Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
@Evolvd : Did you read thru this thread? Issue is & has been stated many times the 'ReStart" feature. Go with the ATX-20HD as many have, pick any one of several mount options (MeLe, L C Fab, MMR, Fathouse Fab....), fully charge oem & new AG batteries and you're golden. Again, problem was/is those batteries with Restart.
Did you read my first sentence that you’re replying to?
Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Did you read my first sentence that you’re replying to?
Yes sir, of course I read that you were just now seeing this thread. My point was I saw NO mention of ReStart feature in your comment. I see the H5 does have Restart....SO, was trying to be helpful to direct you to a better choice in AG battery.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Yes sir, of course I read that you were just now seeing this thread. My point was I saw NO mention of ReStart feature in your comment. I see the H5 does have Restart....SO, was trying to be helpful to direct you to a better choice in AG battery.
Mine didn’t have an issue with restart, it had an issue where the battery BMS would stop incoming voltage and that freaked out the car’s BMS. This caused the car to ramp up voltage to the point of forcing itself into limp mode.
Also, someone mentioned disabling BMS with Forscan….you can’t, I tried. You can select that it’s off, but it still works in the background. At least on the 2021 models.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Mine didn’t have an issue with restart, it had an issue where the battery BMS would stop incoming voltage and that freaked out the car’s BMS. This caused the car to ramp up voltage to the point of forcing itself into limp mode.
Also, someone mentioned disabling BMS with Forscan….you can’t, I tried. You can select that it’s off, but it still works in the background. At least on the 2021 models.
I don't think you're understanding the issue. The "restart" gives the charging system fits because depending on what the charging system recognizes the charge level/state of the battery determines whether it tries to save effort or give full charging.

Something with the restart reserve tricks or fools the charging system into believing the battery has more charge available than it does, and so the result is low voltages to the point that it fails, rather than recognizing that it needs to increase voltage and lend recharge.

There's nothing wrong with the battery's restart feature. It's that having that feature makes the charging states wonky and inconsistent to the point of malfunctions and issues.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I don't think you're understanding the issue. The "restart" gives the charging system fits because depending on what the charging system recognizes the charge level/state of the battery determines whether it tries to save effort or give full charging.

Something with the restart reserve tricks or fools the charging system into believing the battery has more charge available than it does, and so the result is low voltages to the point that it fails, rather than recognizing that it needs to increase voltage and lend recharge.

There's nothing wrong with the battery's restart feature. It's that having that feature makes the charging states wonky and inconsistent to the point of malfunctions and issues.
No I understand exactly what you’re saying and that’s not what my issue was. My H5 was at full charge and the battery BMS would prevent any more charge from coming in. This made the car BMS assume there was a charging issue and would ramp up alternator output above 15.5 which is where the BMS freaks out and starts shutting things down and going into to limp mode.
My battery worked fine when it wasn’t fully charged, but once it reached 100% it would cause the car to freak out. I never had an under voltage issue, mine was always over voltage.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Battery (ATX-30HD) is in and going to be in the car overnight with a full charge. Made up an aluminum hold down for it, with an aluminum bottom sheet screwed in 4 places with RTV on the threads into bottom of the battery box. I’ll update after a few start/idle/drive cycles in the near future.

14E6AA16-43EF-41C3-841F-4D681DCF8661.jpeg

E3E152BE-98AC-4259-9E25-7E56941E5DBB.jpeg

BC09D410-C5EE-4372-8452-92F5CA95DA59.jpeg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Battery (ATX-30HD) is in and going to be in the car overnight with a full charge. Made up an aluminum hold down for it, with an aluminum bottom sheet screwed in 4 places with RTV on the threads into bottom of the battery box. I’ll update after a few start/idle/drive cycles in the near future.

14E6AA16-43EF-41C3-841F-4D681DCF8661.jpeg

E3E152BE-98AC-4259-9E25-7E56941E5DBB.jpeg

BC09D410-C5EE-4372-8452-92F5CA95DA59.jpeg
It needs to have a full charge before you hook it up to the electrical system.

Edit:
Ill.expand on this. Your electeical system is smart. It knows the current charge state of your old battery and it will get thoroughly confused if you mess with what it knows.

It is important that your oem battery is full and charged in a monitored way (chassis ground and hot via fusebox) so that the bms module knows your battery state. Replace it with a fully charged lithium battery and you don't have to do the bms reset.

If your oem battery was not full.when you removed it, and the same is true of your lithium battery, your bcm is going.to be confused and you will have problems.

At this point, just do a bms reset with forscan.

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It needs to have a full charge before you hook it up to the electrical system.

Edit:
Ill.expand on this. Your electeical system is smart. It knows the current charge state of your old battery and it will get thoroughly confused if you mess with what it knows.

It is important that your oem battery is full and charged in a monitored way (chassis ground and hot via fusebox) so that the bms module knows your battery state. Replace it with a fully charged lithium battery and you don't have to do the bms reset.

If your oem battery was not full.when you removed it, and the same is true of your lithium battery, your bcm is going.to be confused and you will have problems.

At this point, just do a bms reset with forscan.
All this info was known, and was done in that same manner. Thanks though.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
All this info was known, and was done in that same manner. Thanks though.
Ok, it sounded like you just threw it in there.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Started it up this morning with the newly installed AG ATX-30HD. It had a good 12 hours of sleep mode overnight. Charging was still showing a little high at 14.6-14.8V. So I did a BMS reset. Started it back up and voltage dropped to a nice 14.2V stable. Took it out for drive to let all adaptive strategies to learn. Voltage never budged from 14.2. I did 27 miles with 3 engine starts in between. So far so good.

Battery voltage at rest after 15 minutes in the garage is at 13.09V on my VOM.

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
Hello Cory… so the ATX 30 fits without being too tall and fitting the OEM battery cover perfectly?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hello Cory… so the ATX 30 fits without being too tall and fitting the OEM battery cover perfectly?
Currently fabricating something right this moment to allow the cover to fit. Will post pics up soon.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory