Sponsored

How safe are tunes?

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Why didn't Ford put the Ecoboost Mustang on sale ALREADY at the specs and tune that tuners are changing the ECU to now?
I mean....we know that daily driving mpgs would be even better, so why wouldn't they?
Sponsored

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
Why didn't Ford put the Ecoboost Mustang on sale ALREADY at the specs and tune that tuners are changing the ECU to now?
I mean....we know that daily driving mpgs would be even better, so why wouldn't they?

Long term reliability and emissions targets.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Long term reliability and emissions targets.
And to add to that, you can't step on the GT's toes. Some of these tunes take the EB's torque above that offered by the stock GT.

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
And to add to that, you can't step on the GT's toes. Some of these tunes take the EB's torque above that offered by the stock GT.
Definitely true. Though, Ford's turbo choice pretty much guarantees we're not going to be besting the Coyote without a good number of supporting modifications. Especially that intercooler. That and there's still a pretty substantial high end power advantage.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Definitely true. Though, Ford's turbo choice pretty much guarantees we're not going to be besting the Coyote without a good number of supporting modifications. Especially that intercooler. That and there's still a pretty substantial high end power advantage.
Yep, I agree. I imagine the turbo was sized a little on the small side for that reason as well.

I wonder if the RS is going to use the same turbo, the rumored output of 350hp would be somewhat difficult to achieve unless there's going to be nothing left on the table.

Sponsored

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
Though, Ford's turbo choice pretty much guarantees we're not going to be besting the Coyote without a good number of supporting modifications. Especially that intercooler. That and there's still a pretty substantial high end power advantage.
I disagree. EcoBoosts are already beating stock Coyotes with just a tune. These tunes aren't pushing tons of boost over stock, either.

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
I disagree. EcoBoosts are already beating stock Coyotes with just a tune. These tunes aren't pushing tons of boost over stock, either.
Are you referring to the 1/4 or simple power numbers? I think I know which cars you're referring to though.

Making higher peak numbers doesn't impress me. What impresses me is a car that has more area under the curve. A car that is faster reliably, pull after pull, without significant power loss due to heatsoak. That's impressive. A tuned ecoboost isn't doing that without upgrades. It would also be unreasonable for anybody to expect it to, in my opinion.

It won't take much to get the ecoboost there though, so don't misunderstand and think I'm knocking the ecoboost. I just tend to take a very functional approach to the whole modifying and tuning scene. I think it's awesome that we can get the numbers we can from a tune. I also think it is very shortsighted to tune these cars without improving the weak links (like the intercooler).

However, we're now getting pretty off topic for this thread.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Beating at what? 1/4 mile times? They aren't beating them in horsepower, torque yes, but anything longer than a 1/4 mile race and the stock Coyote would win.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I think it's awesome that we can get the numbers we can from a tune. I also think it is very shortsighted to tune these cars without improving the weak links (like the intercooler).

However, we're now getting pretty off topic for this thread.
One of the main reasons I really want to get a FMIC & CAI before a tune.

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Again, then why wouldn't Ford simply sell the GT with its ECU tuned with higher output like tuners are doing?
This doesn't cost Ford a dime to sell their cars stock with higher output ECU numbers and settings.

Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Again, then why wouldn't Ford simply sell the GT with its ECU tuned with higher output like tuners are doing?
This doesn't cost Ford a dime to sell their cars stock with higher output ECU numbers and settings.
you need to do a lot of reading in lots of places to answer that.. that is its own thread and no one is going to spoon feed you that.

beers

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
It's well known that we are the only ones to go out there on bigs and little, with weight reduction, and an aggressive tune. Connecting the dots wasn't very difficult.

As for our comment regarding a blown up car, if that car was modified, the statement is true. It wasn't a response about anyones results, track wise, or dyno wise, but a response about a blown up car.

As for our tuning, stage 1 and 2 are released, I am certain no one told them that they couldn't have stage 2. Stage 3 and higher, yes, because even we aren't finalized on those.
and by doing that the #8 cyl issue was found, it that a good thing or a bad thing?

transparency..

beers

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Emissions standards and probably insurance reasons too. Also power train reliability and longevity.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Also power train reliability and longevity.
This. They couldn't provide the warranty they do if all of the engines were pushed to tuned levels.

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
This. They couldn't provide the warranty they do if all of the engines were pushed to tuned levels.
Which answers the original thread question.
Adding massive torque and HP, especially to the turbo four, especially if it's an auto, you are seriously risking a few expensive items that Ford would deny a claim on.
Tunes are fantastic! I've experienced it and couldn't believe all that power was hidden. And then I was amazed how much I had to spend rebuilding an almost new transmission, removing the tune so it wouldn't happen again and then selling the car on CL.
Sponsored