Sponsored

Is the Performance Package worthwhile?

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
I compared what Ford offers when you buy the car to say that the performance pack isn't worth it. But people seem to be crying about someone possibly getting a supercharger and not spending money on the things they spent their money on instead. The tears are dragging it out.
Tears no frustration maybe.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the active exhaust have a resonator?
it's absolutely no different from exhaust port all the way to the canister. Ie. yes it has the same resonator that's been on every V8 since 2015. It's just a rotating disk valve in one of the outlet pipes that ranges from closed to open.

On the Ecoboost it has real value. On the V8 I'm not that impressed. A simple H-pipe on an otherwise stock system is a very worthwhile $200.

Last edited:

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I found no option for a Power Pack when I built my 2021.
POWER pack 2 is a Ford Performance aftermarket catalog item.
PERFORMANCE pack 2 was terminated with MY20 so no, you won't find it on MY21. You're supposed to buy the Mach1 if you want that configuration.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
POWER pack 2 is a Ford Performance aftermarket catalog item.
PERFORMANCE pack 2 was terminated with MY20 so no, you won't find it on MY21. You're supposed to buy the Mach1 if you want that configuration.
Got it. Thanks.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
the industry is littered with cars with 'wrong way' rotors, by the millions. Anyway street use barely gets rotors warm anyway. The rotors could be made out of Gouda cheeze and maintain their physical integrity. :)
Someone explain to me how a rotor is "reverse flow" or not lol

Also I'm pretty sure the pp1 brake booster is completely optional. It just offers more assistance. To whoever said you had to swap that.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also I'm pretty sure the pp1 brake booster is completely optional. It just offers more assistance. To whoever said you had to swap that.
yeah that was "debunked" several years back by Vorshlag and maybe also Brian.

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
Is the PP1 a race suspension, certainly not, not even close! Is it a good platform to start from if you are going to keep your car for a number of years and mod it over time, I believe so. Is it worth what they are currently asking, that's up to your pocket book.
I've had a 14 TrakPak GT, which at the time as a poor man's Boss 302. The 14 TrackPak GT had more useable FPP's than the current PP1 and when it was stock it was pretty good, it was comfortable on the street and didn't wear you out driving 400 mile road trips at speed, just like the current PP1, in fact I drove my PP1 1,389 miles in two days and it was even more fun than my Mini Cooper S.
I turned the 14 TrakPak into a corner carver that could keep up and overtake a very well prepared Focus RS with another SCCA driver behind the wheel. Before you roll your eyes, for those of you whom have never had the opportunity to ride in a well prepared RS, I'll just say if you can find one, you really should. My 14 TrakPak was a beautiful Mustang and when I was finished with it, it was more race car than street car...the main reason I sold it, but I loved it and will always remember that 30 mile race with RS on I-5 South of Roseburg, OR...pushing the Mustang to redline in third and 4th. Great memories!
Back to the $64 thousand dollar question, for a person who doesn't want to build a 700+hp monster by adding another $15k over the stock GT, I think the PP1 is worth it if...you don't want to be laying on your back wrenching on the car, and just want to go out and enjoy it. As I said before, I don't think you could go to Ford and buy new FPP's and have them installed on the car for the $6000, again, if you want to buy used suspension parts that's your business, I don't and wouldn't.

old Mustang1.jpg

19PPA101.jpg

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Ive had 3 S550s and the PP1 A10 with Magride is absolutely worth it IMO.

A10 magride brembos active exhaust 3.55s worth it in my opinion.

I love my 20 A10 PP1

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Someone explain to me how a rotor is "reverse flow" or not lol
The base brake rotors draw air into the rotor vents from the outside, where you're hoping that enough cooling air can get past the wheel just to get into the rotor - and since it's not going to be getting any sort of ram air help the airflow is likely to be a bit lazy. That's backward relative to, or the reverse of, conventional rotor airflow that comes into the rotor from the back side.

There may not be much difference in most normal, street-only driving, though it perhaps could in mountainous regions. But it becomes a big difference once you "turn the wick up" in your driving.

With conventional rotor design, you can add cooling air ducts or deflectors to help direct more air towards the rotors, but you can't very well do that with the backward style rotors

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There's no need to pay for an entire package just to get the brakes and suspension when you can do them separately for less money. My Ford Track Suspension is better than what the performance pack offered.
So that, plus your supercharger, adds up to how much?

Generally, if you watch YouTubers, most "racing," is three honks and go a very short distance while at a roll. That's what most of these people are doing.
Which is utterly meaningless to anybody else's decision process regarding the value of the PP1 package.

I'm not trying to say that the PP1 is a good value here (at any of its prices over the years). Just that what other people choose to do with their cars is of even less value. If anything, I wouldn't do a supercharger just to avoid being lumped in with moron youtubers chasing "likes".

And with all of this, nobody even mentioned the issue of the half shafts.
Because that's a complete non-issue as far as whether the Performance Package is worthwhile. Try to stay on topic here.

Norm

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
It all depends on the torsen, if you need it then get the package, if not then do your own build and save the money and don't pay more for parts you'll be replacing anyway. My car was a non-PP car but I upgraded to the Red Bullitt Brembo brakes, PP belly pan and chin spoiler for cooling. For the suspension I went GT350R springs, sway bars, and strut tower brace which was all really affordable at the time, but I believe prices have gone up some. The only option I regret not getting, mostly because I couldn't find a car with it, was the 3:55 rear for the 6R80. I think it was a $300 option which just cost me $1k for a new diff and pinion.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ive had 3 S550s and the PP1 A10 with Magride is absolutely worth it IMO.

A10 magride brembos active exhaust 3.55s worth it in my opinion.

I love my 20 A10 PP1
Magneride is something that I would totally love to have. I installede the track suspension kit, and it's great. Car stays flat taking tight turns, but at times there are situations it isn't ideal.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Does the active exhaust have a resonator? I had headers that were way too loud and made my borla sound bad. I ended up using a borla resonator and mbrp catnack instead of the borla with the headers. It sounds like a throaty borla now with zero drone.
Adding an H (or X) pipe to the otherwise stock AE system is pretty fantastic. Quiet mode is still 98% the same, Standard is somewhere between the stock Standard and Sport, and Sport with the H-pipe is spectacular. A good bit louder, but with the H, it's a "tuned" louder (if that makes sense), I never touch Track on the AE anymore, it's just louder with some junky noise added in.

For the money for resonator replacement pipes, it's great deal. I've only read of one case where someone thought it was too loud, and to be clear, I'm not into a super loud exhaust and won't tolerate __any__ drone (which this does not introduce).

My PP1 with a tune, a couple of intake mods, an H-pipe and my wheel/tire setup (20x10, 20x11 running 285-35 and 305-35) is just about perfect. Well, it's a convertible, so I also added the Top Smart module which brings a convertible closer to perfect as well :)
Sponsored