Sponsored

GT500 vs ZLE

Snakedriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Don’t forget for everyday driving the ZL1 1LE rides like a Dump Truck.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I remember that review, and the one for Motor Trend as well. Both of them you see the driver's head bouncing off the roof of the car multiple times. Johnny L. is saying how much he loves the car right at the same time his head is bouncing off the roof. I guess some people love that. No way would I put up with it. Even in a track only car I wouldn't want it that stiff.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
I remember that review, and the one for Motor Trend as well. Both of them you see the driver's head bouncing off the roof of the car multiple times. Johnny L. is saying how much he loves the car right at the same time his head is bouncing off the roof. I guess some people love that. No way would I put up with it. Even in a track only car I wouldn't want it that stiff.
So many heads bouncing off roofs....lol

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
After watching that Vid and the guy bouncing, almost makes me think GM paid C&D for a positive review to help boost sales to a already failed car. Never was a camaro fan ever, and until the 2015 Mustang design, was never a Mustang fan, but my opinion after watching that video is, GM paid somehow for that review in hopes it helps lift sales.

Sponsored

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
sure did get quiet in here
The only quietness is you continue to 'only read/believe' what you like. The article was pretty glaring that the GT500 isn't the cats meow, and still has quite a ways to go from a chassis perspective when it comes to going around corners or stopping... both where it took 2nd place to the 3 year old ZLE. So then... everyone 'cries' that the ZLE rides too rough? LOL

If you try hard enough you can continue to find your 'select scenario' to claim supremacy. But to know that a car anyone can grab for roughly $60K... can out handle out corner and out brake the 100K+ GT500 CFTP car is pretty impressive. You (nor the rest of the GT500 fanbois) want to hear it... that's all.

I live in AZ, our roads are smooth as glass... all new... the stiffer the car the better. But I have lived in plenty of other states... where I know you would get beat to snot in a ZLE or other track focused sports car, so I get it.

The GT500 is a great car and like I said earlier, as long as the track is 'faster' with long straights... I think the GT500 CFTP car can still get it done over the ZLE. But for almost $50K less... it's hard to deny the value of the ZLE's right now... IF YOU'RE TRACK FOCUSED. If you are just gonna daily the car... and goto the dragstrip... take the $70K GT500 all day long.

Dave

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
The only quietness is you continue to 'only read/believe' what you like. The article was pretty glaring that the GT500 isn't the cats meow, and still has quite a ways to go from a chassis perspective when it comes to going around corners or stopping... both where it took 2nd place to the 3 year old ZLE. So then... everyone 'cries' that the ZLE rides too rough? LOL

If you try hard enough you can continue to find your 'select scenario' to claim supremacy. But to know that a car anyone can grab for roughly $60K... can out handle out corner and out brake the 100K+ GT500 CFTP car is pretty impressive. You (nor the rest of the GT500 fanbois) want to hear it... that's all.

I live in AZ, our roads are smooth as glass... all new... the stiffer the car the better. But I have lived in plenty of other states... where I know you would get beat to snot in a ZLE or other track focused sports car, so I get it.

The GT500 is a great car and like I said earlier, as long as the track is 'faster' with long straights... I think the GT500 CFTP car can still get it done over the ZLE. But for almost $50K less... it's hard to deny the value of the ZLE's right now... IF YOU'RE TRACK FOCUSED. If you are just gonna daily the car... and goto the dragstrip... take the $70K GT500 all day long.

Dave
so, your saying daily usage of a zle only works in arizona?

id like to point out you are taking opinions from people whom get paid to stir drama, not review cars impartially.

Can you reference exactly where you gather the technical data to point to conclusive results of a ZLE besting the 500? or are you still refusing to believe that both statements can be true at the same time?

thats what i thought.. more opinion

if i want a car, as close to my 500, in every aspect, notice i said close, but still cant beat it.. id have to spend more than i spent on my 500..

sad sad day for GM people

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...keCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=CAM&clickType=listing

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
so, your saying daily usage of a zle only works in arizona?

id like to point out you are taking opinions from people whom get paid to stir drama, not review cars impartially.

