Sponsored

GT350/R Long-Term Reliability

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
The motor in my 2017 just went at 12,000 miles. Complete loss of oil pressure. I bought it with 8k so its possible the previous owner dogged it - but the car was absolutely mint when I purchased it. I always let it come up to temp, changed oil, etc. Ford hasn't told me what the point of failure is yet, but it sits at the dealer right now awaiting a new motor.

After all of my research (really hard to find concrete stats) and combative posts on the GT350 facebook group when ANYONE posts about Gen 1 vs Gen 2 failures etc - I knew I had to buy the warranty right after purchase. It's pretty evident as I read through the 100+ page thread regarding failures that was created pre 2018 I think. I applaud those that have had trouble free ownership but if you're a realist as I am, you want to be prepared. These are finicky cars.

You have to understand with these cars the inherent risks due to the uniqueness of the motor. I commend Ford for building it. If the GT350 wasn't as amazing of an experience as it is, people wouldn't take the risk - including myself.

I'm currently debating on what to do with the car when I get it back. I just love it to pieces though. The sound, high revving excitement, how it looks, total dude magnet and everyone waves/revs/wants to chat at gas station - I love it. It all makes for a fantastic ownership experience in the short 9 months I've owned it. Really my favorite I have owned thus far, even with the engine going out.

My wife and family members keep asking "What are you going to trade it in for" but the GT350 really does speak to you. I fear if I go to a Mach 1 or back over to GM...i'll miss it.

I'm thinking about extended the extended warranty if that is even possible. I just don't want to deal with the motor pooping out again, several tows, coordinating with dealer. The worst part is the wait, honestly. I just want to drive it again......
Gen 2 motor failure rates are lower then Gen 1. No way I could go back to a Mach 1. Id have to move to a GT500
Sponsored

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I can't do an automatic, or else I would consider the GT500.

Well, that makes me feel better about the new engine.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
You just don't understand.

You screw with me as a long-time Ford race car driver and owner. I have won more races with a Ford than anyone else that I know of (except the NASCAR teams).

You can go your own way with your:
2022 GR86 (a slow Japanese "tuner car" car)
2017 GT PP1 (the best car that you own)

I own a Porsche as I like the finish, and their long time racing successes. I had always wanted their car. Excuse me from having some business sucess and to be able to own more than a silly little Japanese tuner car.
Just curious since I also raced Ford, what type of racing and which race cars?

3F1C292D-B985-4782-8608-43E908D1D8AC.jpeg

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The motor in my 2017 just went at 12,000 miles. Complete loss of oil pressure. I bought it with 8k so its possible the previous owner dogged it - but the car was absolutely mint when I purchased it. I always let it come up to temp, changed oil, etc. Ford hasn't told me what the point of failure is yet, but it sits at the dealer right now awaiting a new motor.

After all of my research (really hard to find concrete stats) and combative posts on the GT350 facebook group when ANYONE posts about Gen 1 vs Gen 2 failures etc - I knew I had to buy the warranty right after purchase. It's pretty evident as I read through the 100+ page thread regarding failures that was created pre 2018 I think. I applaud those that have had trouble free ownership but if you're a realist as I am, you want to be prepared. These are finicky cars.

You have to understand with these cars the inherent risks due to the uniqueness of the motor. I commend Ford for building it. If the GT350 wasn't as amazing of an experience as it is, people wouldn't take the risk - including myself.

I'm currently debating on what to do with the car when I get it back. I just love it to pieces though. The sound, high revving excitement, how it looks, total dude magnet and everyone waves/revs/wants to chat at gas station - I love it. It all makes for a fantastic ownership experience in the short 9 months I've owned it. Really my favorite I have owned thus far, even with the engine going out.

My wife and family members keep asking "What are you going to trade it in for" but the GT350 really does speak to you. I fear if I go to a Mach 1 or back over to GM...i'll miss it.

I'm thinking about extended the extended warranty if that is even possible. I just don't want to deal with the motor pooping out again, several tows, coordinating with dealer. The worst part is the wait, honestly. I just want to drive it again......
I've know several guys that have had the engines replaced on 2017 models and it all came out fine. There can be complications, but I would give it another go. It's a special car for sure. I just don't think I could part with mine. THere is nothing out there that compares for me.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I just connected back to here (internet and a death). It's really silly (IMO) to post a non-Ford car in the Mustang threads.

I am here not only because I like the Ford brand, but I also like the future of the Ford race cars.

My 2019 Ford Mustang GT350 was delivered to me on 7-5-2019. It's a year out of warranty. It's still a great car:
2019GT350a.jpg

MSRP is here:
2019GT350MSRP.jpg

I plan to keep the car and get some new tires, It will be a collector car one day as the only Ford flat-plan-crank car.

It's a great car with a special engine for $60K.

