Sponsored

Has anyone done a custom tune without hardware changes?

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Trying to find out if a tune alone will add any noticeable power? My sense is that the car is very well optimized as delivered, but do t want to assume. If you did a tune with hardware changes, what were they and are you happy?
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I think you have the safest power afforded to you how it comes. Iā€™d have to assume that

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No tune, but a CAI can give you an extra 30 HP. I've had the car out on the track and think the car has plenty of HP.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
No tune, but a CAI can give you an extra 30 HP. I've had the car out on the track and think the car has plenty of HP.
I donā€™t have my car yet (pick up on Wednesday) but I havenā€™t seen a CAI setup for these. Is the stock system not considered a CAI?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
From what I have seen. A gen3 with just a tune will not pick up much without any mods (around 20hp) because Ford has optimized them pretty good. Where as a gen2 seems to pick up a little more.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
MTM (Mod that Mofo) and get all of the power you can get from your new ride! I donā€™t think it makes sense to get a custom tune before youā€™re done modding because if you do (depending on the type of mods that you do), you may have to pay for a new tune all over again. Having said that, there are some mods that you can do without the need for a tune. For example, an exhaust system, some CAI kits and an x or h-pipe.

It would also be a good idea to upgrade your rear suspension components, to eliminate any wheel hop and get all of the available power to the ground effectively. That alone will seem like a bump in horsepower. Happy modding and good luck to you all!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I donā€™t have my car yet (pick up on Wednesday) but I havenā€™t seen a CAI setup for these. Is the stock system not considered a CAI?
The stock air intake is a CAI, but the filter is small and more restrictive. Whether you go with JLT or the other guy, the filter and the increased airflow is what gives the car more HP. You could argue that the JLT is not a true enclosed CAI, but it has been dyno'd and verified the increase in HP.

Again, no tune required.

I would be hesitant to tune considering that you could be left holding the bag if you have a problem with the engine.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
From what I have seen. A gen3 with just a tune will not pick up much without any mods (around 20hp) because Ford has optimized them pretty good. Where as a gen2 seems to pick up a little more.
Hes talking GT500, not GT.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The stock air intake is a CAI, but the filter is small and more restrictive. Whether you go with JLT or the other guy, the filter and the increased airflow is what gives the car more HP. You could argue that the JLT is not a true enclosed CAI, but it has been dyno'd and verified the increase in HP.

Again, no tune required.

I would be hesitant to tune considering that you could be left holding the bag if you have a problem with the engine.
Thank you for the info. I understand the ā€œpay to playā€ when it comes to warranty. Iā€™m not messing with my tune, just curious as to what is available. I donā€™t even have the car yet so I need to do a real world analysis of it but Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll at least replace the resonators. First I need to see what the sound difference is between the H and X pipes. I had the Corsa Sport cat back with Stainless Works headers on my ā€˜16 GT and it sounded phenomenal.

Are there no drop in filters available?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Itā€™s definitely a roll of the dice getting away from warranty work, but itā€™s the price one must pay to play. I bought my car new and installed LTH, CAI, nitrous, custom tunes for pump gas, flex, E85R and nitrous and a lot of suspension components at 471 miles on the odometer. I hope Iā€™m able to get a lot of life out of it. If not, Iā€™ll build it even better and stronger the next time around. While there are plenty of Ford technicians, who really do care about doing a good job for the customer, there are also plenty, who donā€™t care to do a good job. That alone makes me not want to deal with a dealership unless I absolutely have to. Itā€™s also the reason why I donā€˜t worry about warranty work.

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Thank you for the info. I understand the ā€œpay to playā€ when it comes to warranty. Iā€™m not messing with my tune, just curious as to what is available. I donā€™t even have the car yet so I need to do a real world analysis of it but Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll at least replace the resonators. First I need to see what the sound difference is between the H and X pipes. I had the Corsa Sport cat back with Stainless Works headers on my ā€˜16 GT and it sounded phenomenal.

Are there no drop in filters available?
Evolvd: The stock exhaust sounds fantastic as it is so once you get yours you will need to make that decision for your ears .

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase