plane Crank via the GT350. That being said, Google will be your friend as to why manufacturers are hesitant for offer their V8's with FPC. It will also give you insights into the concerns that are to be expected as an owner.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Well, keep in mind you have a 'Flat Plane Crank' V8 that is made by Ford. Engine vibration is a concern as it is literally shaking itself apart whether Ford likes to admit it or not. The NVH is a huge reason why most manufacturers stick with Cross Plane V8s. Ford's own Mustang GT4 went Cross Plane for that very reason.

Wear and Tear of the ancillary items under the hood will require constant maintenance as the Vibration + Harshness will exacerbate wear. Something to keep an eye on. This is not a LS.

The Voodoo V8 is a marvel in that a US manufacturer democratized a Flat Plane Crank via the GT350. That being said, Google will be your friend as to why manufacturers are hesitant for offer their V8's with FPC. It will also give you insights into the concerns that are to be expected as an owner.
Do you have a GT350? Just wondering since this isn't your first "engines are shaking apart" post...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ford's own Mustang GT4 went Cross Plane for that very reason.
That's was a rumour that was spread around, not factual in any way shape or form. There are 3 reasons:

1. The GT4 engine is built by Roush Yates and for ease of manufacturing, ordering, and assembly, they opted for the crossplane configuration.

2. The crossplane engine has a meatier torque curve lower than the flat crank respective to their peak values which helps the car in very technical spots. It compliments the transmission ratios in the Holinger transmission better.

3. And above all the most important, IMSA rules compliance. The flat crank made it harder to comply with rules after the first year. Rules say 450 RWHP is the max you can have in class. The flat crank was handily making that that but at the expensive of a lower punchy power for coming out of corners. It was difficult to tune for the lower ranges that the the engine had to operate in. The 90 degree crank solved these issues.

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I am normally a JDM guy so I have had lots of toyotas/hondas/lexus's. I have recently started to buy american cars (chevy Trail Blazer SS, and now this mustang)

I am some what ..concerned about the number of issues I have had thus far. I have had the AC fixed 2/3 times. The airbag in my seat replaced, transmission replaced, and yesterday my window wipers died... This is on a car with 25k miles albeit a lot of track use.

Any one else experiences mirror mine?
I know a fix to these woes :devil:

That's was a rumour that was spread around, not factual in any way shape or form. There are 3 reasons:

1. The GT4 engine is built by Roush Yates and for ease of manufacturing, ordering, and assembly, they opted for the crossplane configuration.

2. The crossplane engine has a meatier torque curve lower than its peak value which helps the car in very technical spots. It compliments the transmission ratios in the Holinger transmission better.

3. And above all the most important, IMSA rules compliance. The flat crank made it harder to comply with rules after the first year. Rules say 450 RWHP is the max you can have in class. The flat crank was handily making that that but at the expensive of a lower punchy power for coming out of corners. It was difficult to tune for the lower ranges that the the engine had to operate in. The 90 degree crank solved these issues.
Nailed it.

The FPC is plenty reliable. it's just got plenty of character :)

Sponsored

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Do you have a GT350? Just wondering since this isn't your first "engines are shaking apart" post...
C’mon man, it’s a new day! You don’t have to actually have any experience with something (or even know anything about it) to know EVERYTHING about it!! If you question it, just ask a millennial!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
C’mon man, it’s a new day! You don’t have to actually have any experience with something (or even know anything about it) to know EVERYTHING about it!! If you question it, just ask a millennial!
Actually I am one...:cwl:

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Supposedly there's two types of millennials now or they're broken up into basically part 1 and part 2. I'm part 1, the generation that saw the advent of the 2nd digital age essentially where we saw the world systematically transition from an analog world to a digital and electronic world. I guess part 2 is the sub generation that was born AFTER this transition and don't know any differently (born after 1998). The ones that other generations tend to REALLY hate and the sub generation that the early millennials tend to roll our eyes at but kinda understand as to why they are the way they are.

Anyway, back to the IMSA car. Yes, for the GT4's application it made more sense. Racing teams TEND to favor mid range rather than top end as they on average traverse the engine in those RPM ranges. Time is made up in the corners, not the straights.

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Supposedly there's two types of millennials now or they're broken up into basically part 1 and part 2. I'm part 1, the generation that saw the advent of the 2nd digital age essentially where we saw the world systematically transition from an analog world to a digital and electronic world. I guess part 2 is the sub generation that was born AFTER this transition and don't know any differently (born after 1998). The ones that other generations tend to REALLY hate and the sub generation that the early millennials tend to roll our eyes at but kinda understand as to why they are the way they are.

Anyway, back to the IMSA car. Yes, for the GT4's application it made more sense. Racing teams TEND to favor mid range rather than top end as they on average traverse the engine in those RPM ranges. Time is made up in the corners, not the straights.
I’m 42, so right at the end of the gen x/start of millennial era. I have lots of friends/family in each camp. But honestly, I was just making a joke...hopefully it was taken as such!!

Anyway, back to reliability...I can’t say for sure, since I only have 750 miles on it. But, it does appear that Ford might have addressed some of the reliability issues on the earlier models with the 19 version. Only time will tell!!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’m 42, so right at the end of the gen x/start of millennial era. I have lots of friends/family in each camp. But honestly, I was just making a joke...hopefully it was taken as such!!

Anyway, back to reliability...I can’t say for sure, since I only have 750 miles on it. But, it does appear that Ford might have addressed some of the reliability issues on the earlier models with the 19 version. Only time will tell!!

Are you kidding me? I love millennial jokes.

And my '16 car has been perfectly fine on stock motor. 18,000 DD miles and lots and lots of autocross and track time.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

I hope for you. How hard is it to make window wipers??? If I had not purchases my extended warranty Id be pissed. They told me they couldn't get me in until 9/3 I asked them if I was not supposed to drive my car in the rain until then.

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I hope for you. How hard is it to make window wipers??? If I had not purchases my extended warranty Id be pissed. They told me they couldn't get me in until 9/3 I asked them if I was not supposed to drive my car in the rain until then.
Your windshield wipers didn’t work?? Terrible. Worse, they won’t let you test drive these things before you buy it, so you can’t look for problems. My airbag light went off 5 mins from the dealership. Couldn’t get an appt with service for two weeks. They told me not to drive it bc the airbag wouldn’t work if I crashed it. Well, I couldn’t just let it sit in my garage, so I drove it. In the rain even, when they say you’re bound to crash with these cup 2’s in the rain. No crashing, found out the issue was the seat belt tensioner, and all is good in the world. Can’t imagine paying 65k+ and the windshield wipers didn’t work, but pretty much the same happened to me. Crazy, but this car is so fun, it’s easier to ignore some of the ridiculous issues it has I guess.
Sponsored