Sponsored

Is magneride worth it?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
*again talking about a Bullitt with PP1, no idea what Magneride on a GT feels like.
Magneride on a GT feels exactly the same as on the Bullit. They are identical cars in this regard. Not sure why you would think they'll be different.
Magneride requires PP1 on a GT.
Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
MagneRide is proven. No gimmick. I love it.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Comes a standard on Canadian Bullitt's my only complaint is it's a bit on off compared to Dodge. It's off and you are driving a somewhat stiffer PP1* than standard. It's on, you teeth chatter a bit more but twisties (what few I can find here) are handled way better. But compared to a charger Hellcat with 3 settings of smooth, feel the bumps and I'm going to piss blood it's obvious Ford are a bit behind on this.
Off, on, huh?
As far as I know there’s no on/off switch.
Feel the bumps and piss blood?
Somethin’ is up with your car, methinks.
Either that or you’re driving on some pretty messed up roads.
I used to own a CTS V with GM’s version of MagneRide.
Worked fantastically in the Caddy, works amazingly in my Bullitt.
The feel is different, for sure, but that’s because they are different cars.
Have yet to piss blood but maybe that’s coming, I am getting older.

Last edited:

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Here’s a datapoint from my personal experience:

I have a 2020 BMW M2 Competition and my wife has a 2021 Mustang GT PP1 Vert with Magneride. I love the M2, but it’s pretty clear that the Mustang has the more capable suspension (even though it’s much bigger).

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Magneride on a GT feels exactly the same as on the Bullit. They are identical cars in this regard. Not sure why you would think they'll be different.
Fair point, didn't think of that

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Off, on, huh?
I used to own a CTS V with GM’s version of magnaride.
The Hellcat in full on firm I was referring to not the Bullitt.

As for on/off AFAIK in Wet and normal its in soft mode in Sport and track it's in hard mode and thats about as much differentiation as there is in the various modes.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
… It's on, your teeth chatter a bit more …
So is it the Bullitt or the Hellcat that causes your teeth to chatter when magnaride is “on”?
Or maybe it’s just the cold Alberta winter?
:)

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I wonder if ford forgot to update price for magneride package in Canada? :crackup:
It costs $3k less up north in here

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Wondering if its really worth it or a gimmick. I get the feeling that if it ever has any issues it's going to be very expensive and complicated to fix. Is it like the successor to air suspension?
Depends, yes they will cost more than basic shock/struts to replace when they wear out. but have you priced out GOOD 2 way or 3 way adjustable struts/shocks/coil overs? THose you have to get under the car and hood, to make changes, this you do from your seat, the aftermarket ones have much more in ways of settings, but other than an all out track car, it is over kill.
I have the mag ride. It is worth it, at least to me. to be able to soften the ride on wash board ,frost heave roads, my back thanks me.
But when I want to play, I have a much more responsive under pinning to keep the tire contact patch on the road.
I also think now that many vehicles now use this technology that the prices for wear parts will be lower than what the first cars that came with it cost. It'll be worth wild for shock companies to get into this segment of replacement parts, were before the number of units out there did not make it worth it.
Prices drop when you have a bunch of companies fighting for your dollar.
This is my first car with this, and it is better than the old way of one side fits all performance shock valving that can be very harsh on many roads.
If you live in an area that the roads are awesome, it might not be as big of a deal.
To me, the first time getting out of work with a sore back and being able to tone down the ride over bumps, was a god send and made it well worth the extra money.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Off, on, huh?
I used to own a CTS V with GM’s version of magnaride.
Maybe they left the shipping blocks in.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I wonder if ford forgot to update price for magneride package in Canada? :crackup:
It costs $3k less up north in here
MagneRide is a $1700 option. So, what, you're saying they give you $1,300 if you order it. :rolleyes:

Now, PP1+MR is $4500 + $3500 = $7000 in CA, versus $6500 + $1695 = $8195 in the US, so you could try to argue it's $1200 less..

That would be great if Ford was just selling the parts on the street. However, you have to buy the rest of the car to get it. So, when you do that, a base GT + PP1 + MR + 301A (required for PP1) = $47,875 in the US against $53,275 in Canada.

How's that $3,000 less?

Last edited:

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
MagneRide is a $1700 option. So, what, you're saying they give you $1,300 if you order it. :rolleyes:
MagneRide was standard on Canadian Bullitts, which were essentially the same as American Bullitts except for metric instrumentation.
If I recall correctly from when I ordered mine brand new at the end of 2019, the only option was the Recaros (which I did not choose). Everything else came with it.
As such, the price for the included MagneRide was not in any way discernible.
As for comparing the US dollar price to the Canadian dollar price, I think at the time we got a better deal on the MRSP if one were to simply apply the posted exchange rates of the day.
But that, though, does not tell you anything either, as the rate changes over time and the auto manufacturers don't price their cars in precise lock-step with the exchange rate.
Sometimes a car costs less in Canada, sometimes it's less in the US, and sometimes it depends on the car as much or more than the exchange rate.
All this to say that we did not get MagneRide for free in Canada on our Bullitts. It came standard and that was built into the price. Oh, and I really glad it did!

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
All this to say that we did not get MagneRide for free in Canada on our Bullitts. It came standard and that was built into the price. Oh, and I really glad it did!
Oh, no argument there. However, I was responding to someone stating that MagneRide "costs $3k less up north in here", which I felt couldn't be justified.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Absolutely worth it. Love it and can completely tell the suspension differences in every mode. Can even feel the back get soft in drag mode.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Oh, no argument there. However, I was responding to someone stating that MagneRide "costs $3k less up north in here", which I felt couldn't be justified.
Thanks, and I see now that he was not talking about Bullitts but GTs.
And about that, maybe a similar observation: I think the way Ford Canada invoices Ford vehicles sold in Canada may very well involve different combinations of apples, oranges and bananas - I mean, suspension packages, standard equipment, and other options - with somewhat different prices than in the US that may add up to price anomalies across the border that have little or nothing to do with exchange rates.
Despite this, in the end I agree with you because Ford ultimately wants to make a profit and so I don't think it will offer you any mix of packages in Canada on any version of the Mustang that will essentially give you MagneRide for significantly less here than in the US.
It's too expensive a feature for that. Ford, as I said, and no knock on Ford, ultimately just wants to make a profit.
Sponsored