Can you reference exactly where you gather the technical data to point to conclusive results of a ZLE besting the 500? or are you still refusing to believe that both statements can be true at the same time?

thats what i thought.. more opinion
LOL, so when the test is complimentary... they are no longer 'paid opinions to stir drama'... yet you continue to use the 'beating of the C8' as some sort of gospel... even though everyone that isn't a blue oval fanboi, knows the C8 base model is never intended to beat GT500's or ZLE's. They haven't come out with their 'track inspired' higher end models yet... but boy you love saying how the top of the line mustang beat the new base model corvette.... PUHLEESE.

And... Facts... again... you continue to 'only read/hear' what is positive to mustang... since the 'Steering numbness' must be 'paid pot stirring'... here are the FACTS from the C&D article:

Car and Driver instrument testing: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ng-shelby-gt500-vs-2019-chevy-camaro-zl1-1le/

At the test track, the Camaro also outgripped and outstopped the Mustang, with a 1.17-g skidpad performance and stops from 70 mph in 137 feet and from 100 mph in 268 feet. The Mustang trailed but not by much. Its 1.13-g skidpad performance is impressive considering it carries 56.6 percent of its 4059 pounds over the front wheels. It stops from 70 mph in 142 feet and from 100 mph in 279 feet.

And while, yes... I live in AZ, and drive on smooth roads and smooth tracks, it's a nice perk that affords us to even daily drive track dedicated cars, as long as they have A/C. :D However, I'll be running a ZLE in One Lap of America, so I'm sure I'll take my bumps along the road... but I like firm sports cars. Oh... and another Fact the 'ZLE' is still a 4 seater... just can't say that about the CFTP car can you?. ;)

Since you went back and edited your post... yet still haven't responded Voodoo... Please share with us ANY 4 seater car currently produced that can beat the ZLE around the road course.. FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY.

So yeah, you not only could have spent less, you'd have gone quicker... but maybe straight line is your thing? :)

Dave
PS... anyone notice how friggin' slow this site is since the update?

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Were rose colored glasses an option on the 500 this year? Asking for a friend

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1

Dave

You make great sense.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
This comparison showed what the ZLE can do as has been proven many times over.

However, it didn't show anywhere near what the GT500 can do. It has .25+ more Gs in it and nearly a full second in the 1/4 mile.

One the track, it is designed to handle like the business.

It seems like you have some drivers who have had ZLE seat time over the years, but no GT500 time.

Put the cars in the hands of those who know them and how to drive them or take a little time to get to know the car, and the 500 walks on the Z.

And they don't need a prepped track to see that difference.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't recall reading the Ford GT having a shitty ride quality like the ZLE.

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZLE, 2013 Honda Si, Grandad's 67 C2 L89
In this, lies the problem here... "I don't recall reading".

As citizens of this great nation, We should never deny a man his 1st Amendment rights. Or expression of ones opinion, even if it is based on second hand knowledge or lack of experience.

I submit that if one has no seat time in a ZLE or operating any performance vehicle with Multimatic DSSV dampers then you are not qualified to opine based on practical observation. One must understand the mathematically predictable nature of spool valve dampers vs. traditional dampers and MRC as well as the ultra consistent grip advantage at all speeds associated with a damper specifically engineered by Multimatic Specfinder software to match chassis (whether hard or soft mounted) design to be be qualified to expertly comment.

I also respectfully submit, that if one has no seat time in a Mustang AND a Camaro and have "experienced" the difference between the Alpha and S550 platforms (in a fixed setting i.e.road circuit [as street racing is a danger to all}), then one may also be unable to provide expert testimony.

Disclaimer; I have many hours and miles of seat time in GT350(TP) and ZLE. I could give a rats a** about 1/4 mile times. These two cars were not built for that purpose. Both are street legal track cars. Both are well built by their respective manufacturers and intended for the circuit.

I have zero seat time in a GT500, I am not qualified to comment as an expert. I am however able to express opinions on the matter, as are all in these forums.

I digress, back to Multimatic.

Multimatic DSSV has specifically engineered spool valve dampers for Ford Performance in the GT, GT MKII and Mustang GT4.

The firm ride associated with DSSV is so harsh that Multimatic DSSV is the factory damper on Ford GT. So harsh that Multimatic is in bed with Ford performance on the new GT MKII.

A better question might be; If GT500 is serious about the circuit, why isn't DSSV at least an option? It is after all, the standard damper on Ford's halo performance car (GT) and the Mustang GT4.
Sponsored