Terrible Paint and Body Work

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500 (ordered), 2018 F150 Platinum, 2019 M40i
I am really disappointed in the quality of paint and body work on this car.

There are multiple spots on the car with clear coat problems. One spot on the hood is a bubble and one on the top of the rear quarter panel is a hole that appears to be down to the base layer.

The rear bumper looks like it was dragged around a warehouse before it was put on the car. There are scratches / impressions in the plastic that were there before paint.

The lower fenders don’t line up with the doors and the hood doesn’t line up with the top of the fenders.

I am wondering if this is a problem with any other cars. The paint and panel alignment on my F150 is crap as well.
F2BFCB23-42EE-4920-B92F-D4C728A2743F.jpeg
E0DBCB8D-C60B-4FAF-AC5A-76FE3F65B4C5.jpeg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ford will cover it under warranty.

OP
OP

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Ford will cover it under warranty.
Do I just go to my local dealership and talk to a service advisor? I bought the car far away from my house so going back to the original dealer is not really an option.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, if it falls within the bumper to bumper warranty, any ford dealer should take care of you.

I will recommend you do your homework and find out who has the best dealership body shop in the area.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Good tip, Tom.

And Chris, mighty sorry to hear about all the issues, especially the paint. Mine has some slight OP on the vertical areas from gravity, no doubt but it's slight. All the horizontal surfaces are clean with the exception of two tiny spots that are just well, spots and in hard to see areas. Not raised or indented, just discolored a bit. BB-size or thereabouts.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The Mustang is known for poor fit and finish, doesn't matter of its a base model or GT500. Just make them fix it.
So true. Ford will make it right. Do your due dillegence and find the best dealership body shop in your area.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
My grandpa always said, “Buy a Ford and drive the shit out of it and don’t worry about it.” At the end of the day, it’s a Mustang built on the same line as the EcoStang. Drive the shit out of it and get an extended warranty!

OP
OP

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I took it to my local dealer and the service advisor first said they can't go to Ford with the paint and body panel issues and that I should go back to the dealership I purchased it from. He later came back and said since it was a GT500 he would see what he could do with his manager but has not done anything or returned my call.

I am now taking the day off tomorrow and driving back to the dealership I purchased the car from. I am dreading this as their dealership is really small and I don't even think the body shop has full time staff.

Can anyone check their fender alignment and let me know if they align with the hood correctly? There is a significant difference at the top of both fenders between the hood and the fender. In one of the pictures I put a pen up to show the difference which is about a half of the pen width.

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg
IMG_3794.jpg

A better shot of the hole in the clear coat on the top of the quarter panel.

IMG_3789.jpg

I found this on the front bumper which looks like one large scratch that hooks around was painted over.

IMG_3791.jpg

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Pretty dissapointing to read this post when you think about spending $90,000 for a new car. When it was delivered to the original dealership why didn't they "inspect" the car and fix it before they even sent it out to the customer??? So thats now 2 dissapointing things.

Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I never accept a new car anymore without inspecting it for this very reason. Its not just Ford. It could be a lousy factory job or damage during shipping, washing, etc. I know the dealers will offer to 'detail' it if there is swirl but often that is just a temporary fix until you wash it once or twice. Some level of orange peel isn't unusual. Thin clear coat and bubbling are totally unacceptable and shouldn't have been shipped from the factory.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Personally on panel gaps and fitment i would handle those myself if at all able to. My concern would be they would make it worse than it was or mess something else up. And depending on real imperfections in the paint....man depending on the dealers bodyshop, i feel the same way. Having a repainted/blended body panel on brand new car is almost worst (to me) than having a paint imperction from the factory.....tough call for me...And my experience with my local dealers has made me feel this way.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'm sorry to see this.....

My '15 has/had horrific panel fit and paint from the factory. not to mention grind marks under the paint on the top of the passenger rear quarter 'ducktail'. I thought about having the grind marks repaired but didn't want to tear into factory paint, so the solution was to put a GT350TP spoiler on so my OCD isn't sparked every time I look at the car. The rest I wrote off to Ford's horseshit QC and live with it, other than doing some minor paint correction. Paint and panel fit is one thing on my list of reservations about buying a GT500.

An '18 VW Tiguan in my fleet has near perfect paint and panel fit compared to my Mustang and new F-150, and cost a fraction of either. What Ford lets slip is unacceptable.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
OP
OP

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris