HP Track Alignment specs.

sachmo133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I'm trying to get my Mach 1 aligned with HP track specs. I have a nonHP car but have Steeda adjustable camber plates installed so the front should be fine to do. I took it to a dealer, I know but I asked them several times if they could do it and they told me yes, they could. Even talked to the guy that does it. Got my car back the front camber was -1.6 and -1.9 and the rear was -1.1 and -1.7.

When I called them about it they said they did it because they didn't want to be responsible for my tires wearing out faster than normal. (made it sound like it was going to be right away). After soon back and forth and telling them I know that the alignment will cause tires to wear out sooner and that I'm ok with it. I only drive about 4K a year and I do about 12 track days a year. I asked for an HP track alignment and was told that you could do it so that is what I want. In the end, I'm getting them to do the alignment again.

The odd this is that the car's camber is not balanced left to right. Even in the back, it is spec'ed for -1.5 so it is more and less on the sides. How important is it to have it the same?
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What was your toe ? It matters more when it comes to wear than camber.

It's somewhat important to have it close camber between the sides but way less important than toe - I wouldn't sweat over hundreds but half a degree is little much for an alignment shop.

M1N

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach1
Hopefully you will be able to adjust your car for more negative camber at the track. And when you’re done move it back to street alignment. I have the HP and here are the alignment numbers for street and track.

62345965-992D-4701-8D66-B3B27DE66459.png

OP
OP
sachmo133

sachmo133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
What was your toe ? It matters more when it comes to wear than camber.

It's somewhat important to have it close camber between the sides but way less important than toe - I wouldn't sweat over hundreds but half a degree is little much for an alignment shop.
The Toe is pretty good .06 on both sides (front) Total .12, rear is .12 L and .15 R

That was my understanding. It was just frustrating that I went over what I wanted before I took it to them and then when I dropped it off. Plus if they were concerned they could have just asked me and I would have confirmed what I wanted. I kept asking them "Can you do HP track alignment" Yes we can, are you sure? I have a nonHP car but I have adjustable camber plates so it will allow you to do the HP track alignment... on and on. They kept saying they could. There was nothing left for interpretation. So back to them.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Here is my method.

STREET
I jack up one front corner until the tire just lifts off the ground.
I put the strut nut to the center of the tower hole. That's OEM camber.

TRACK
Without a jack, I loosen 2 camber plate nuts. I loosen the 3rd nut slowly and the weight of the car pushes the strut nut inboard until it stops. This is about -2.7 deg camber.
Repeat for other side.

Tip:
After initially torqueing the 3 nuts to 35-40#, I put a paint pen mark at the forward facing spot of each nut. I align my socket wrench handle with the paint mark. I loosen each nut one turn. When tightening, I turn the wrench until the handle is facing forward, verified by the paint marks when done. So I never use the torque wrench again.

I haven't been to an alignment shop in a couple years. Bought a DIY string kit for $70. Takes a while the first time, but then I'm set.

I also bought a pair of LongAcre toe plates for $70, and I use those for quick checks and adjustments.

John S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
When switching front camber between street and track, does the toe change enough to also need adjusting?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
When switching front camber between street and track, does the toe change enough to also need adjusting?
Good question.

Yes, the toe changes. I set my street front toe for 0. Then track toe measures (via toe plates) 1/8" OUT after resetting camber for track. (I'd have to do the trig to convert inches to degrees.)

My thinking is 1) best tire wear on street (and demands more attention), 2) more responsive turn-in on track.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
For a car that only gets driven 4k miles a year, I wouldn't bother changing between street and track alignments, and just put the most agressive camber possible. I drive more than that, I have a set of firehawk indy 500 tires for the street, and I feel that they will age out before they wear out.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'm currently driving my car on the street (sort of - not a lot of mileage) with -3.5 camber / 0 front toe, 5 year old DWS06s. Works great :)

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm currently driving my car on the street (sort of - not a lot of mileage) with -3.5 camber / 0 front toe, 5 year old DWS06s. Works great :)
same (MP4S)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously though, don't go to an average dealership and expect them to do anything except what they do to align every other ford that comes in (which is get it inside the green bars and ship it).

Reactions: GTP

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I think I saw you the other day, took a pic.

pic.jpg

adeuel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I saw a car with camber almost like that driving down the expressway last year.
It literally only had about 2" of outside contact with the road.
Could see daylight under the rest of the tire.
I gave it a wide berth.

OP
OP
sachmo133

sachmo133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
For a car that only gets driven 4k miles a year, I wouldn't bother changing between street and track alignments, and just put the most agressive camber possible. I drive more than that, I have a set of firehawk indy 500 tires for the street, and I feel that they will age out before they wear out.
Yeah, I don’t think changing the camber back and forth is what I’m looking for. I just want it set correctly for the track. the -2,25 seems to be a moderate aggressive setting.

I appreciate reading about what others are doing but it would drive me crazy not knowing if I did it correctly.

I just got a set of Cont. Contact Sport for the street. Still trying to decide on my track tires. They need to be good in the rain so I may just go back to a set of PS4S But use 285/35/19 since i have a square set up for track.
Sponsored