Depreciation/long-term value?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
From what I've read, I still don't think they are doing that. I'm sure it would require some redesign of the interior and wiring to run that dash in the GT350. It appears Ford is more than happy to run one more year of the GT350 and maximize their profits without revising anything. Except for colors, which I'm sure doesn't cost them anything new to the program.
What is it that you read that makes you believe it couldn't change? Serious question, I'd like to read it too.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What is it that you read that makes you believe it couldn't change? Serious question, I'd like to read it too.
Development, process changes with manufacturing, part numbers, etc etc. Bottom line: cost. If I were to just logically think things through.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I'd have to find it on here. There were some Ford insiders/sales guys that posted the official documents just showing the only changes were colors. I've read other things via Google searches as well. I'm not sure how accurate those are, but there seems to be a consensus from a bunch of different sources that shows no other changes.

Also, common sense wise Ford knows they are going to easily sell them out so why not maximize profits while not having to put another cent into that program. All this being said, Ford does like to surprise people, but I think the new dash will be reserved for the the GTXXX/Mach 1 or whatever to entice people to buy that car in late 2019.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The flaw with future value speculation is that the automobile world is changing. Changing in ways none of us have witnessed before. Hybrid and plug-in electric vehicles. Self-driving vehicles. Young folks without a passion for driving. Uber.

Not being negative. It's just that the landscape will likely be very different in the years to come. Meanwhile, I'm driving my GT350, enjoying the heck out of it and neglecting future value.
It works both ways when the industry changes. Kind of like the end of the 60's when companies stopped making the old muscle cars. They were worth nothing for a while and now some are worth a lot. Of course not many of us will hold onto these cars for 40-50 years.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
For what it's worth guys, when I traded my '11 GT in, I got $19,500 for it last May. It stickered at 35 and change and I paid $31K before taxes and fees.

Conversely, I have a friend who's trying to offload is 2013 328i X Drive and he can't even get $23 - 24K privately. It stickered for low 50's. American performance is aging well it seems like.
This is true, the M2 and M3/4 fair a little better, but everything else depreciates very quickly. Especially the higher buck/loaded 5/6/7 series cars (including the M versions). That's why most people lease those things.

I was lucky to dump my M4 when I did. Mine had a MSRP of a bit over 80 and I leased it from 68. Then traded it on my GT350 9 months later for around 63ish. Like anything it is right place right time and some luck.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Development, process changes with manufacturing, part numbers, etc etc. Bottom line: cost. If I were to just logically think things through.
this is why I'm logically thinking the dash is something that will change with the 350 in 18. I didn't read anywhere it says for certain, therefore it could change. There is nothing there that couldn't easily be upgraded thru software for the GT350, from a regular Mustang. I would think easily changing a program would be easier than having different parts made, inventoried, installed etc.
We will see, but I didn't see it anywhere that said the read out will stay the same for 2018 gt350, you can use logic, but until you know for sure the bottom line on cost I'll say there is a chance of it changing in 2018, be it slim.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
this is why I'm logically thinking the dash is something that will change with the 350 in 18. I didn't read anywhere it says for certain, therefore it could change. There is nothing there that couldn't easily be upgraded thru software for the GT350, from a regular Mustang. I would think easily changing a program would be easier than having different parts made, inventoried, installed etc.
We will see, but I didn't see it anywhere that said the read out will stay the same for 2018 gt350.
I'll try and find the thread.

Personally, I'd be fine if they change the dash for the GT350. Then that will make the older ones a bit more unique and a lot of nostalgic car guys like the traditional gauges. It might actually help the resale a little bit of the 17s and under.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'll try and find the thread.

Personally, I'd be fine if they change the dash for the GT350. Then that will make the older ones a bit more unique and a lot of nostalgic car guys like the traditional gauges. It might actually help the resale a little bit of the 17s and under.
Yeah, I like the current read out for a timeless look.
I do like the new one too, but stuff like that feels outdated in time, sorta like the older navigation/satellite radio units in the 10 year old cars. I can see 10 years down the road it looking sore-thumby

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I like the current read out for a timeless look.
I do like the new one too, but stuff like that feels outdated in time, sorta like the older navigation/satellite radio units in the 10 year old cars. I can see 10 years down the road it looking sore-thumby
Agreed, that's the problem with electronics in cars. It's hard to make them not look outdated in a relatively short amount of time. I agree though it does look cool. Maybe some brand will make it an option someday and charge a bunch of money for traditional gauges.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
If a low mile non R in great condition is worth 40K in 5 years I'll be stunned. I'll be happy, but it sounds way to good to be true. I and many others here have already had dealers only offer us 45k on our non Rs. :rolleyes:

I know it isn't retail, but it reflects a softening of the market. There are too many variables to be able to accurately guess what the value will be in 5 years. My guess would be high 20s/low 30s for the example I gave in 5 years. Which, would still be very good IMO.
That's a dealer. It's their job and it's what they LOVE to do - low ball a practically new car.

Respectfully - you're smoking crack. :). (That was overexaddurated for humor!).

It's so much car for that money. It's in a different league than previous ones. I'll again use the Audi RS4 as an example. There have been RS5s... the S4s even outperform it and have more tech but 4 year old S4 has depreciated a higher percentage than a 10 year old RS4. I'll buy another one in 5 years for $30k if one of you guys want to sell me your nice low mileage car.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
That's a dealer. It's their job and it's what they LOVE to do - low ball a practically new car.

Respectfully - you're smoking crack. :). (That was overexaddurated for humor!).

It's so much car for that money. It's in a different league than previous ones. I'll again use the Audi RS4 as an example. There have been RS5s... the S4s even outperform it and have more tech but 4 year old S4 has depreciated a higher percentage than a 10 year old RS4. I'll buy another one in 5 years for $30k if one of you guys want to sell me your nice low mileage car.
I don't necessarily disagree, but it is a wait and see game. It depends on the regional market as well, even the new cars have softened so it goes to show why it has on the use ones as well.

I know you don't necessarily mean it, but why am I smoking crack? I didn't accept the offer and know how the game is played.

FWIW, I don't think you and others with Rs will have to worry about anything as I can see the market for those always remaining strong. Unless some unforeseen outside influence changes that.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I think Jason is right , i have also seen that thread from a salesman stating that the only changes being made to the '18 GT350 will be exterior colors.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
No way I see the GT350 dropping into the 20s in 5 years, nearly 50% depreciation in 5 years for a car that was/is in high demand doesnt make sense. I sold my 2012 GT for 20k...it was just over 4 years old, stickered for 32k and I bought it at 26.5k.

I think one car to look at is the Mitsubishi evo..originally stickered in the high 20s/low 30s/. When the sold new they were giving them away, I got like 6k off sticker for mine 2006. A low mile stock/good condition 2006 evo today goes in the mid 20s

Niche type cars like these simply hold their value a bit longer. Look at current used raptor pricing!
Sponsored