Lockdown boredom already?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Frankly, I don't quite get why we should be expected to pay fifty thousand euros just for the engine and looks. I don't see why a €20K Focus can have lots of extras and a build quality to die for, while a €50K Mustang must be forgiven for its lousy build quality and short list of options on the grounds that it has a great engine.
How much can a V8 cost? Is an engine block with eight holes ten times more expensive than one with four? Are four extra pistons and four extra sets of valves and four extra spark plugs worth their weight in gold? How much is a standalone Coyote engine? $10K perhaps? So the remaining 40K must account for the car itself, musn't it? So why wouldn't it be fair to expect at least the same level of quality as we would from a €30K European model?

Let's remove the engine from the equation. Let's look at a manual Ecoboost. A 2.3 litre turbocharged straight-four, similar to what the other Ford models have. No Brembo brakes, no fancy gearbox, no nothing. And yet it's noticeably more expensive than most of Ford's European models, with less options and a poorer build quality. Where's the logic in that?
OK, I have no problem paying extra for a bit of exclusivity. But then don't scrimp on the options and build quality and say "the car is cheap, you're paying for the engine". No, it's not cheap, and I'm not paying €50K for an engine.
Agree with all of that. Build quality doesn't cost money ! It is possible to build a Mustang properly (mine was, ish) but it cost the same to build mine as the others they threw together with a hammer and nails. Now, some build quality is designed in as well (as in easy to build properly) but Ford US have access to the same tools as Ford elsewhere and basics such as paintwork and panel fit cost the same however you do it. I saw a picture on here of a Bullitt with no paint on the drivers door jam - how is that ever acceptable ?

Trim materials is a different matter, but again Ford Europe do a much better job with some of their materials such as the Vignale spec Mondeo I had so the resources are there, and don't cost that much more to build that way.

One thing in Ford's defence, shipping a car to the UK from the US does cost money compared to locally produced car.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Looking forward to seeing the stats you have to substantiate your ramblings.
Because of course no person, unless they were a complete moron, would draft numerous posts on the apparent plethora of reliability issues with such confidence without having the numbers to back up their claims.

Last edited:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As for BMW/Audi etc being a beacon of reliable motoring and build quality, I suggest you view this video which is based on claims from WarrantyWise.

As for certain models of cars being more reliable, see below where the BMW M4 makes an appearance. With all the above nonsensical ramblings I'm surprised the Mustang has not made the list.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm not complaining about reliability. I think contemporary Ford vehicles are quite reliable, and the Mustang may be no exception.
I'm complaining that in a 50K euro car I don't get features that a 20K euro Focus gets. No memory seats, no front parking sensors, no heated windscreen, no global closing, etc. And I don't think the V8 engine alone is enough to explain that.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward to seeing the stats you have to substantiate your ramblings.
Because of course no person, unless they were a complete moron, would draft numerous posts on the apparent plethora of reliability issues with such confidence without having the numbers to back up their claims.
If you say I am a moron I must be ...... :cwl:

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I'm not complaining about reliability. I think contemporary Ford vehicles are quite reliable, and the Mustang may be no exception.
I'm complaining that in a 50K euro car I don't get features that a 20K euro Focus gets. No memory seats, no front parking sensors, no heated windscreen, no global closing, etc. And I don't think the V8 engine alone is enough to explain that.
EXACTLY this ! Nobody has mentioned reliability, just build quality and trim quality

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
As for BMW/Audi etc being a beacon of reliable motoring and build quality, I suggest you view this video which is based on claims from WarrantyWise.

But again I am talking about build quality and interior materials used, fit and finish etc not reliability.

I am merely using my own experience of car ownership over 30 years which to me is far more relevant than articles that dont always reflect 100% of things that need to be considered. 3 minor faults on my GT all of which i put down to a lack of attention when it was being put together. It is a little disappointing but not the end of the world as all have now been fixed.

i've owned many many Fords all (but one, there is always going to be a bad car made whatever brand) have been solid, reliable cars and I am sure the GT will (fingers crossed/touch wood etc) be the same. I have a 5 year old Focus on the drive, good as gold and still looks new.

Clearly for you the GT in its entirety is exactly what you want and expect for a £45k+ car (i paid nowhere near that but was lucky), good for you, maybe I am just a bit more critical of things. As I have always said the GT is a fantastic car but I do question in the UK the 'value for money' aspect that is always banded about, its competitively priced but its no longer what i would call cheap. With the M2C now out of production the GT does have a real niche again as that was the only car i saw as a potential rival.

Last edited:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You clearly have different priorities. I do not care about memory seats etc in fact front parking sensors I found to be an annoyance and would not buy a car if i was forced to have them.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EXACTLY this ! Nobody has mentioned reliability, just build quality and trim quality
So you have zero data to back up your ramblings apart from hearsay. Congratulations

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
So you have zero data to back up your ramblings apart from hearsay. Congratulations
Just a question and I am not taking sides :like:

Have you actually browsed the other forums and seen what issues people find on their brand new cars - from EB's right up to 500's ?

I love my mustang and knew what I was in for, but I'm not blinkered to the issues they have.

WD :like:

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You clearly have different priorities. I do not care about memory seats etc in fact front parking sensors I found to be an annoyance and would not buy a car if i was forced to have them.
It's not about priorities. It's about value for money. I don't necessarily need those features (after all, I bought the car without them anyway), but it bothers me that Ford has the nerve not to give them to me (not even as an optional extra!) when the car is so expensive.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
but it's a mustang. your 50k buys you into the mustang club even though a ford fiesta drives much better
OK, I'm fine with that. I don't mind paying more for entering an exclusive club. But if I do that, at least have the courtesy to build the car with a bit more care and attention. And give me the same features that you give to those who aren't members of the club. You can't build a 30K car, charge me 50K for the privilege of becoming a club member, then say "sorry, I can't give you memory seats because I need to lower my costs, and the car is cheap". That hefty premium that you charge for the exclusivity should cover those memory seats, and then some.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Kid Jensen

To be fair, most if not all of the things you list would have been obvious on a viewing and a test drive, they are also easy to find by forum / YouTube browsing etc.

If I wasn't 'comfortable' after my research then I wouldn't have bought one in the first place ?

WD :like:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not about priorities. It's about value for money. I don't necessarily need those features (after all, I bought the car without them anyway), but it bothers me that Ford has the nerve not to give them to me (not even as an optional extra!) when the car is so expensive.
The amount i paid in 2017 was great value for money compared to anything else on the market. Would i buy a 2018+ car now with all the gimmicks for thousands more, no
Sponsored