Sponsored

How safe are tunes?

Darkrune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO EB
Which answers the original thread question.
Adding massive torque and HP, especially to the turbo four, especially if it's an auto, you are seriously risking a few expensive items that Ford would deny a claim on.
Tunes are fantastic! I've experienced it and couldn't believe all that power was hidden. And then I was amazed how much I had to spend rebuilding an almost new transmission, removing the tune so it wouldn't happen again and then selling the car on CL.
I understand your angle, but it sounds to me like you weren't prepared for the tuning journey. First: your car could have had small factory defects exacerbated by the tuning, Second: it costs money to have a tuned car for a hobby, third: Ford built this engine to be tuned. I am going to hold off on a tune for a bit to see who holes the block, or what little crickets there are in the system.
Sponsored

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
Sounds like you had a bad experience with a tune. I've had multiple tuned cars and raced them regularly . Never had a problem. Ford has to tune in safety for multiple worst case scenarios.i will tune mine as soon as I get it and never look back.

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
you need to do a lot of reading in lots of places to answer that.. that is its own thread and no one is going to spoon feed you that.

beers
So much this :clap2:

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
This. They couldn't provide the warranty they do if all of the engines were pushed to tuned levels.
And what happens when you push a tuned engine to another level of tune????

No manufacture with produce HP that will max out their production setup

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
And what happens when you push a tuned engine to another level of tune????

No manufacture with produce HP that will max out their production setup
If you keep pushing eventually it fails. Just like sky diving there is always inherent risk, but you can safely open the chute a few hundred feet below the recommended altitude every single jump without issue. However, if you try and go a hundred feet lower with each subsequent jump eventually you're goimg to impact the ground too hard. Maybe you'll just twist an ankle or break a bone, but every foot lower increases the chance of something catastrophic happening.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
A lot of people have to realize as well that there are goals to be met, and sometimes if you meet all those goals (HP, Cost, Reliability, Torque, NVH, Emissions, Packaging) and you have headroom left on HP and torque they aren't going to reduce the components to barely do any of that. There is always purposeful overengineering involved, and sometimes aspects of the engineering have a ton of headroom, and it's deemed not cost effective to utilize, or eliminate that headroom, so it just stays on board.

What many people don't realize is NVH drives a huge amount of the development of today's engines, and the simplest, most cost effective way to help with NVH is to add mass. In the case of an engine, that means denser, higher quality, or thicker material being used, which equals strength.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
This is the bolt-on, exhaust and tuning section of the board. If you are worried about modifying your car, go hang out in the general section and talk about other things.

Mike

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
"Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Anything more specific than "no Bueno"?
Got and paid for the tuner, waited 2 weeks for the "custom tunes". Tried to install but computer didn't recognize the tuner. The tuner isn't up for Windows 8. Really? Did Windows 8 come out just recently? Finally after almost an hour on the phone with SCT Windows 8 issue fixed. Go to download or upload (whatever) tunes and the tunes aren't for my car or tuner. Call and fix this problem. Install tunes, run the car that pukes and bucks. Try to reinstall factory settings. Handheld says not "married" to car. I can understand this because now neither am I. Think the car will at least me get me home 10 miles away. Barely, in between the bucking. Gonna flatbed in the morning, burn it, call insurance company and drive me new twin turbo Super Duty which now runs circles around my 5.0 GT."

How safe are tunes? Here you go. This is an S550 GT. Warranty....? Damn, good luck. $38k brand new car.
2015 GT Premium, 6 speed, 20" foundry black wheels, white with premium leather with black/red leather, 401a package, Nav and 3.55 rear. Took delivery November 1, 2014. Only one word describes this car: NICE!

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Money says a tuner can fix that. And by tuner, I mean a human being making the adjustments. Nothing against canned tunes but you only have so many options when things don't go as planned.

Edit: Got treed but this is in response to Waylap.

Sponsored

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Should help it. My last car was tuned and I drove the snot out of it and got better mileage than I do out of this ecoboost thing, which I drive like my granddad would. Cant wait to get my Livernois tune.
Why do you keep saying "This ecoboost thing" and insinuating your old Hyundai was better?

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Why do you keep saying "This ecoboost thing" and insinuating your old Hyundai was better?
He wrote that 20 days ago...

Sounds like he is saying his tuned hyundai when driven hard got better gas mileage than his grandpa driven ecoboost mustang. And he is hoping a tune will help him a bit in the gas mileage department.

Not sure why you seem to be taking issue.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He wrote that 20 days ago...

Sounds like he is saying his tuned hyundai when driven hard got better gas mileage than his grandpa driven ecoboost mustang. And he is hoping a tune will help him a bit in the gas mileage department.

Not sure why you seem to be taking issue.
Is there a statute of limitations on taking issue with comments in a current thread? I just read thru the thread today. Was not originally interested in an EB but have been intrigued lately. And why are you being defensive of a guy who made two posts here talking up his hyundai and talking down on the EB? I'm sorry but calling the car "this ecoboost thing" while bragging about his Hyundai twice seems pretty derogatory and trollish.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Is there a statute of limitations on taking issue with comments in a current thread? I just read thru the thread today. Was not originally interested in an EB but have been intrigued lately. And why are you being defensive of a guy who made two posts here talking up his hyundai and talking down on the EB? I'm sorry but calling the car "this ecoboost thing" while bragging about his Hyundai twice seems pretty derogatory and trollish.
Thin skin?

He said his gas mileage was better in his tuned Hyundai. Big deal.

Not to mention he was using his Hyundai anecdotally to state that a tune on an EB would probably increase its mpg and that a tune does not necessarily mean reduced reliability.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thin skin?

He said his gas mileage was better in his tuned Hyundai. Big deal.

Not to mention he was using his Hyundai anecdotally to state that a tune on an EB would probably increase its mpg and that a tune does not necessarily mean reduced reliability.
That's just it, HE didn't say "EB" or the like. The main point is he keeps referring to the car as "This ecoboost thing." Two posts here and in both he said the same thing.

If you don't understand where I am coming from, well than never mind, you are thick as a brick.

Sorry, back on topic, please. Good info in this thread. :cheers:
Sponsored