RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
The buttons on the key dont even work for me while I am in my apartment. Doesn't the intelligent access single only travel a foot or so? Couldn't you just not leave the keys next to a door or window?
bad guys use really fancy antennas that can pick up the signal from further away than the average/low quality stuff in the car. If buying a $5k antenna lets them drive off in even just one $30k+ car, its a win.

Before making suggestions, try understanding the problem. Its not like its some far fetched hypothetical paranoia, this type of theft already exists and already happens. The OP original question is a good one, and there are probably others who would be interested in disabling the feature as well (me, for example, which is why i'm watching the thread). Instead of assuming we're too stupid to do something like move our keys away from the window, maybe you could try to understand the issue first. If you want to learn about the issue, try google.
Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
bad guys use really fancy antennas that can pick up the signal from further away than the average/low quality stuff in the car. If buying a $5k antenna lets them drive off in even just one $30k+ car, its a win.

Before making suggestions, try understanding the problem. Its not like its some far fetched hypothetical paranoia, this type of theft already exists and already happens. The OP original question is a good one, and there are probably others who would be interested in disabling the feature as well (me, for example, which is why i'm watching the thread). Instead of assuming we're too stupid to do something like move our keys away from the window, maybe you could try to understand the issue first. If you want to learn about the issue, try google.
Before making assumptions as to whether or not I think you are stupid (:lipssealed:) maybe you could read my post again. You see those funny looking symbols at then end of the last two sentences, those are question marks.

I understand the so called problem, thanks Google :like:. I also understand no one is spending five thousands dollars just to steal your Mustang. Is it potentially a way a thief could steal your car, sure, but so is having a key fob in the first place, or wheels. I have had my apartment and car broken into so I certainly understand the want to mitigate that risk. I am much more worried about someone smashing a window and just opening the door. If disabling the smart key feature makes you feel safer I certainly wouldn't call you stupid, for that at least.

This is in response to your post and not something I would have posted otherwise as it is off topic. To be fair though, so was the discussion on if we should be able to just shoot them.

Last edited:

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I also understand no one is spending five thousands dollars just to steal your Mustang.
Of course not. Who would build a master key, and only use it to steal just one car? Luckily for them, there are millions of cars that use this technology.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I thought the issue was with the fob signal being easily copied, as it has a long range that any scanner within 100 ft (or so) can pick up. The keyless entry only has a signal range of a couple of feet. Using the fob seems less secure....
One of the main cause of thefts in the UK is from relaying keyless entry signal. I think that's because thieves can carry out the activity at night and when they want to, they haven't got to wait for you to activate the fob. Also, i believe the relay signal equipment is cheap and easy for thieves to obtain. Yes, we try not to leave keys near windows and put them in Faraday cages but it's just another thing to worry about when technology is supposed to make things easier.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Not much help (sorry), but my Jeep Cherokee has a menu setting for passive entry on/off. If FCA can figure it out it can't be that hard!

Sponsored

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Before making assumptions as to whether or not I think you are stupid (:lipssealed:) maybe you could read my post again. You see those funny looking symbols at then end of the last two sentences, those are question marks.

I understand the so called problem, thanks Google :like:. I also understand no one is spending five thousands dollars just to steal your Mustang. Is it potentially a way a thief could steal your car, sure, but so is having a key fob in the first place, or wheels. I have had my apartment and car broken into so I certainly understand the want to mitigate that risk. I am much more worried about someone smashing a window and just opening the door, that's why I have deadbolts on my cars. If disabling the smart key feature makes you feel safer I certainly wouldn't call you stupid, for that at least.

This is in response to your post and not something I would have posted otherwise as it is off topic. To be fair though, so was the discussion on if we should be able to just shoot them.
This, many cheaper ways to steal a car.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Why not just use what other do, and get a "key box" (or basket) to keep your keys/fobs in, as you enter your house... ??

