Sponsored

Intake resonator

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
That’s an investing article… so essentially if it’s designed correctly, there’s a way to improve the intake response using Helmholtz resonators, but only Chevy did the R&D into the Vet. So what I get out of this is there’s no real R&D for ours aside from quieting down the intake sounds….. cutting my off 🤘🏼
PMAS CAI, traditional or fender well. Go with the PMAS No Tune if you’re staying with factory ECU programming.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
So what I get out of this is there’s no real R&D for ours aside from quieting down the intake sounds….. cutting my off 🤘🏼
What makes you think Ford didn't do any R&D on the GT intake?

OP
OP
Tmpst

Tmpst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 21 Exploder ST, 00 Excursion v10
PMAS CAI, traditional or fender well. Go with the PMAS No Tune if you’re staying with factory ECU programming.
Not trying to buy a whole new intake, just “improve” the modded GT350 one Ford put on our Mach’s.

The Mach comes with a modified tube to the open box GT350 intake (@Coastal-Mach posted pictures of the differences). I’d say they didn’t go past the sound reduction R&D because if they had then the standard setups on the 350 and 500 would have them, but that’s why I wanted to ask these questions. The knowledge and resource base here is incredible, and I would imagine there’s someone here that would potentially be able to speak to that. Because I can’t find anything that says they did actually put in the work that would deduce the resonator does more than deaden/capture sound, I could only conclude they did not.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I could only conclude they did not.
On the specialty cars MOST drivers want the sound. I can't see Ford designing a sound reduction device unless the EPA mandated it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tmpst

Tmpst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the specialty cars MOST drivers want the sound. I can't see Ford designing a sound reduction device unless the EPA mandated it.
Exactly. For me, I definitely want the sound. Can’t understand why they put it in the Mach 1 unless it was an EPA mandate or it actually has an impact on the air flow. Knowing I’m already putting money away for a Whipple kit down the road, I don’t want to drop money on another intake so… I’ll stick with this one 😬

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Exactly. For me, I definitely want the sound. Can’t understand why they put it in the Mach 1 unless it was an EPA mandate or it actually has an impact on the air flow. Knowing I’m already putting money away for a Whipple kit down the road, I don’t want to drop money on another intake so… I’ll stick with this one 😬
you can use a dremel to flatten out the resonance chamber inside the tube and then put a couple of layers of duct tape over the hole inside the tube. it's a free mod, but honestly I don't hear a difference after I put on a real GT 350 tube so buying one was a waste of money.

OP
OP
Tmpst

Tmpst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you can use a dremel to flatten out the resonance chamber inside the tube and then put a couple of layers of duct tape over the hole inside the tube. it's a free mod, but honestly I don't hear a difference after I put on a real GT 350 tube so buying one was a waste of money.
That’s good to know. I was thinking the same thing about the tube, but tape the outside or get something rubber I could silicon and cap it with. Not excited about sticking anything in the tube… Murphy likes me too much and my luck it would come off and get sucked up

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They did. And spent a lot of money doing so. They also realized the average consumer wanted a particular sound (research marketing), that 'swoosh' , so hence the sound tube. GT350 owners wanted to hear all the right race car noises, hence, no noise reduction or plumbing in sound, along with the open box.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
try filling it with expanding foam, then when it dries trim off the excess with a knife or a sanding drum on a dremel.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
then put a couple of layers of duct tape over the hole inside the tube
Bad idea. I'd silicone a plastic cover to the outside. There's a slim chance the duct tape could get sucked into the Intake manifold, or worse, caught between the throttle blade and housing.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure on the Mach 1 it is there for reflective wave tuning.

Would need to talk with a Ford engineer to know for sure.

spectreman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
Ford put those same type silly resonators in my S197 Bullitts. They were easily removed and capped off. They did nothing, affected nothing, improved nothing. Removal was simple and just cleaned up the tube appearance. Fear not.
Lee

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The 50 state noise standards include both exhaust and engine noise combined. So, if they want a little more volume out the back, they need to quiet down the front. So that’s likely the purpose of that piece on the Mach intake tube. Every db counts.
Sponsored