How do you fix the MT-82 for cheap?

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Is it my stock clutch? Is it my transmission?
It’s getting warmer here in WA. Today was 76°f. The car absolutely hated shifting. Anything over 5k rpm locked me out of 3rd gear. 2nd and 3rd gear felt like they were on the verge of blowing up. Doing a pull from 2nd and it locks me out of 3rd and all you hear is grinding noises and the car bouncing off the rev limiter.

High rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear vibrate the shifter like crazy! It feels super rough to shift into 3rd. 1st, 4th,5th, and 6th are fine.

So what’s the deal? What doesn’t like the heat, the clutch or the transmission? Will a chassis mounted shifter bracket fix this problem?

Also, don’t get me started on the rev hang in every gear past 5k rpm. This car is becoming an inconvenience to drive spiritedly.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
all you hear is grinding noises and the car bouncing off the rev limiter.
Just curious, do you have the no lift shift feature ?

WD :like:

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ever swapped out the OEM Fluid?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Try the simple/cheaper things before getting too far off into the weeds with it.

- Complete brake fluid flush and fill with Dot 4

- Transmission shifter bushing with billet bracket

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...I-F9YeGAxU4TTABHX8tAK0Q5bgDKAB6BAgFEA8&adurl=

- Transmission mount bushing

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...dCc9YeGAxUIRjABHbt0BzYQ5bgDKAB6BAgHEAo&adurl=

If none of those things help, then it may be time for a clutch upgrade. Choose clutch material wisely, depending on how you intend to drive the car, whether it’s racing or just street driving and making high rpm pulls.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It can be very expensive to go much deeper into the transmission than what’s been mentioned thus far because other fixes (including a clutch) are going to require transmission removal and/or opening it up and disassembling it to make repairs/upgrades.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My first guess is this is a clutch problem and not a transmission problem.

I would bleed the fluid and then test whether that fixed the issue. If no change I would first check that all the bolts and mounts for the transmission and driveshaft are tight and/or in good condition. If no problem is found externally under the car, I would go to the clutch next.

Fluid can cause a shifting issue, but it will not cause vibrations. The most likely sources of vibrations are the clutch and driveshaft. Since the clutch can cause both vibrations and shifting problems, my guess is that the clutch is the problem.

Don't continue driving the car any more than absolutely necessary or you will be fixing the transmission internals as well!

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Something else that could be causing vibrations is a worn out Guibo disc.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Something else that could be causing vibrations is a worn out Guibo disc.
Yes, but I don't think it would cause shifting issues. I agree that all components in the driveline should be inspected before disassembling, because disassembly is a fair amount of work. You don't want to take it all apart if you don't need to.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, but I don't think it would cause shifting issues. I agree that all components in the driveline should be inspected before disassembling, because disassembly is a fair amount of work. You don't want to take it all apart if you don't need to.
Agreed! Taking it all apart is definitely time consuming and will require specialty tools.

I rebuilt/enhanced mine with only 5900 miles on the odometer and I’m at 8500 miles now. I sure hope I don’t have to go back in there again anytime soon. I also have every other supporting mod that you can throw at the drivetrain, in hopes of extending its durability. Although I wasn’t having trouble with my tranny, I was being proactive by doing upgrades while it was out for a clutch upgrade. However, I did find a few things that were concerning to me once I opened it up and tore it down.

Hopefully the OP won’t need to do any of that, but high rpm lockouts and crunching/grinding aren’t good signs.

If it comes down to the OP needing an affordable option, I believe @Spacexguy is building or reselling MT82-D4s. It may be at least worth checking with him to see what he’s found in his builds.

Spacexguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moe
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and f150
Thanks for the plug sir!! Yes, I've done a handful of 2011-17s and 2018s+. Stage 1s and 2s, can't do stage 3s because calimer has those gforce gears exclusively. 😐
I'm currently rebuilding a 2018 non-rev matching here down in Florida. You running stock clutch? Did I read that correctly?

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Fluid-clutch-mgw

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the plug sir!! Yes, I've done a handful of 2011-17s and 2018s+. Stage 1s and 2s, can't do stage 3s because calimer has those gforce gears exclusively. 😐
I'm currently rebuilding a 2018 non-rev matching here down in Florida. You running stock clutch? Did I read that correctly?
Yes stock clutch. The clutch assembly +flywheel +slave cylinder +fluid was change exactly 4900 miles ago. Fairly new. All done by Ford.

What is a stage 1 or 2 going to have that a OEM trans doesn’t have? Is it just beefier parts?

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just curious, do you have the no lift shift feature ?

WD :like:
I don’t. Base 300A. I got an engine, and a transmission 😅
Sponsored