Digital thieves can't steal a signal if they don't see it.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
My keyless car is in a locked garage at night, so someone would have to have a sort of elaborate record-and-follow plan to steal it. I did buy this pair of Faraday thingamabobs off Amazon:
MONOJOY 2 X Car Key Signal Blocker Case, Keyless Entry Fob Guard Signal Blocking Pouch Bag, Antitheft Lock Devices, Healthy Cell Phone Privacy Protection Security WIFI/GSM/LTE/NFC/RF Blocker
by MONOJOY

They do seem to corral the emanations from the Intelligent whatsis fobs: I put my keys in the pouches and put them on the console; the car reported "NO KEY FOUND". I have arranged to have the pouches hung where the keys have always hung—next to the inside garage door—so storing and finding them probably won't be much of a hassle.

Last year I quit using the remote-lock-unlock feature of the 2014 car after reading that the crooks were using cheap devices to record the codes when people left their cars in mall parking lots. As soon as the driver was out of sight they'd open the car, dig for goodies and for registration papers. Having the address of the owner, they could go directly there and be relatively sure of an uninterrupted period of burglarization. I also carry my registration card in my billfold, now.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Last year I quit using the remote-lock-unlock feature of the 2014 car after reading that the crooks were using cheap devices to record the codes when people left their cars in mall parking lots. As soon as the driver was out of sight they'd open the car, dig for goodies and for registration papers.
That hasn't really been possible since the 90's when they started using rolling codes and encryption. Its been so long in fact I was able to find an article about it in the Times from 2001

HOW IT WORKS; Remote Keyless Entry: Staying a Step Ahead of Car Thieves

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Well what's next to elude the thief ,' finger print secured fobs' maybe ?? No matter what technology we get the criminal will always develop away to get round it and that appears to be a fact ! They don't respect other peoples property and sadly never will .

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So back in the 87-93 Mustang era - way before “fobs”, those 5.0’s were hot tickets to be stolen... and there were 2 tricks that could prevent a vehicle from being started and driven off:

1) remove distributor rotor

2) splice in a “key” between the ignition switch (NOT the key cylinder, the actual slide switch). The “key” would be like think of a harness connector. You have a male and female part that when plugged together creates and completes an electrical connection. When the connection is broken (unplugged), no power = no start! So one could place this key (spliced) into the ignition switch, hidden under the dash. When the owner leaves the vehicle, he/she unplugs and takes the “key” with them....

So.... for the smart folks reading #2 above, essentially someone could do the same in an S550. If you implement a “key” between the modules that “talk” when a fob is present - if that “key” is removed, then when a fob is present (or a theft device pretending to be a fob), there’s no way for the fob/theft device to “talk” in order for a start signal to be implemented. No start = no drive away...

Disrupt the signal path with a PHYSICAL key-like on/off switch - and BINGO, no one can drive off with the car using any type of rolling code decoder.

Sure NOTHING can stop a flatbed or tow truck from towing the vehicle away - but 90% of stolen vehicles are driven off...

So who’s gonna be the smarty who designs the “interrupter key” to the S550? Whoever you are, just be sure to give me some credit for the idea..... :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That stinks to live in an area that has bad theft and to have no garage to park your car in. I find it hard to relate as even in somewhat bad neighborhoods here people don't steal cars. And at night I don't worry because it's in the garage.

I agree with the others that a bag to block the signal is the way to go - it's inconvenient, but if you can't afford to move I don't see another easy option.

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic Grey, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
That hasn't really been possible since the 90's when they started using rolling codes and encryption. Its been so long in fact I was able to find an article about it in the Times from 2001

HOW IT WORKS; Remote Keyless Entry: Staying a Step Ahead of Car Thieves
Just FYI, that's been recently proven to still be a problem. A combination of a signal jammer and some clever electronics/timing allows a device, attached or near a car to basically intercept an unlock request from the fob, somehow instigate 2 unlock requests (not sure whether this is automatic as part of the handshake or whether the signal block just means the victim has to press the button twice) and then the device blocks the second command request from the fob and catches it before the code is rolled by the car... it then stores the second token automatically for retrieval/use later on.