Sponsored

Keyless entry not working on passenger side

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
Just to confirm, there are Mustang owners in this thread, with the issue that do NOT have dash cams, no?
I do not have a dash cam. Mine is based on my battery level. Deep sleep triggers the passenger side to not function. Drive the car, the battery charges and it works.
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Just to confirm, there are Mustang owners in this thread, with the issue that do NOT have dash cams, no?
yes. I do not have a dash cam but I do have a GPS module that can drain down a car battery.

I am thinking this is a car battery issue. Below a certain voltage it doesn't work on the passenger side

Please when you have the passenger side not working, record what the voltage of the battery when everything is off.

Last edited:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
For me, this seems to be that the car does not have a 'Sleep' functionality at all. It has a battery protection mechanism. Whenever the battery is drained down past a certain point, it deactivates non critical items to conserve power. Now, they still have enough juice to start the car and, if you drive enough, it will recharge the battery and they will reinstate the deactivated systems/items.

I believe with any power tapping additions done to the car, be it enhanced sound systems, GPS, cameras, etc., they all can and will drain the battery and eventually prevent the passenger door handle from working.

KoreanKK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KK
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost 101A automatic
Hey, actually it is how the keyless entry works. Or at least, I am having same trouble as you so don't feel too low. You are not alone.

Anyways, that was also same logic for two of my friends who own 2015 and 2017 mustangs. You cannot use keyless entry to passenger side, and my guess is that you, as a driver, will never need to open passenger side first before opening the driver's side. I believe that the only time when the keyless entry "works" on the passenger side is only if driver's side is open.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
For me personally, sometimes going directly to the passenger sides works, SOMETIMES.
So, I do not think I can fully agree with your theory.

Hey, actually it is how the keyless entry works. Or at least, I am having same trouble as you so don't feel too low. You are not alone.

Anyways, that was also same logic for two of my friends who own 2015 and 2017 mustangs. You cannot use keyless entry to passenger side, and my guess is that you, as a driver, will never need to open passenger side first before opening the driver's side. I believe that the only time when the keyless entry "works" on the passenger side is only if driver's side is open.

Sponsored

Sam74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT premium
Hello, I have a 2018 GT 10 Speed, and yesterday I noticed my key-less entry is not working on the passenger side door. The crazy thing is I can get it to work probably 1 time a day, I tried again today, but it doesn't recognize either of my key fobs. My driver door and trunk opens with no problem using key-less entry. Do anyone have an idea of what is going on here?
Same issue with my 2019 i thought it is just normal

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2

Not sure about you, but I open doors for ladies.

Also, my keyless entry works on the passenger side.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So far, since it started working, it has always been working. The only thing I did was remove my GPS unit and fully charge my battery before my drive. I did a longer drive the other day (40-50 min round trip) but that was the only other drive I have done since last week. I have been checking it daily 2-4 times a day. maybe this is frequent enough to prevent it from sleeping. Not sure. When I test the handle, I do not open nor start the car. I just actuate the lock unlock several times.

In all cases, I have been only going to the passenger side handle without going to the driver's side. It is always working.

If you get it working, go out and start touching the handle daily and see if it keeps on working. Just curious if I am preventing it from sleeping by touching the handle or if the fact the battery is fully charged, desulfated (feature of the charger) and the drain of my GPS unit being gone is the reason it is working.

Like I said, the starter seems to be able to start the car with rather low voltage in the battery. I still would like to know what the battery voltage is for those experiencing the problem. Having the ability to start is not sufficient enough to say your battery is good.

You can see from my posts, it was not working for a while. Now, it works and has been working religiously.

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
So far, since it started working, it has always been working. The only thing I did was remove my GPS unit and fully charge my battery before my drive. I did a longer drive the other day (40-50 min round trip) but that was the only other drive I have done since last week. I have been checking it daily 2-4 times a day. maybe this is frequent enough to prevent it from sleeping. Not sure. When I test the handle, I do not open nor start the car. I just actuate the lock unlock several times.

In all cases, I have been only going to the passenger side handle without going to the driver's side. It is always working.

If you get it working, go out and start touching the handle daily and see if it keeps on working. Just curious if I am preventing it from sleeping by touching the handle or if the fact the battery is fully charged, desulfated (feature of the charger) and the drain of my GPS unit being gone is the reason it is working.

Like I said, the starter seems to be able to start the car with rather low voltage in the battery. I still would like to know what the battery voltage is for those experiencing the problem. Having the ability to start is not sufficient enough to say your battery is good.

You can see from my posts, it was not working for a while. Now, it works and has been working religiously.
As I've said several times now...drive the car and it'll work. Don't drive the car to where the battery gets low and it goes into deep sleep and it won't work....pretty simple....or keep doing your daily tests w/ multiple updates every hour.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
JohnHi Steve
As I've said several times now...drive the car and it'll work. Don't drive the car to where the battery gets low and it goes into deep sleep and it won't work....pretty simple....or keep doing your daily tests w/ multiple updates every hour.
you call it deep sleep. I call it a battery protection software to prevent deep discharge.

Either way, it is tied to battery voltage.

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
I just went in for an oil change and I asked about my battery and the dealer told me it passed it test with flying colors. So I believe this problem occurs when I just go to work and come back home for a week or so without going nowhere else, and my job is about 17 minutes away from me.

tee_cup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teecup
Vehicle(s)
GT
Something tells me I am in the same boat. I am about 20 minutes from the office. Driving to work the engine barely gets hot.
With Covid-19, working remote even more so, thus less driving. Probably why my passenger side is temperamental.

I just went in for an oil change and I asked about my battery and the dealer told me it passed it test with flying colors. So I believe this problem occurs when I just go to work and come back home for a week or so without going nowhere else, and my job is about 17 minutes away from me.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
So I had posted a few months back about the trunk not opening when the doors were locked and I hit the button above the tag. Dealer confirmed that the proximity sensor was never hooked up.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
dealership checked out my car's passenger handle and said all was fine. Did talk to me about battery saving feature and that the computer systems of the car do drain the car slowly. He took one look at the fact that my car is just about 1 year old with 3677 miles and said that I should hook up a battery charger with auto float mode to it. He said that our car has the ability to stop the alternator from charging the battery and spin freely/ disengage a clutch as another fuel saving method. As long as the car has enough juice to run the car, the alternator is disengaged. When it gets low, it will reengage and charge the battery again. He did say that because of this , it is not uncommon for the battery to fail sooner.

moral of the story, drive your car more often or take measures to keep the battery above 12 volts.
Sponsored