Sponsored

Jacking rails, yes or no?

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
How are they working for you with jack stands?
Have you used them to get all four wheels off the ground?
Rails are pretty easy to work with.
I have the BMR full length. They work great with jack stands, jack directly under the mirror and put a stand on both ends of the rail. Get some jack stands with the shallowest "V" or even flat topped. I put my car up on four stands with all four wheels off the ground for rotating the tires, swapping out the winter tires, or inspection / wrenching underneath. Which also allows me to level the car somewhat on my sloped driveway. They protect the undercarriage from tall speed bumps. They are great if you don't have an extra set of wheels and plan to take only the wheels to the tire shop for mount/balance.
Sponsored

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, Performance Blue, Black stripes
I have them there just OK - I wouldnā€™t recommend them really ... Look for better options

Terry W

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just giving you a heads up: my brother got these for his Shelby but even with the low profile jack he was using, the puck still stood too high to get under the pinchweld section.

If you have an even lower-profile jack than he did it might work - but that was the issue we ran into with his car.
Yes me too with my 2019 GT350. I removed the Jack cradle and the puck still would not slide under. I then Jacked it up without the cradle or puck and it just did have enough clearance. Very carefully I might add.

Terry W

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The weight is negligible. Trade 5 double cheeseburgers for 5 salads and you'll probably break even. Love the versatility and even lowered on 30 series tires I can still slide my Craftsman aluminum jack under the car easily. Car is also rock solid with 4 jack stands under it.

49919756328_409f2d2d2d_h.jpg
Craftsman aluminum Jack. Thanks I will look into it.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Only because 3,000+ people have looked at this thred.

Absolute waste of money:

1. Unless you're in a timed event, that you need to jack the car up in 2 sec.

2. Just put 1 or 2 Hockey pucks on the jack and place it on the existing rail (please zoom into location on the photo below where the pucks are). When jacking one side of the car at a time I jack the car up in the middle of the door and place jack stands where the pucks are in this photo.

3. The Hockey Pucks are $1.00 each and don't scratch the bottom of the rails.

Total waste of money. (for a 2021 Mach 1, other Mustangs may have different plastic parts that prevent the Hockey Puck trick)

If you're in a competition most use what's on the Factory Ford Race cars. (however this requires welding)

https://shop.watsonracing.com/MUSTANG-JACKPLATE-WR-JACKPOINTE-p/wr-jackplate.htm

IMG_1407.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I have the BMR full length. They work great with jack stands, jack directly under the mirror and put a stand on both ends of the rail. Get some jack stands with the shallowest "V" or even flat topped. I put my car up on four stands with all four wheels off the ground for rotating the tires, swapping out the winter tires, or inspection / wrenching underneath. Which also allows me to level the car somewhat on my sloped driveway. They protect the undercarriage from tall speed bumps. They are great if you don't have an extra set of wheels and plan to take only the wheels to the tire shop for mount/balance.
I was referring to another post who recommended these.

506C04F4-B328-4573-BE47-B7BAEC641651.png

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
I have also been considering jacking rails, but have a concern maybe one of you guys that have them can answer for me.

1. I can see the benefit in slotted hockey pucks when using my trolley jack as they will locate nicely on the pinch weld and spread the load either side of it, so every thing is solid and stable.

2. I can see the benefit of the jacking rails when at a work shop with a two post hoist or for putting the car on axle stands.

3. What worries me is what locates the trolley jack on the jacking rail and stops it slipping off the jacking rails when jacking the car up, as the plate/puck on top of the jack will Always remain horizontal to the ground as the angle on the rail gets quickly more acute? Do you use some sort of cradle that cups the rail whith a pin below it that drops into the hole in the centre of the trolley jack, and is this supplied with the rails? I had to make something like this for jacking our Morgan up because they are a real prick to jack and the factory makes no allowance at all for it.

4. Assuming I get a flat by the side of the road and want to put the spare on, will the standard jack still work with the rails on ?

Yes I do tend to overthink things but sometimes thatā€™s a good thing šŸ˜„

Last edited:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I have also been considering jacking rails, but have a concern maybe one of you guys that have them can answer for me.

1. I can see the benefit in slotted hockey pucks when using my trolley jack as they will locate nicely on the pinch weld and spread the load either side of it, so every thing is solid and stable.

2. I can see the benefit of the jacking rails when at a work shop with a two post hoist or for putting the car on axle stands.

3. What worries me is what locates the trolley jack on the jacking rail and stops it slipping off the jacking rails when jacking the car up, as the plate/puck on top of the jack will Always remain horizontal to the ground as the angle on the rail gets quickly more acute? Do you use some sort of cradle that cups the rail whith a pin below it that drops into the hole in the centre of the trolley jack, and is this supplied with the rails? I had to make something like this for jacking our Morgan up because they are a real prick to jack and the factory makes no allowance at all for it.

4. Assuming I get a flat by the side of the road and want to put the spare on, will the standard jack still work with the rails on ?

Yes I do tend to overthink things but sometimes thatā€™s a good thing šŸ˜„
1. I just installed my wheels and it took me half the time to change them since I was doing a full side lift using the jacking rails and not worry that it could cave in.

2. I had to take my car to get one of the wheels rebalance and when they lifted the carI saw the post rest of the rails.

3. Canā€™t answer this question

4. Yes as they are just 1/8ā€ lower than the pinch weld

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Is my car the only S550 out there that if you jack up on the front pinchweld the whole side of the car goes up and you can take off both the front and rear wheels at a time?
FYI, there is something called the center of gravity. One side of any car can be lifted within some front to rear distance of that. If your Mustang is within the set of any cars and has a pinch weld within that range, one side of the car could be lifted there. Of course being able to do something a certain way does not necessarily make it the best way.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
FYI, there is something called the center of gravity. One side of any car can be lifted within some front to rear distance of that. If your Mustang is within the set of any cars and has a pinch weld within that range, one side of the car could be lifted there. Of course being able to do something a certain way does not necessarily make it the best way.
Both sides are like that, and I use the OEM jacking location. Also, I don't really have a choice...if try to change the front wheel and jack up by the front jacking point, the whole side of car comes up. including the rear wheels. I can't really just jack one corner without the other coming up also.

My point being, one of the big selling points of the jacking rails is the ability to quickly change both wheels on each side at a time...but when that is also available without the jackings rails then that point becomes moot so that's why I'm trying to figure out why so many people buy these for that feature when that feature is seemingly built into every S550.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My point being, one of the big selling points of the jacking rails is the ability to quickly change both wheels on each side at a time...but when that is also available without the jackings rails then that point becomes moot so that's why I'm trying to figure out why so many people buy these for that feature when that feature is seemingly built into every S550.
Just speculating, but as you said that is just one reason people buy them.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Last night on wet roads and in the dark, I misjudged an intersection left turn. I hit the brakes when I saw I was headed for a center divider curb. The end was tapered so I didn't bang the front wheel. But when I continued slowly the front dropped off the far side of the curb and I heard/felt a bang, which I hope was the jack rail banging down onto the curb.

Pinch weld is still intact but I think there may be some chipped paint.

Will inspect closer later today.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Both sides are like that, and I use the OEM jacking location. Also, I don't really have a choice...if try to change the front wheel and jack up by the front jacking point, the whole side of car comes up. including the rear wheels. I can't really just jack one corner without the other coming up also.

For me it was because it spreads the load across the jacking rail section, protects the pinch welds, and also serves as a singular location for jacking the car up and supporting the car via jack stands.
Sponsored