Sponsored

How safe are tunes?

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
We're talking about removing your cars ECU and having it completely re-tuned by a brand specific tuner. It even takes those guys at least an hour of programming.
Typical gains are +30HP and +40 torque
Sponsored

JJ@WMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Here is our take on this situation.

We are not a company that will go out, set our EB car on kill, run a number and then tell you "there is alot more left in it and that was a safe blah blah blah tune" and then not release that tune to the general public. We are also not the company that will run a number to impress everyone and then just sell a "stage 1" tune with promises of higher stages in the future.

We are however a company that will sell you a tune that will be safe, make more power over stock while retaining perfect driveability and manners. You will get a SOTP feel each and every time you drive the vehicle and know your money was well spent. We will also support you after the sale with free lifetime tune revisions for as long as you own the car.

WMS was the first tuner to get hands on the 15 EB Mustang, the first to dyno it, track test it stock, the first to develop and offer an OR pipe, the first to install and tune the Airaid CAI and the first to find the limits of the stock clutch. We have spent alot of time perfecting our daily driver torque tunes and once the car is back together we will show what an all out effort will do on a fully streetable full weight car.

We are pretty sure that none of you guys are going to gut your car when you take it to the track and most of you wont change to slicks/skinnies either, thats why we have always raced our car full weight, on 93 Octane and on DR's that we drove to the track. We feel its a better representation of what your car will do with similar mods.

If anyone has any questions about tuning please feel free to give us a call.

Thank you for your time,

JJ

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Here is our take on this situation.

We are not a company that will go out, set our EB car on kill, run a number and then tell you "there is alot more left in it and that was a safe blah blah blah tune" and then not release that tune to the general public. We are also not the company that will run a number to impress everyone and then just sell a "stage 1" tune with promises of higher stages in the future.

We are however a company that will sell you a tune that will be safe, make more power over stock while retaining perfect driveability and manners. You will get a SOTP feel each and every time you drive the vehicle and know your money was well spent. We will also support you after the sale with free lifetime tune revisions for as long as you own the car.

WMS was the first tuner to get hands on the 15 EB Mustang, the first to dyno it, track test it stock, the first to develop and offer an OR pipe, the first to install and tune the Airaid CAI and the first to find the limits of the stock clutch. We have spent alot of time perfecting our daily driver torque tunes and once the car is back together we will show what an all out effort will do on a fully streetable full weight car.

We are pretty sure that none of you guys are going to gut your car when you take it to the track and most of you wont change to slicks/skinnies either, thats why we have always raced our car full weight, on 93 Octane and on DR's that we drove to the track. We feel its a better representation of what your car will do with similar mods.

If anyone has any questions about tuning please feel free to give us a call.

Thank you for your time,

JJ
Just for clarification, our first 93 octane tuned trip to the track netted a 12.6, it was full weight, with drag radials on heavy 20" wheels. No intake, no exhaust mods, nothing. We didn't even cool it down first. We made that pass within 10 minutes of paying the gate fee, and it was on a public test and tune night.

We offer a staged tune system because that's what our customers want. Stage 1 and 2 are released, with stage 3 being final validated, and releases and revisions will follow as we deem necessary.

As for the dig on us achieving something no one else has even come remotely close to running, nothing is stopping anyone other tuner from doing what we did. We even announced exactly what we did because we believe in transparency.

We treat others with respect, and expect that respect to be reciprocated. It's disappointing to see such a blatant dig against us, but we are used to this tone in the EcoBoost community as no one out there has ever been able to achieve what we do through tuning, so it's flattering to always be the company being attacked.

Fredness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Mustang Convertible 2.3L/A4LD
You will get surprisingly better mpg with a tune, even on a four cyl turbo.
**just know that you're running a risk of : coils getting fried, automatic transmission slipping bad from all the extra torque, check engine lights from all of the vehicles combustion process not being in "sync" with each other just right.
These problems from a tune are made ten times worse if you're in an inspection state. Also worse when you're doing this to a brand new car under factory warranty.
Out of warranty and don't have vehicle inspections? Tune away and put aside a little transmission money for down the road when you're done horsing it and need to fix it before you're able to sell it to some sucker.
:crazy: Amazing.

