Sponsored

Is this weird?

serbiansizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker here based out of NC. The Mustang has been on my shopping list for a long time and I am getting to the point where it may be in my cards to buy one this year. Some of the cars that I have on my lists are a C6, Mustang, and Camaro.

The biggest challenge I've come across is just being able to spend a little time with a manual mustang to get a feel for it. I have gone to used lots and drove a couple but between the cars being somewhat beaten up and the salesperson being chatty, the experience was so -so. I can't find any on Turo either within the State, which would have been ideal.

Has anyone ever tried to meet up with other Mustang owners to go for a drive with them and get a feel for the car? Would that be an odd request? In my early years, I've definitely let people test drive my Mazdaspeed 3 when I first got it but I was also a lot younger and didn't care all that much.

Curious what your thoughts are and if you have any suggestions on how to get a proper test drive in.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't think your question to meeting with another Mustang or even M6G owner to understand the car better or to gain knowledge is weird.

You'll definitely get better responses and possibly someone local to you in the Regional sub-forums on here. Go to the main forum listing, then scroll down to the Regional area listed by country/state groups.

The only way to learn is to ask questions and exploring. I'm sure someone local may not mind another Enthusiasts quest for learning more about a Mustang and it's operation.

---

From those you have driven, what model years were they and was your thoughts?

What model year or Mustang platform are you seeking?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I realize this will come across more weird than your OP but it just goes to show how different people can be. I bought my first Mustang in Oct 2020 having never even driven one. I had the sales guy leave one open the night before so I could come sit in one to make sure Iā€™d fit. Other than that, nada. I had done enough reading online to know Iā€™d like it and sure enough, I did.

Based on what you say, I would think youā€™ve driven more than enough to know that these things drive great. And they do! I wish you the best of luck but if you continue to overthink it you may never pull the trigger. Look at it this way: how bad could they be?

Again, just the way I see things and Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t be popular opinion.

PS: Driving cars you have no intention of buying just to satisfy your own curiosity is really an unfair waste of the salesmanā€™s time. And his time is really the only commodity he has with which to make a living. Just a thought.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Why not buy a car, you're what's AKA as a tire kicker. Champaign taste beer pocketbook.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't see why a dealer wouldn't let you test drive one. Every time I have been willing to buy, the salesman was more than willing to drive it. Same story with my Hellcat.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
.....meet up with other Mustang owners to go for a drive with them and get a feel for the car? Would that be an odd request? ......suggestions on how to get a proper test drive in.
A: Hell yes it would be weird. I sure as shit wouldn't let you drive my car.

B: Just go do a test drive. Not sure what you consider a "proper" test drive, but a regular test drive is all you're gonna get.

Other than that, ask questions.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Why not buy a car, you're what's AKA as a tire kicker. Champaign taste beer pocketbook.
HA! You just said in a few words what I tried to convey in several paragraphs. So much for trying to be diplomaticā€¦

JB2017V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jeroen
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT ford mustang
I just purchased my first ever mustang just last week, a 2017 GT.
Prior to that I have been doing my homework, look around what was on the market before even settling on a mustang.

Then I started to look for as much information about it as I could, this place is indeed a goldmine for that, and slowly narrowed it down to my preferences.
Finally I found one that was to my taste and visited the shop that had the car standing there.
Because it was a second hand (imported with a salvage title as is 'normal' for those cars around here that come from the US) so I got as much information out of the guys there and had a test drive as well (first time in a mustang so one of the guys tagged along).
Most of it was me figuring out if I could fit in it (6,4 here).
Afterwards even more research (as by then I had the VIN number).
Week later I had a solo test drive and sealed the deal.

Long story short, do your research, ask questions to learn more about the car/model your interested in and in the end just trust your gut feeling.

As said before if you are seriously interested every sales person will let you make a test drive, but if thy think your just there because you want to get a kick out of driving one of these cars you might not even get to the point to sit in one, let alone drive it.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.hcmcstangs.com/

I'd hit this local club up. Can't say where it'd lead, but you can at least chat them up about the cars, features, characteristics, etc.

Go back to any of the local dealers and explain yourself, again if necessary, and see if you can go out again. Test drives cost nothing, and in this environment, they would never say no to a potential sale.

This forum is a treasure of insight into anything, everything, having to do with the S550 and Mustangs. If you're interested in features or drivability, you'll find the answer here.

The day I bought Skye was the first time in my life I sat in a modern Mustang. First time in 30+ years I sat in any Mustang at all. I had no concerns about drivability, feel or the experience. I wanted it.

I have no regrets about my purchase. The S550 kicks ass.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I don't find it weird & would let you take mine for a spin if I was close. Obviously I'd come along. But why not just take one for a test drive. I never once have taken the salesman with me when I test drove cars. Also been offered to take the car home for the weekend a few times.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Many dealers will allow you to take a car you are seriously considering buying overnight or for a weekend. There are a few minor hoops to jump through but it would satisfy what you want to experience.
There is one thing to be aware of and that is never leave any vehicle you own, or plan to trade, with them while you do a take-home. It's made the news here in the past about unscrupulous dealers selling customers cars while people test drove cars.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
...I bought my first Mustang in Oct 2020 having never even driven one. I had the sales guy leave one open the night before so I could come sit in one to make sure Iā€™d fit. Other than that, nada. I had done enough reading online to know Iā€™d like it and sure enough, I did.

PS: Driving cars you have no intention of buying just to satisfy your own curiosity is really an unfair waste of the salesmanā€™s time. And his time is really the only commodity he has with which to make a living. Just a thought.
Pretty much the same story for me. I went to the dealership multiple times while I saved up the money to buy one outright, but just to look at them. Thanks to this forum I knew exactly what I wanted and that I'd be very happy with it. The salesman was a Mustang owner himself and each time I went he offered to let me drive one, but I'd always tell him that what I was going to order would be different than the car on the lot, and that I didn't want to waste his time since I wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet. I ordered mine at the beginning of June 2020, took delivery four weeks later, and have had zero regrets since.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
For me a rental was the answer. Took for a weekend trip in an Gt vert and was sold. Likely hard to find a winter stang rental unless youā€™re in Florida. California or Hawaii

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Car rental? Then you can drive for a weekend or more.
For me a rental was the answer. Took for a weekend trip in an Gt vert and was sold. Likely hard to find a winter stang rental unless youā€™re in Florida. California or Hawaii
Manual (what the OP is specifically looking for) rentals are not a thing in this country, unless you rent privately or go through an exotic service.
Sponsored