GT350/R Long-Term Reliability

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
Hi everybody!

I own a 2019 GT350R with about 4800 miles. It's a wonderful car and a ton of fun to drive. No real issues to report. No problems so far (knocking on wood). I have the extended warranty on my car but I don't fully trust the local dealerships (within 50 miles) to not screw things up. I do all my oil changes.

I've done two light track days a while back but now my GT350R is pretty much relegated to occasional fun drives and Cars-N-Cofffee events. I probably drive it 2 or 3 times per month. Lame, I know :D

I keep on hearing how fragile these cars can be and I wonder what the long-term reliability is with our cars. In particular, I keep hearing about engine failures, alternator failures, and air conditioning failures (that appears to be a general S550 Mustang thing). Anything else that's failing on these cars?

So my questions are:
1. As far as can be determined, how does the long-term reliability of the GT350/R look?
2. Aside from engine, alternator, and AC issues, what else is failing prematurely?
3. What can we do to increase reliability (e.g., frequent fluid changes, checking oil level frequently, putting the car on a lift and checking for loose nuts and bolts, etc.)?
4. Does tracking these cars greatly increase the likelihood of issues/failures? (I'm thinking it does due to the higher levels of FPC-induced vibration not seen on mainly street-driven cars)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!
Sponsored

Last edited:

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I wonder about this as well. I love the sound and the look but I would never get one at this point because the engine seems to be an experiment of engineering compromises.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
My 2018 has 49k miles on it. Each weekend I take it out and hit 120 or so. It uses .5 liters of oil in 6k miles and the AC works. Original engine. No leaks or drips, cause I actually drive it to keep the seals from drying out and running fresh gas it itā€¦even at 6 dollars a gallon. Go see what happens to garage queen GT3s and their leaky rear main seal. Had my 1299S out today and itā€™s not a queen either. Did a quick 130 on it today, hit a bump on the highway at 110 and got airborne a bit. That was fun.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
My 2018 has 49k miles on it. Each weekend I take it out and hit 120 or so. It uses .5 liters of oil in 6k miles and the AC works. Original engine. No leaks or drips, cause I actually drive it to keep the seals from drying out and running fresh gas it itā€¦even at 6 dollars a gallon. Go see what happens to garage queen GT3s and their leaky rear main seal. Had my 1299S out today and itā€™s not a queen either. Did a quick 130 on it today, hit a bump on the highway at 110 and got airborne a bit. That was fun.
Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know.

I'm a former Army helicopter mechanic and noticed that helos that sit for weeks at a time tend to develop leaks and other issues. Same with cars.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
I drive the crap out of mineā€¦Iā€™ve got the flex plate rattle, and she will use a little oil when I go to Mexico and beat up on M4s and Scat Packs.

bought her with just a tic over 10k, and will roll over 40 in the next couple weeksā€¦already talked to RPG to send them the long block and her her gone thru, as I would like to keep original engine šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Put some dynamat on the flex plate, itā€™s a cheap easy fix to get rid of the flutter noise.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
This has been beat to death. Most of the conjecture comes from those that donā€™t nor have had any of these cars. I boosted one of mine with the mileage under 2k. You have ford warranty in place. Wouldnā€™t give it a second thought nor listen to the noise. One of those examples posted in this thread.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hi everybody!

I own a 2019 GT350R with about 4800 miles. It's a wonderful car and a ton of fun to drive. No real issues to report. No problems so far (knocking on wood). I have the extended warranty on my car but I don't fully trust the local dealerships (within 50 miles) to not screw things up. I do all my oil changes.

I've done two light track days a while back but now my GT350R is pretty much relegated to occasional fun drives and Cars-N-Cofffee events. I probably drive it 2 or 3 times per month. Lame, I know :D

I keep on hearing how fragile these cars can be and I wonder what the long-term reliability is with our cars. In particular, I keep hearing about engine failures, alternator failures, and air conditioning failures (that appears to be a general S550 Mustang thing). Anything else that's failing on these cars?

So my questions are:
1. As far as can be determined, how does the long-term reliability of the GT350/R look?
2. Aside from engine, alternator, and AC issues, what else is failing prematurely?
3. What can we do to increase reliability (e.g., frequent fluid changes, checking oil level frequently, putting the car on a lift and checking for loose nuts and bolts, etc.)?
4. Does tracking these cars greatly increase the likelihood of issues/failures? (I'm thinking it does due to the higher levels of FPC-induced vibration not seen on mainly street-driven cars)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!
1. Just fine
2. Nothing
3. Nothing
4. No

If you avoid the urge to modify the engine and drivetrain, it's just another Ford 300,000 mile car.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
1. Just fine
2. Nothing
3. Nothing
4. No

If you avoid the urge to modify the engine and drivetrain, it's just another Ford 300,000 mile car.
I hope you're right, man! I'm keeping it 99.9% stock.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Put some dynamat on the flex plate,
I thought all GT350's were manual transmission cars?

Most of the conjecture comes from those that donā€™t nor have had any of these cars.
The flat plane crank does have more vibration than cross plane. The Ford UDUD configuration is untested in high mileage mass produced cars. So the longevity is unknown. I'm sure Ford did stress testing and the engines lasted until the warranty expires in enough cases that they let it loose on us consumers.

Testing beyond warranty is not normally done by any manufacturer.

ArnyFlowers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Iā€™m at 11k with my 2017 R. Bought it with 8k 3 months ago. It has been my daily driver and makes my commute (50 miles daily) tolerable. I donā€™t baby her and rev her out to 7-8k every time the road opens up. Just drive it and enjoy. I bought it from Carmax and have th maxcare warranty, so I do have a little peace of mind.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Yawn. One thing thatā€™s consistent is this stuff predominately comes from the Gt crowd. Go figure.

I thought all GT350's were manual transmission cars?

The flat plane crank does have more vibration than cross plane. The Ford UDUD configuration is untested in high mileage mass produced cars. So the longevity is unknown. I'm sure Ford did stress testing and the engines lasted until the warranty expires in enough cases that they let it loose on us consumers.

Testing beyond warranty is not normally done by any manufacturer.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I have ~1800 mins of track time with mine plus 10.5k miles (mostly to and from track and on track) and so far so good. I imagine I will run into mechanical issues eventually, but that would be the case with almost any car that is tracked.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Why do I need to drive a 350 to make comments about its design? Nothing I have said is false and I never trashed the Voodoo.
Sponsored