Help me understand E85

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Just tested another gas station by me in Chicago area. Both Thortons and Woodmans-
67%
You guys are lucky getting that good of E85. No point for me to run a E85 or Flex in this area.
Even e54 is more than worth it on a flex tune or even a dedicated e54r tune.
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Even e54 is more than worth it on a flex tune or even a dedicated e54r tune.
Yeah but you need 70% or better to even make the flex tune.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Yeah but you need 70% or better to even make the flex tune.
That’s not the case. A flex tune is intended to be able to run any level of E. The 70% threshold is usually tossed around as a good measure minimum for using a dedicated E85 tune.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
How do you measure the ethanol content? Obviously a sample but does it need to be shipped off for fancy testing? Or is there a device like diabetics use for a finger stick and a drop tells you all you need to know almost instantly?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
That’s not the case. A flex tune is intended to be able to run any level of E. The 70% threshold is usually tossed around as a good measure minimum for using a dedicated E85 tune.
Correct 70% is the minimum for a dedicated e85 tune. Flex for anything lower or swapping fuels.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Because he read it on the internet, LOL

How do you measure the ethanol content? Obviously a sample but does it need to be shipped off for fancy testing? Or is there a device like diabetics use for a finger stick and a drop tells you all you need to know almost instantly?
A test tube tester works, I use both the bigger Holley and a smaller vial type.

They both read the same but the you have less waste with the small vial.

The Sheetz stations around me have historically ran E70 winter blend and E80+ summer blend.

This test is from last weekend when I filled up some 5gal containers.

Sheetz_Summer_Flex_E81.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I've never tested as I use a flex tune. I read that in some places the pumps are labeled E50 to E85. Here the pumps just have the E85 sticker on them. Would that mean they are E85 year round?

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
I've never tested as I use a flex tune. I read that in some places the pumps are labeled E50 to E85. Here the pumps just have the E85 sticker on them. Would that mean they are E85 year round?
Yes.

The issue I seem to see here is Everybody calls pump ethanol 'E85'

Even when the Pump Clearly labels 51%-81% Ethanol as Flex Fuel.

Even on the Hellcat forums people constantly say the E85 around them only tests E70 or whatever, Well, Then That's NOT E85, It's Flex Fuel, LOL

The BP down in Ft Mill used to have a full E85 pump and it would test E90 in the summer.

But they took it out last year and installed another diesel pump so all I have around me is Sheetz flex fuel.

I run a flex fuel tune on my hellcat and it is spot on,

Sheetz_Flex.jpg

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Yes.

The issue I seem to see here is Everybody calls pump ethanol 'E85'

Even when the Pump Clearly labels 51%-81% Ethanol as Flex Fuel.

Even on the Hellcat forums people constantly say the E85 around them only tests E70 or whatever, Well, Then That's NOT E85, It's Flex Fuel, LOL

The BP down in Ft Mill used to have a full E85 pump and it would test E90 in the summer.

But they took it out last year and installed another diesel pump so all I have around me is Sheetz flex fuel.

I run a flex fuel tune on my hellcat and it is spot on,

Sheetz_Flex.jpg
Ya in Phoenix it's primarily e54 labeled as flex fuel, and even that is not super common. But then we have one station that always tests out around e90 so that's the go to spot when it's time to turn it up.

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I am lucky that the pumps I use are labeled “minimum 70% Ethanol content” . I still test every fill and it’s never been below it.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by PBD that 70% was the minimal needed to have the e85 tune work for data logging to get the flex fuel tune.
So not read on the internet dick! Lol

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I was told by PBD that 70% was the minimal needed to have the e85 tune work for data logging to get the flex fuel tune.
I think you got that mixed up. 70% is what they want to log for a dedicated E85 tune.

The Flex logic on these cars is the same as the truck and will learn anything from 0% to 100% alcohol.

Willistylz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
christopher
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP 2
I have 19 GT PP2 basically stock engine mods.

So I contacted Lund asking about an e85 tune. They suggested a pump gas tune. Flex Fuel tune and E85 tune. You use the Flex Fuel tune as a transitional tune to switch the fuels as the Flex tune has both pump gas logic built in and Ethanol logic too. Just get low on fuel of say 93 , flash the flex fuel tune , fill with E85. Drive it around then refill until only E85 is in the tank, flash the E85 only tune.

So what I gather from this this thread information is I can just run the flex fuel tune and run both 93 and E85. Where I’m confused is do you run down the 93 pump gas on flex then fill with e85? Is it bad to mix Fuels with say half tank of either?
Based on his description this would be a flex tune and a separate E85 tune correct?
Sorry if this has been answered already but I’m newb with this type of tune.
Thanks!

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have 19 GT PP2 basically stock engine mods.

So I contacted Lund asking about an e85 tune. They suggested a pump gas tune. Flex Fuel tune and E85 tune. You use the Flex Fuel tune as a transitional tune to switch the fuels as the Flex tune has both pump gas logic built in and Ethanol logic too. Just get low on fuel of say 93 , flash the flex fuel tune , fill with E85. Drive it around then refill until only E85 is in the tank, flash the E85 only tune.

So what I gather from this this thread information is I can just run the flex fuel tune and run both 93 and E85. Where I’m confused is do you run down the 93 pump gas on flex then fill with e85? Is it bad to mix Fuels with say half tank of either?
Based on his description this would be a flex tune and a separate E85 tune correct?
Sorry if this has been answered already but I’m newb with this type of tune.
Thanks!
You can flash the flex fuel tune with a full tank of 93. No need to wait for it to get low. That's the beauty of a flex fuel tune. You can run any combo of 93 and E85. The car will adjust within the first few minutes after a fill up. I personally just stay on the flex fuel tune. I run E85 90% of the time. Just drove to Florida a couple months ago which is a 900 mile trip one way for me. I filled up with 93 every time until I got home then went back to E85 without doing anything different.
Sponsored