Sponsored

HP Splitter... Should I or Shouldn't I...

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP 'M3162'
Hello all, for those of you who have the HP version of the Mach and live in the colder, snowier parts of North America where the roads may not be as smooth and where speed bumps and curbs may be a little higher to accommodate that winter snow I would like to ask.... Have you noticed clearance issues with the extended splitter? To my question, should I just have the dealer set the extension aside for posterity and not install it?
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about this few days ago over the last review video, check from timeframe 16:24. How close to the road the HP splitter gets is pretty scary to me, knowing how shitty our roads here are, filled with bumps, humps and holes, I'd damage it very soon.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
If you drive on the street with the HP splitter you’ll just have to accept that it will scrape. I haven’t found any problems driving on roads but in and out of parking lots and driveways…….that’s a whole different story. I would run it and have a backup or 2 in the garage for swapping g out in the future.

Last One

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Hello all, for those of you who have the HP version of the Mach and live in the colder, snowier parts of North America where the roads may not be as smooth and where speed bumps and curbs may be a little higher to accommodate that winter snow I would like to ask.... Have you noticed clearance issues with the extended splitter? To my question, should I just have the dealer set the extension aside for posterity and not install it?
I hate to provide an answer in the form of a question but here goes: Do you plan on using the stock tires during the winter? Although I live in NC, the front splitter has to be considered when entering or exiting parking lots and driveways. Additionally parking, when pulling into a space, and encountering those parking blocks/stops can also cause damage.
I chose to install mine as it's not a daily driver and tend to be more cautious and mindful or deliberate when maneuvering in and out of parking lots. The roads have never been an issue concerning large bumps and am grateful for that.
I love the looks of the splitter but in your case it may not be worth the worry. In any case, the car looks great without the splitter and if you might catch it at speed, it would definitely tear it up and could cause damage to other parts. Best of luck in your decision and you won't be wrong either way. Be blessed.

Mach U

Threads
Reaction score
Scottsdale, AZ - Winter / Carlsbad CA - Summer
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Genesis - 2021 Mach 1(HP)
If you drive on the street with the HP splitter you’ll just have to accept that it will scrape. I haven’t found any problems driving on roads but in and out of parking lots and driveways…….that’s a whole different story. I would run it and have a backup or 2 in the garage for swapping g out in the future.
Agree with all of your input. Taking your advice, what’s the replacement cost of the splitter? Also I’m guessing it’s just the lower piece that would would need to be swapped. Correct?

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with all of your input. Taking your advice, what’s the replacement cost of the splitter? Also I’m guessing it’s just the lower piece that would would need to be swapped. Correct?
Yeah just the lower can be swapped independent of the upper splitter.
part number is MR3Z-17626-AA
Levittown ford has it on their site for $400.30 so not that terrible of a price I don’t think. To me at least it’s worth grabbing one or two to tuck away for the future since I plan on handing this car off and not selling

stangcrazy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger SRT 392 - I know its not a mustang
So on the same topic but different question, are the cars with the HP lower overall? so is the overall clearance of the vehicle lower?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So on the same topic but different question, are the cars with the HP lower overall? so is the overall clearance of the vehicle lower?
That’s a good question. I don’t know but the spring rates are different for the HP cars that I do know.

*edit*
I just looked at tire sizes and the HP tires are almost an 1” shorter up front and over 1” shorter in the rear than the non HP cars. Still looking for overall vehicle height between the two…….

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
So I've had the car for a month now, and have twice scraped the splitter coming down a hill where it intersects a cross street. Super irritating. Can't tell looking at the car that it happened unless you're down lower and can see the jagged underside of the two points where it sticks out the farthest, but it's really infuriating. Gotta start driving with the mindset of, if you think you're pretty safe, you're probably not. You have to KNOW you're pretty safe. It seems to stick out even farther and lower than the PP2 splitter on my 2018.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Even my '15 GT PP's front lip would scrape on some of the more aggressive driveways around here, but nothing like my GT4, which I have to be very mindful of where I take it, even though it's still plenty driveable. I can't imagine the Mach 1 HP would be any worse than the Cayman, but even if it was as bad as the Cayman, that's too much headache for a daily driver IMO.

Long story short, if you plan to daily this thing, and especially if you live in a relatively hilly area, or one with potholes, or snow, etc, I would absolutely NOT install that splitter.

The splitter (as well as more aggressive suspension tuning in general) is a good 51% of the reason I'm not ordering my Mach 1 with the HP in the first place.

Sponsored

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
I enjoy the look of the splitter, and my car is a daily driver. I drove a 16 before so I kind have learned where and how to maneuver so it won’t scrape, and I have not scraped it yet (yeah my 16 did not have the extra splitter but still).

That said I am extremely cautious when driving where I see road scrapes (parking lots, elevation changes on roads, etc). If you keep that front end in mind and pay attention constantly to your surroundings you should be fine but it’s a constant concern.

Again though I love the look and for me it’s worth the additional effort, and of course it helps make you better overall driver in addition imho

Side note, the engine cover is actually lower on level ground than the splitter just FYI.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I enjoy the look of the splitter, and my car is a daily driver. I drove a 16 before so I kind have learned where and how to maneuver so it won’t scrape, and I have not scraped it yet (yeah my 16 did not have the extra splitter but still).

That said I am extremely cautious when driving where I see road scrapes (parking lots, elevation changes on roads, etc). If you keep that front end in mind and pay attention constantly to your surroundings you should be fine but it’s a constant concern.

Again though I love the look and for me it’s worth the additional effort, and of course it helps make you better overall driver in addition imho

Side note, the engine cover is actually lower on level ground than the splitter just FYI.
My car isn’t a a daily driver but I’m otherwise the same as you. To me the look of the HP is worth the extra caution when driving. I can see where it wouldn’t be worth it for some people and understand completely why they would pass on the HP

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
My car isn’t a a daily driver but I’m otherwise the same as you. To me the look of the HP is worth the extra caution when driving. I can see where it wouldn’t be worth it for some people and understand completely why they would pass on the HP
Yeah, and like you said, it’s not a bad idea to buy and store a spare. 👍

Yeah I think I’m actually going to do that lol.

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
If your swapping out your HP tyres and switch to 35 series profile on the HP rims you will gain some valuable height, might impact handling slightly but there's always some form of compromise with this sort of thing.
You will also close the guard to rim gap as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: