Sponsored

Is this garage cliff going to be a problem?

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I bought a 2022 GT Premium Coupe with 20" painted alloy wheels last week from Ourisman Ford. I'm still waiting for it to be delivered (Apparently deliveries are backed up because all the delivery guys were shutdown last week).

I live in an apartment with a garage (while waiting for my new house to be built). The apartments are brand new and the parking lot does not have the "top coat" of asphalt installed yet so there is a noticeable cliff going in/out of the garage. This cliff does not afflict my 4WD Expedition. Once the last couple of buildings are finished in a month or two they will pave the top coat which will hopefully resolve this issue.

But for now.... is this going to be an issue getting the Mustang in/out of the garage? It looks like about 3" tall. I would really prefer to leave the Mustang in the garage rather than the Expedition.

If it is an issue, is there a good workaround?

Thanks.

20230104_123109.jpg
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'd back in if I was you and there shouldn't be an issue. Going forward might be kind of sketchy but I'm pretty sure my pp1 lip would clear a 3" curb.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Not in the least bit. Your car can clear around 6".

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would put a 2x6 or similar across the front so you can drive up in steps.
This sounds like a simple solution if there is an issue.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
you could pile some more gravel in front of it
This^^
just buy a bag of gravel in HD and dump it there.

Mustang with stock suspension will clear 3 inches. In stock form, it should be a bit over 5 inches of clearance. I wouldn't want to drive over this step multiple times a day though.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
It'll be fine. Some yellow speed bumps around here are taller than that and i get over them no problem. Yellow meaning the skinny kind that go from min to max height in less than an inch distance, not the 4 foot wide kind. There are some streets around here with cliffs almost like this in the road, and i go right over them. I do slow down for them, though.

Also, as mentioned previously, back in for a bit more clearance if you are worried about it. That way, you also get a wicked reverberation from the exhaust! Yeah!

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I can bump tires off a 6" curb and not touch the splitter or belly pan on 19" wheels and 40s. That is no problem in my opinion, but I don't know a damn thing so I'm told on here.

Now then, if your approach angle is 45* down hill into that tiny bump, may be an issue.

Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Im on pavement and the garage door concrete key is all of that

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
I can bump tires off a 6" curb and not touch the splitter or belly pan on 19" wheels and 40s. That is no problem in my opinion, but I don't know a damn thing so I'm told on here.

Now then, if your approach angle is 45* down hill into that tiny bump, may be an issue.
I bet your as smart as I am:like:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It depends on the drainage in the lot. If the elevation of the centerline of your parking lot is higher than the elevation right in front of your garage, you will have problems. If it is lower, you will be fine.

I've seen it both ways, all over the country. It just depends on how the engineer designed the drainage. Hopefully they designed everything to drain to the center of the parking lot.

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends on the drainage in the lot. If the elevation of the centerline of your parking lot is higher than the elevation right in front of your garage, you will have problems. If it is lower, you will be fine.

I've seen it both ways, all over the country. It just depends on how the engineer designed the drainage. Hopefully they designed everything to drain to the center of the parking lot.
It is slightly uphill towards the garage as you would expect.
20221226_161601.jpg
Sponsored