Sponsored

Paint Very THIN

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So I took delivery of my black GT in the dark and the other day during its first wax I noticed inside the doors the paint is not covering anything past the very edge of the outside of the door, My hood has a couple chips and seems to chip very easy. I took it to my step brothers body shop and he says the car is just not covered well from the factory esp on the fiberglass hood. He checked the chip on the hood and front bumper and said its the thinnest paint hes seen on a new car yet. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in and the manager would look at it then send pictures to ford to see if they would warranty the paint. Has anybody else had this problem and were you able to get ford to cover it? We build f150s here at claycomo and the paint never seems this thin on them. I know with the new water based paint its not gonna be like older cars but my 2011 had no chips after 5 years of ownership and everything was covered. The inside of the doors on this 15 look terrible and I would think it would be susceptible to rust.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Runamuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My Black GT has the same paint issue inside the doors. No paint chips yet, but I rarely drive it.

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Just out of curiosity (I'm from KC originally) which dealership did you buy your Mustang from?

I've always had a great experience with Rob Sight in Martin City. Ford's paint may not be the best, but if it's really that bad, they will go to bat for you

Nick C.

OP
OP
50hhh

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Just out of curiosity (I'm from KC originally) which dealership did you buy your Mustang from?

I've always had a great experience with Rob Sight in Martin City. Ford's paint may not be the best, but if it's really that bad, they will go to bat for you

Nick C.
I buy all my fords at Gary Crossly in Liberty. I purchased the 2011 new here, My dad just bought a 2015 f150 here too. They usually take care of us pretty well but I can see this paint being an issue just from talking to the manager on the phone today. I know fords paint isn't the greatest these days but this is THIN I mean less than a piece of paper all the way to the primer.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Ford's paint is notoriously soft, as well as thin. I'd recommend getting a coating put in it like CQuartz, or the like, and ONLY taking it to an experienced detailer. I've fixed issues other 'detailers' have left behind, and they can wreck a car very quickly.

Sponsored

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my paint is thin as well and very susceptible to chipping.

tr_ms3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 2016 GT350R Coming
Seems like a lot of people have been having issues with the clear coat. I think that a lot of people have been able to get Ford to repair it.

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I avoid my dealership at all costs.
my TPMS faulted and now It does not communicate with my car. tells me everytime I get in the damn thing. I went to dealer and asked them to fix it. they estimated that they would have the car for at least 2 days. I bought a 40 dollar tool from CJ pony parts and did it myself in twenty minutes.

OP
OP
50hhh

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Seems like a lot of people have been having issues with the clear coat. I think that a lot of people have been able to get Ford to repair it.
My step brother says on these new cars they dry the paint too fast and the clearcoat is too hard so rather than take a hit and indent(like older cars) it just chips right off taking the thin layer of paint with it.

Sponsored

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
The paint on my trunk lid is like that also, in bright sunshine is when mine is noticeable .

black1985gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT premium
I have a nice chip on my hood. Being that it chipped down to the primer or further it's white and extremely noticeable on my black hood. I'm taking it in to the dealer Thursday to have the cooled seats looked at so maybe I'll being this up as well.

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
I had something glance my hood then hit the windshield yesterday. Windshield is fine but the hood has a nice chip in it now!! I am so pissed. I will be ordering the Dr. Colorchip repair kit asap!

OP
OP
50hhh

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Well Ford wont have any incentive to fix the paint issues if we don't voice it. I don't care if paint is water based or not it should not chip to the bare metal or fiberglass from hwy average rocks.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I have minor factory paint imperfections and my paint is very thin as well. I showed the Ford Service Manager a small paint bubble on the trunk lid and paint run I have on the rear bumper. He told me the body panels come in only with primer and his guys would do a worse job painting than the factory did. He suggested I not mess with it. I will live with my thin paint and imperfections instead of risking much more.
Sponsored