Sponsored

jacking rails

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Yes they are worth it. I smacked mine on some speed bumps and no damage.
Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Back is the early 2000's I had a BMW 740il m sport and lowered it 1.5" .n The car was low and long which translated into all speed bumps and high spots she bottomed out right on the pinch welds as well as other important items. Back then no one mfg'd jacking rail for the car, so I had to have a set made. It was a little pricey because I have to have them welded on . However well worth the high price. Now jacking rail are mass produced and a lot lower in price, so just get them. You wont regret it.

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
They sold jacking pucks for C5 Vette's pretty cool idea on a framed car, same concept.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
have the steeda rails on both my cars. if they made them for the escape i would buy them too! so much easier.
i knew i wouldn't get to my cars over the winter so i took the jack out to the garage and within 10 min i had the car up on the no flat ramps to sit until i had time.
also if you are changing/rotating tires, you have one point to put the jack then put jack stands at both ends so you can go to the other side and do the same. rotating all 4 tires made easy.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Zane, The Pinch weld is a compromise and the best and only spot to jack up your car. Jacking rails are the best buy for your Stang, and worth every nickel. I have a set from BMR which are better quality then some of the others and a tad longer along the side of your car. I removed them from my 2018 and installed them on my 20. They make rotating tires and changing oil a breeze. JMO.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

Derek's GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have the Steeda rails and they work great for all maintenance work. One jack point and half the car goes up. Yes they do stiffen the chassis and you can feel it!
I agree. Every S550 should have these. I just put them on my Convertible GT. Also feels like putting a subframe connector.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. Every S550 should have these. I just put them on my Convertible GT. Also feels like putting a subframe connector.
OK, I'm convinced.

Still a couple questions:
Looking at Mr Steeda's offerings, I see two choices for the coupe, one at $149, the other at $109. The less-expensive one seems different only in that it is "full length". Why would anyone order the more expensive ones?
Once installed, are these rails visible from normal viewing angles? I mean in a casual glance, will they be a feature of the car's appearance, or would it take a stretch to see them?

PS: At the risk of getting into a contentious exchange about "feels like" added stiffness, I submit that there is little likelihood that anyone's butt-dyno can make a valid discrimination between with- and with-out jacking rails. That'd be all mental.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have the short ones and soon realized some of the limitations. Sold them and installed a full length set. I would recommend the full set for the "jack it anwhere" ability. As far as seeing them. You can only see them at eye level if you are on the ground looking at the side of the car. In other words not you can not see them.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I used to have the short ones and soon realized some of the limitations. Sold them and installed a full length set. I would recommend the full set for the "jack it anwhere" ability. As far as seeing them. You can only see them at eye level if you are on the ground looking at the side of the car. In other words not you can not see them.
I did the same. Steeda short rails at first and swapped them out for BMR long rails. I like having my jack stands as far apart as possible for easier access getting under the car from the sides. This is also another reason why the Quick Jack would not work for me.

You can not see the rails unless you are on the ground. I also agree that if rails add any stiffness it would be imperceptible to a human.

Put the rails on, play around with where the jack needs to go to lift both wheels up at the same time and level. Then mark the rails for future reference. It's an old race car trick from when I used to do that.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
OK, I'm convinced.

Still a couple questions:
Looking at Mr Steeda's offerings, I see two choices for the coupe, one at $149, the other at $109. The less-expensive one seems different only in that it is "full length". Why would anyone order the more expensive ones?
Once installed, are these rails visible from normal viewing angles? I mean in a casual glance, will they be a feature of the car's appearance, or would it take a stretch to see them?
I had the same question. I see no advantage to the more expensive, heavier, yet shorter jacking rails. I know the shorter ones are the older version, but I would think that they would make them cheaper... yea well.

You won't even notice them without literally getting under the car.

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
The Steeda Ultra Lite rails (the shorter ones) are made a little different than the newer longer ones.
The Shorter Ultra Lite low profile rails have 3/16" ANGLE IRON BRACKETS/W HOLES welded onto the 1" x 2" rectangular tubing at each end.
I believe this is the reason for the increased price difference
The problem with the shorter ones for me was:
Great to jack your car up..., But I like to put my car up on 4 jack stands on the rails (spread pretty far apart) and the shorter rails just didn't allow me to do this safely.

I took my short Steeda jacking rails off and modified them as follows:
Sectioned a 8" piece in the middle of the rails to move the rear bolt holes to the 2 chassis holes farther back.
Then I lengthened the front approx. 5", ahead of the front 2 holes, then reworked and lengthened the rear 4" to the rear of the rear 2 holes, using 1" x 2" steel rectangular tubing.
Also modified the bolt holes to allow more spread on the mounting.
001-a.jpg

004-a.jpg

(There are 7 threaded holes available on each side for bolting the rails on the S550 chassis) -Mustang GT shown-
2018-mustang-underside.jpg

Now I can put my front jack stands right behind the front wheels, and the rear stands just in front of the rear tires on my GT350.
Perfect for working on tires, transmission, exhaust, rear end, oil changes, etc.
Jacking Rail-1.jpg

Interested in the chassis bolt-hole specifications ?
SEE: Favour - Anyone Got Any Jacking Rails OFF the Car ? | Page 2 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

I really like the spread of the jack stands
IMG_0131-a.JPG

If you are thinking like me you definitely want the longer ones...
Sponsored

Last edited: