Sponsored

Long term durability?

JT1652

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I drive a 2016 tech pack car, with just over 27,000 miles. I daily drive the car, including taking it on road trips. I replaced the tires at 25k miles and have not had any significant issues with the car. My question to you all is, how durable do you believe our cars will be as the miles accumulate? My first Mustang was a 94 GT that seemed to be falling apart at about 73k miles.
Sponsored

Madigon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Quality has improved by many orders of magnitude since the 90's race to the bottom. That said, the Voodoo vibrates like no other: only time will tell if we're all secretly driving time bombs...

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I almost daily drive mine (maybe every other daily drive it), and am at 20,000 miles with 3 track days. Just replaced the tires and the car feels brand new.

My engine does consume oil (3 quarts now in 5500 miles IIRC), and could probably add a 4th but am due for an oil change so I'm not bothering at this time (it's just below the bottom hash in the dipstick). So, I don't know if anything is wrong with the engine, or if it's just the loose piston seals and the mountain driving (I'm often using engine braking going down hill). Ford says it's normal to burn up to a quart every 500 miles (seems crazy high consumption to me), so maybe this is normal. Hopefully the engine will run like this for quite some time, since I plan on taking this car over 200,000 miles eventually.

The transmission seems quite stout, but my clutch seems pretty weak. It has definitely worn a bit, and has pretty soft engagement compared to when it was new. I have 200,000 miles on my 350Z, and only swapped clutches for performance reasons. I have 80,000 on my GTI and clutch still feels as vague as it did when new. So, not sure how long that will last.

My interior is rattling a bit, but so is the one in my Z and my GTI. Given how much the engine vibrates, I don't expect much from the Mustang's interior over time.

Overall, many of the components are based on the regular Mustang or other Ford products, and should be well vetted and relatively long lasting IMO. Of course I just now remembered that by back-up camera does have an intermittent failure, so who knows how long things will last.

I'll be driving mine for quite a while though!

-T

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Knocking on wood before during and after I type this - I was driving '80s Foxes in 2011 when the Coyote engine came out and I decided to get into newer stuff. Those engines were bulletproof - the Coyote is also a terrific motor, and I fully expect the Voodoo to last well over 100,000 miles. I frankly don't see any reason one won't last 200k. Who knows, if nothing I want more comes out, I might keep mine that long.

Yes there are going to be buzzes, rattles, etc. My car only has 19,000 miles on it, so it's virtually brand new.
Sponsored