Sponsored

H-Pipe Not Meeting Expectations

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
2019 GT convertible here with the Steeda H-Pipe and Active Exhaust. Sounds incredible with no drone. Definitely check to ensure the pipes aren't touching the body or leaking.

Someone mentioned a broken weld on the Steeda logo bracket connecting the pipes so you may want to check that too.
Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Just installed a Steeda H-Pipe on my 2020 GT Convertible with active exhaust.
I was expecting a slight increase in volume, keeping the deep tone, no rasp, and no drone. I've got the total opposite.

Volume: The start-up volume is extremely loud. Too loud for what I was looking for.
Rasp: I find that when getting above 2500k RPM the tone is much raspier than with the stock resonator.
Drone: The drone inside the car is ridiculous, especially in 9th/10th gear on the highway which I'm thinking may be because it's a convertible and not a coupe as the videos I watched said there's no drone at all. Even with the stock exhaust there was some drone in track mode in 9th/10th, so I'm thinking it's a convertible thing. But the drone at all speeds now is a lot.

My goal: To reduce overall volume a little, and get back to a deeper tone without the rasp.
Considering a few things and looking for input.
1) Cut the H-Pipe between the H and the Steeda bracket (shown in the picture) and Install 12" Vibrant Resonators?
2) Go back to stock resonator and do nothing
3) Go back to stock resonator and spend a ton on an axle-back active exhaust.

Thoughts?

HPipe.jpg
I find it surprising, your experience with the H pipe (considering the active exhaust, as others have said, on a non-active, the experience is different) but from all the vids/sound clips I've seen for H pipes, it's always louder but deeper. If we were talking X pipe, yes, but H pipes *usually* don't have that same effect.

Ignore below vids if you've already seen, but AM used a Heartthrob H Pipe - whether Roush, Steeda, or otherwise, H Pipe geometry between all these brands is not so fundamentally different that it would net a totally different experience, is my first thought.

I myself have been thinking about doing an H Pipe, and watched countless clips, and seem to conclude that overall, result is a louder, deeper tone across all active modes.

Last edited:

Last One

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I have a 2019 GT, auto, PP1, active exhaust and the Steeda H-Pipe. I've experienced no negative impacts and many compliments on the sound. It does start a little louder i quiet mode on a cold start but it's within reason. I've had mine in for a little over one year and plan on using the same on my 2021 Mach 1. Very sorry that yours is not working out.

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Coyotes are raspy, especially with the stock mufflers. There's just no way around it.

Removing the resonator intensifies that, so this was pretty much expected.

Yes adding a couple of bullet resonators after the crossover will help with both the startup volume and tone/raspiness. That or go with different mufflers.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DoVa
Vehicle(s)
19 GT&Black accent package
Currently running Steeda X-pipe and couldn't be happier. The Cold start (like everybody else says, is loud at first but normal once engine warms up). For a while I did notice drone and increase noise when accelerating, turns out one of the clamps was loose. Once I put it back in place and tighten it up ( and checked and tighten the other 3), it was back to normal... loud when you step on it ( NO DRONE) but normal @ cruising speeds...
I'm about to drop some BBK LTHs, I was wondering if it will get that much louder and if getting the catted midpipe connector minimizes how much louder it gets?

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the heartthrob h pipe, resonator delete, with non axtive exhaust. Installed one month of ownership of my 2018 GT. Couldnt be happier with sound and there is no rasp. Stock mufflers. Drone is from the mufflers and/or rather no mufflers

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just installed a Steeda H-Pipe on my 2020 GT Convertible with active exhaust.
I was expecting a slight increase in volume, keeping the deep tone, no rasp, and no drone. I've got the total opposite.

Volume: The start-up volume is extremely loud. Too loud for what I was looking for.
Rasp: I find that when getting above 2500k RPM the tone is much raspier than with the stock resonator.
Drone: The drone inside the car is ridiculous, especially in 9th/10th gear on the highway which I'm thinking may be because it's a convertible and not a coupe as the videos I watched said there's no drone at all. Even with the stock exhaust there was some drone in track mode in 9th/10th, so I'm thinking it's a convertible thing. But the drone at all speeds now is a lot.

My goal: To reduce overall volume a little, and get back to a deeper tone without the rasp.
Considering a few things and looking for input.
1) Cut the H-Pipe between the H and the Steeda bracket (shown in the picture) and Install 12" Vibrant Resonators?
2) Go back to stock resonator and do nothing
3) Go back to stock resonator and spend a ton on an axle-back active exhaust.

Thoughts?

HPipe.jpg
Option 4 Magnaflow Tru-X. I ran it for a bit with OEM active mufflers. Track mode sounded fantastic with no raspiness at all. Just nice and deep tone. It just didn’t have quite as much volume as I wanted. Maybe ever so slightly louder than stock but better tone IMO.

I went to the Steeda H-pipe instead and like you the cold starts are a little too loud for me. Only start in quiet mode.

As for the raspiness, mine seems to settle down a bit once everything is warmed up. Under 3-4K it sounds fantastic and mean. After that, it’s a typical Coyote that’s a little raspy just louder.

I definitely hear the exhaust a lot more, but I think that might be partly due to the extra volume overall.

OP
OP
T123456

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
This is a good video, especially at 1:12, showing the start up difference, but much louder in person. I'm going to try adding the magnaflow competition's and see if that's what I'm looking for.

OP
OP
T123456

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Update: Unhooked the sound tube in the engine compartment, what a difference with the convertible top up. Now I hear the exhaust, but not the intolerable drone in the car and set the quiet start from 11pm-9am so I don't piss off the neighbors with the crazy cold start.

Sponsored

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Had mine installed today and it's awesome, huge sound difference and a little more pep as well. Def worth the money!!! And would advise everyone to do as well.

Screenshot_20210421-212301_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210421-212516_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
T123456

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Aw
Had mine installed today and it's awesome, huge sound difference and a little more pep as well. Def worth the money!!! And would advise everyone to do as well.

Screenshot_20210421-212301_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210421-212516_Gallery.jpg
Awesome. Sounds so much better now that I corked that sound tube, crazy how much extra drone comes through that convertible top. Still considering a different axle back though, maybe Borla S-type. I feel like it has a “farting” sound at the higher revs

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Aw

Awesome. Sounds so much better now that I corked that sound tube, crazy how much extra drone comes through that convertible top. Still considering a different axle back though, maybe Borla S-type. I feel like it has a “farting” sound at the higher revs
Thanks bro. I have active exhaust and run w track setting on all the time, loving it. Convertibles will always have more noise

OP
OP
T123456

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks bro. I have active exhaust and run w track setting on all the time, loving it. Convertibles will always have more noise
Same here. I couldn't put in on track mode with the way it was. Only way I can explain it was it felt like the car was pressurized and had to keep popping my ears like on an airplane. Took the sound tube out this morning and a world of difference. Still hear the exhaust, obviously, but I can tell it's coming from the rear now rather than left, right, front, back, up, down and every diagonal in between.
Sponsored