JJ@WMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Just for clarification, our first 93 octane tuned trip to the track netted a 12.6, it was full weight, with drag radials on heavy 20" wheels. No intake, no exhaust mods, nothing. We didn't even cool it down first. We made that pass within 10 minutes of paying the gate fee, and it was on a public test and tune night.

We offer a staged tune system because that's what our customers want. Stage 1 and 2 are released, with stage 3 being final validated, and releases and revisions will follow as we deem necessary.

As for the dig on us achieving something no one else has even come remotely close to running, nothing is stopping anyone other tuner from doing what we did. We even announced exactly what we did because we believe in transparency.

We treat others with respect, and expect that respect to be reciprocated. It's disappointing to see such a blatant dig against us, but we are used to this tone in the EcoBoost community as no one out there has ever been able to achieve what we do through tuning, so it's flattering to always be the company being attacked.
I never mentioned you once in my comments, I was making general statements about how hype and results dont always translate to what the customer gets. As a matter of fact I have a friend who has your tuner but is still waiting on the actual tune to show up and was told he will only get a stage 1 tune even after asking for your all out tune. Where is the transparency in that?

No doubt you have done things others havent but acting all high and mighty by making statements such as;

Although we are interested as to what happened as well as everyone else. One thing we've spent a great deal of time with on EcoBoost engines is knowing how to not have this happen. It looks like some others are a bit behind in their learning ;-)
Doesnt really jive with your whole "treating others with respect" statement now does it?

I have dealt with your company in the past with great results and I do respect you guys but your holier then thou attitude when it comes to some of your posts rubs me wrong. Just because you guys have run a number with the EB does not mean nobody else can, it just means you have the resources, budget and time to do so. Taking shots at others who have different ideas of what it takes to properly tune a vehicle and/or develop the products and tunes they want to sell to the EB Mustang market is not appreciated in my book and shows a lack of respect for others.

I look forward to getting our car back together with its new clutch, mainly because it was the weak link in us eclipsing the numbers that have already been set by your auto car. Its good friendly competition that winds up being a good thing for the consumers in the long run.

JJ

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I never mentioned you once in my comments, I was making general statements about how hype and results dont always translate to what the customer gets. As a matter of fact I have a friend who has your tuner but is still waiting on the actual tune to show up and was told he will only get a stage 1 tune even after asking for your all out tune. Where is the transparency in that?

No doubt you have done things others havent but acting all high and mighty by making statements such as;

Doesnt really jive with your whole "treating others with respect" statement now does it?

I have dealt with your company in the past with great results and I do respect you guys but your holier then thou attitude when it comes to some of your posts rubs me wrong. Just because you guys have run a number with the EB does not mean nobody else can, it just means you have the resources, budget and time to do so. Taking shots at others who have different ideas of what it takes to properly tune a vehicle and/or develop the products and tunes they want to sell to the EB Mustang market is not appreciated in my book and shows a lack of respect for others.

I look forward to getting our car back together with its new clutch, mainly because it was the weak link in us eclipsing the numbers that have already been set by your auto car. Its good friendly competition that winds up being a good thing for the consumers in the long run.

JJ
It's well known that we are the only ones to go out there on bigs and little, with weight reduction, and an aggressive tune. Connecting the dots wasn't very difficult.

As for our comment regarding a blown up car, if that car was modified, the statement is true. It wasn't a response about anyones results, track wise, or dyno wise, but a response about a blown up car.

As for our tuning, stage 1 and 2 are released, I am certain no one told them that they couldn't have stage 2. Stage 3 and higher, yes, because even we aren't finalized on those.

