Sponsored

Hoods and cooling....

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't really like visual mods on my mustang (outside of wheels and tires), it sort of has a presence that I like stock. However, I'm of the mind that the engine compartment could use a bit more airflow.

I basically only have two viable options, the cervinis GT500 hood replica for the 18+ or the low cowl cervinis cobra r replica hood. I have been swinging back and forth with my own thoughts, and I really dig the look of the cobra r hood, since I was a child I listed for that car along with the FR500 back in the day. But likely the GT500 replica hood will cool better (bigger hole).

Does anyone know the advantages of a cowl hood with the rear heat extractor? Am I overthinking this or should I just be drilling/boring out the stock vents so they work better?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I'm supercharged, I think I'll try opening up the stock hood vents. And getting rid of the blanket. I'm not keen on cutting up a perfectly good hood....

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What's happening with the stock hood if you replace it?
Hot as hell in the engine bay ...
Hmmmm. I want more airflow. Gonna see if I don't have to go much farther than a little cutting under the stock extractors

If I don't like the results I always fancied the way the stock gt350 hoods looked as well. Mp concepts makes one of these as well.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I just used a 1/2 inch drill bit and opened my stock extractors on my 18. I like the stock hood. You can see the heat waves coming out now when stopped. Very quick and easy mod to do imo.

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just used a 1/2 inch drill bit and opened my stock extractors on my 18. I like the stock hood. You can see the heat waves coming out now when stopped. Very quick and easy mod to do imo.
Do you have any pics? Did you leave the rain shield in or no? I forgot all about doing these things. Also did you remove the blanket?

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Do you have any pics? Did you leave the rain shield in or no? I forgot all about doing these things. Also did you remove the blanket?
I removed the blanket just to get to the extractors. Popped out the plastic vents and then drilled the holes into the aluminum hood. Once you pop the vents back in you cannot see the holes. I then put the hood blanket back on. Did not see any reason to leave the blanket off as there is not much weight to it.

Another thing I did is pull the rubber strip off the back underside of the hood which seals the cowl area. This lets a lot more heat move out from behind the back side of engine. I pulled all those white plastic t pins off the hood to. fyi

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
I removed the blanket just to get to the extractors. Popped out the plastic vents and then drilled the holes into the aluminum hood. Once you pop the vents back in you cannot see the holes. I then put the hood blanket back on. Did not see any reason to leave the blanket off as there is not much weight to it.

Another thing I did is pull the rubber strip off the back underside of the hood which seals the cowl area. This lets a lot more heat move out from behind the back side of engine. I pulled all those white plastic t pins off the hood to. fyi
I would think all of these should add up to at least some cooling. Have you noticed the any heat waves leaving the from the rear cowl where you pulled the rubber?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
if you guys are opening up your vents and removing your fire shields from the hood, how are you keep water from getting on the engine from rain? my fire shield on my hood is still on, it absorbs the water when it rains. I have 2016 California Special vents with the turning signals in them.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
if you guys are opening up your vents and removing your fire shields from the hood, how are you keep water from getting on the engine from rain? my fire shield on my hood is still on, it absorbs the water when it rains. I have 2016 California Special vents with the turning signals in them.
There is a rain trap on the 18+ hoods. Does the 15-17 have those?

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I don't really like visual mods on my mustang (outside of wheels and tires), it sort of has a presence that I like stock. However, I'm of the mind that the engine compartment could use a bit more airflow.

I basically only have two viable options, the cervinis GT500 hood replica for the 18+ or the low cowl cervinis cobra r replica hood. I have been swinging back and forth with my own thoughts, and I really dig the look of the cobra r hood, since I was a child I listed for that car along with the FR500 back in the day. But likely the GT500 replica hood will cool better (bigger hole).

Does anyone know the advantages of a cowl hood with the rear heat extractor? Am I overthinking this or should I just be drilling/boring out the stock vents so they work better?
Both would have heat dissipating. It would come down to which style you prefer.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a rain trap on the 18+ hoods. Does the 15-17 have those?
No they do not..the water gets absorbed into the hood fire shield material, which is why i wont remove it!
Sponsored