Sponsored

Kidynamite22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
I’ve got a 2016 Ford GT350 with just over 16k miles on it. I was never a “car guy” before owning this. Brother has a 2015 911 Turbo but he was the one that told me to go drive a GT350 and I was immediately smitten. Power, balance, and performance.
Unfortunately this week my Shelby started leaking transmission fluid and the dealership determined it was cracked in two different places. I’m pretty astonished the transmission would already go down given the car has never been tracked or driven hard. It’s out of warranty but the Ford dealership is going to put a game plan to work with me on it. The challenge is you can’t get a Tremec 3160 transmission and the dealership has no ETA when it’ll be available. I’m debating whether to keep the car after it’s repaired. It’s the best car I’ve ever driven but I’m also conscious about long term reliability. If I can get Ford to issue a warranty, I’ll probably hang onto it.
The car is an absolute beast. I love it.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Sorry to hear about your transmission issues - I'm not sure that I had heard of this happening before. Please keep us posted on what happens and if you are able to get pictures I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate seeing them.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
The challenge is you can’t get a Tremec 3160 transmission and the dealership has no ETA when it’ll be available. I’m debating whether to keep the car after it’s repaired. It’s the best car I’ve ever driven but I’m also conscious about long term reliability. If I can get Ford to issue a warranty, I’ll probably hang onto it.
I thought the Mach 1 has the same transmission as the GT350. If it does, then Tremec trannies are still available.

Spodie5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Almost 37K on my 2016 with no issues so far. The car did have 28K on it when I bought it, so not sure if any previous issues. I will say that the oil filter was not torqued properly by the Dodge dealership I bought it from, only hand tight. It was the first thing I checked when I got it home and could have potentially caused an issue.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I thought the Mach 1 has the same transmission as the GT350. If it does, then Tremec trannies are still available.
It's the same base product - TR3160 - but the Ford parts website shows two different part numbers for the two different cars. Could be different internals because of the GT350's higher redline and unusual vibrations, or it could be a minor adjustment to the housing. All they have to do is move one bolt and it's not the same part.

Sponsored

Kidynamite22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
Sorry to hear about your transmission issues - I'm not sure that I had heard of this happening before. Please keep us posted on what happens and if you are able to get pictures I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate seeing them.

Legit have searched multiple Shelby forums and haven’t viewed one posting about a transmission going out. I’ve seen an engine here or there but nothing on transmission, think I just got the bad luck of the draw.

Hopefully I can get some pictures when the dealer pulls it out. I’ll be very curious how long it’ll take to get a transmission. Luckily it’s not my daily driver but I’m going through withdrawals not being able to cut her lose on the freeway on ramp

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I’ve got a 2016 Ford GT350 with just over 16k miles on it. I was never a “car guy” before owning this. Brother has a 2015 911 Turbo but he was the one that told me to go drive a GT350 and I was immediately smitten. Power, balance, and performance.
Unfortunately this week my Shelby started leaking transmission fluid and the dealership determined it was cracked in two different places. I’m pretty astonished the transmission would already go down given the car has never been tracked or driven hard. It’s out of warranty but the Ford dealership is going to put a game plan to work with me on it. The challenge is you can’t get a Tremec 3160 transmission and the dealership has no ETA when it’ll be available. I’m debating whether to keep the car after it’s repaired. It’s the best car I’ve ever driven but I’m also conscious about long term reliability. If I can get Ford to issue a warranty, I’ll probably hang onto it.
There must be GT350's, with their tranny's intact, that have been totalled in accidents? Heck, on this forum alone, I've read of several GT350's in accidents and being declared as totalled. I know it feels morbid searching this way. Kinda like searching the obituaries for a great deal on a house or used car. But one person's misfortune is another's good luck.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
You just don't understand.

You screw with me as a long-time Ford race car driver and owner. I have won more races with a Ford than anyone else that I know of (except the NASCAR teams).

You can go your own way with your:
2022 GR86 (a slow Japanese "tuner car" car)
2017 GT PP1 (the best car that you own)

I own a Porsche as I like the finish, and their long time racing successes. I had always wanted their car. Excuse me from having some business sucess and to be able to own more than a silly little Japanese tuner car.
@Tomster

@jmn444

Oh you missed a good one.

Kidynamite22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
There must be GT350's, with their tranny's intact, that have been totalled in accidents? Heck, on this forum alone, I've read of several GT350's in accidents and being declared as totalled. I know it feels morbid searching this way. Kinda like searching the obituaries for a great deal on a house or used car. But one person's misfortune is another's good luck.
Talked to the dealership today. Man they are really stepping up. They are submitting a goodwill claim to have the transmission covered even though it’s out of warranty.

GAGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1983 S10 Sport Pickup
"Good will claim" I'll have to remember that one.
Sponsored