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT

Ok, my bad.
There is absolutely NO danger in having your ECU tuned. Your car, transmission and all ignition components, turbo, clutch, torque converter will be just fine.
I've never heard of or owned a car that was tuned that had any problems with that stuff after it gained 40 HP and 30+ ft/lbs torque.
If for some crazy reason anything goes kerplunk after your tune, simply bring it to Ford and have it all made right under warranty.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I will be out at the track this weekend if all of my parts come in. I will have a tune, 17 inch Race Stars all around with 215s up front (I wanted the Super Stars and only the 7 inch version would fit with no spacer...so no real skinnies) and 275 DRs out back and an Airaid on the car. The car is tuned by Torrie McPhail from Unleashed Tuning and has been since it had 335 miles on it. I went with Torrie for several reasons. Firstly, his customer service is beyond excellent. Secondly, I liked the way his tune looked in terms of curves, power and torque and I like the fact that he programmed the trans to take advantage of these curves. Finally, I can tell that Torrie is going to someone who will work with me to give me the tune I want. I may have different needs and desires than someone who just wants a little more pep out of their stock car. I also like working with someone as the tune is developed for new parts. I can tell you that this tune is vastly better than the stock tune. It is night and day how much better the car runs now.

I am pretty sure this will translate at the track.

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
Lots of good information for someone considering a tune who has never done it before. I know the guys that have posted here are reputable tuners, as i have heard these names for many years.

I have often worried about screwing up the mixture and spark, and detonating the sh!^ out of my cylinder heads... :)

appreciate this thread!

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
:popcorn:

This thread is good reading.

Sponsored

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I have tuned the last three vehicles I bought new. I also tune my race car myself....but it is a much simpler car to tune than one of these. It is basically get the VE and spark table right and feed the car boost. LOL.

Fredness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Mustang Convertible 2.3L/A4LD
Ok, my bad.
There is absolutely NO danger in having your ECU tuned.
No one said that, except you...

Your car, transmission and all ignition components, turbo, clutch, torque converter will be just fine.
For a Daily Driver (which 99% of us are, like it or not), YES.
Unless you drive like Ricky Racer and treat every stop sign and traffic signal as a Drag Strip Christmas Tree, then you're going to have these issues ANYWAY.

210,000+ miles on my daily driver Focus (which gets rode pretty hard) with NO issues.

I've never heard of or owned a car that was tuned that had any problems with that stuff after it gained 40 HP and 30+ ft/lbs torque.
I've heard a lot of BS in my half century on this planet (10 years as an SCT Certified/Trained Tuner), and other than the Ford 5R55E Transmission 2-3 shift flare issue - when a KNOWN and TSB recorded issue which was blamed on a tune - I only know of "Tread Wear Issues" on Daily Driven Vehicles.

If for some crazy reason anything goes kerplunk after your tune, simply bring it to Ford and have it all made right under warranty.
Read the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act to see how this works - if you have a tune and your left front blinker stops working - Yes.
If you have a tune and your PCM is tripping a CEL - Go back to stock, if you still have a CEL - Warranty.

It's actually pretty simple if you read the M-MWA instead of trolling forums for info.

Enjoy...

WildBill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm looking for a tuner that will take advantage of the pipes and CIA I've installed on My car, without a lot of extra Cr-p on it, something thats easy to install and will give My car good performance and economy !!

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
Will a tune affect MPG?

Yes. With my Livernois tune on my 2011 f150 ecoboost and 2014 fusion ecoboost

Both vehicles had a improvement in mpg. 2 on the truck with the 93 tune. Less with the 87

Fusion went from 22/23 to 26/27 with the 87 tune.

When I pull the tune to take truck to dealer, mileage drops, comes right back after tune is re installed.

Truck has 49k on it. Been tuned since it had about 10k miles on it.

Fusion was tuned within 200 miles.

Mustang got tuned at 102 miles

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I feel like I never left the import tuner world. ;)
Sponsored