Sponsored

Help: Car won't pass emissions. (Completely stock)

Rvenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
My 2016 Mustang GT will not pass the OBDII emission check, It will not clear the monitors. Catalyst, o2, and Heated 02 come up as "not ready". There has been no tune on the car so none of the o2s have been shut off. Car is completely stock. The car throws no CEL.

I have taken it to the dealer and they began by telling me I had to go out and drive it more for it to clear. After about 1k of miles and 5 trips to the dealer it will still not pass. They also re-flashed the ecu and preformed another drive cycle which ended with the same result. The Tech I spoke with said all the monitors appear to be working fine and has no clue why they are not clearing. Said he was gonna call Ford directly to get more insight on the issue. That call never happened. After a week of the car just sitting at the dealer I was told to come pick it up and go out and drive it more because there was nothing more they could do.

So I ended up taking it to another Ford Dealer and it came out to be the same as last dealer only this time the tech couldn't find anything wrong with car and they made a call to FORD. Where FORD is telling them to just start by changing the sensors seeing if that would fix the issue though it might not. Im being asked to pay for the sensors and i am not being guaranteed it will fix it and if it doesn't I won't be granted a refund of any kind. So I am in a bind asking for help to see if anyone out there might have a better direction for me cause the dealer isn't really doing anything for me .
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I would tell the Dealer - if they’re guaranteeing there’s no issues and the car will pass State emissions, then you want it in writing so you can present it to the Inspection facility. Do they do inspections there, some dealerships do - so you could also tell them “put a passing sticker on it” if nothing is wrong.

Late Starter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
The heated O2 monitor should complete very soon after starting the engine. No amount of driving will make a difference. The mechanics sound like parts replacers and not diagnosticians, and it's sad that Ford recommends that they start replacing parts. If the vehicle was under the initial warranty, you can bet that Ford would not pay for a "shotgun" parts replacement attempt. If the O2 heater monitor is not running, there could be defective wiring, a bad sensor, or even the ecm not sending a signal to the sensor. The catalyst monitor completion is dependent on the O2's getting ready. Your ecm and converter are covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Since you're in northern VA, you may want to contact a Certified Emissions Repair facility (google AirCheck Virginia) and see if they can render a diagnosis.

OP
OP

Rvenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
The heated O2 monitor should complete very soon after starting the engine. No amount of driving will make a difference. The mechanics sound like parts replacers and not diagnosticians, and it's sad that Ford recommends that they start replacing parts. If the vehicle was under the initial warranty, you can bet that Ford would not pay for a "shotgun" parts replacement attempt. If the O2 heater monitor is not running, there could be defective wiring, a bad sensor, or even the ecm not sending a signal to the sensor. The catalyst monitor completion is dependent on the O2's getting ready. Your ecm and converter are covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Since you're in northern VA, you may want to contact a Certified Emissions Repair facility (google AirCheck Virginia) and see if they can render a diagnosis.

Yeah, it's a shame that there is no real troubleshooting going on at the dealer. Think I am going to take it to a Certified emissions repair facility to get some real answers. Thank you for all the info and help.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Yeah, it's a shame that there is no real troubleshooting going on at the dealer. Think I am going to take it to a Certified emissions repair facility to get some real answers. Thank you for all the info and help.
Hope you don't have to spend any coin there.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hope you don't have to spend any coin there.
If there are findings and does he get charged, I’d take the work order right to Ford and demand reimbursement of the costs (since they were saying there’s no issues to be found).

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Check your owner's manual. Many emission related parts have an 8 year/80k mile warranty by federal law.
Yeah this, if its completely stock, the emissions warranty applies and they are required to fix it so it passes any required emissions test. Find your emissions warranty and get very familiar with it. There are many many parts that affect the emissions and are covered,

Deleted member 35786

Here is the warranty. See page 17-21 for emissions.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_10_2015.pdf

EMISSIONS PERFORMANCE WARRANTY COVERAGE
Under Emissions Performance Warranty Coverage, Ford Motor Company
will repair, replace, or adjust - with no charge for labor, diagnosis, or parts -
any emissions control device or system, if you meet all of the following
conditions:
• You have maintained and operated your vehicle according to the
instructions on proper care in the Owner’s Manual and this booklet.
• Your vehicle fails to conform, during the warranty coverage period, to
the applicable national EPA standards, as determined by an EPA
approved inspection and maintenance program.
• You are subject to a penalty or sanction under local, state, or federal law
because your vehicle has failed to conform to the emissions standards.
(A penalty or sanction can include being denied the right to use your
vehicle.)
• Your vehicle has not been tampered with, misused, or abused.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rvenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Wonder what the resolution, if any, was?
So I took It back to original dealer that I first brought the issue to. After a lot of Back-and-forth it ended being the PCM and it was replaced under warranty. Didn’t pay anything. This whole process took 3-4 months not all a lot of cooperation from the dealer. Luckily it did end up getting fixed.
Sponsored