Sponsored

GT500 vs ZLE

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
For me, the huge price difference between the CFTP and the ZLE is why I would choose the ZLE. Nothing wrong with the GT500 performance wise, but I only drive manual cars.
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
For me, the huge price difference between the CFTP and the ZLE is why I would choose the ZLE. Nothing wrong with the GT500 performance wise, but I only drive manual cars.
I am the same way, that is one reason I bought the GT350 was for the manual. I just couldn't buy an auto. I know they are faster, just saying. I like rowing

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
There are tons of aftermarket options for track tools and options. PDR is very cool and I had it in my C7 but it’s not like I used for commuting which is what I’d did 90% of the time in the car.

The more I think about the ZL1 and 1LE the more I wonder how much harder it may be to sell the cars when the C8 starts showing up on dealer lots. Unless you have to have a manual or are really a hardcore track junkie I gotta think with the prices being so close, the C8 will be very compelling. Way more exotic, more tech, better interior.

Having sat in one I do think it looks way more than it costs. It’s going to be interesting.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how much harder it may be to sell the cars when the C8 starts showing up on dealer lots.
2020MY SS 1LE camaros are already 22% off MSRP. Been that way for almost 2 months now.
ZL1 are 15% off, and ZL1 1LE are likewise.
And that's just the opening bid!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The numb steering bit is interesting to me. Since the GT350 tramlined to some degree and many complained about it, Ford changed the steering. There will probably be no complaints about the tramlining with the new steering in the GT500, but the new thing is that the steering is numb. Previously the reviewers were saying that the Camaro steering was numb. It should be very interesting to read what the owners say over time. I'm betting this "numb" thing is so subtle that most people won't notice it.

Also interesting to me that the reviewers always said the ZL1 1LE was too stiffly suspended and they preferred the GT350R over it, but this review is different. The GT500 is definitely more comfortable, and it's going to be faster - but somehow now that doesn't matter anymore.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
and full circle back to manuals..

moral of the story, if you have under 100k to spend, the best value and fastest, most comfortable all around 4 seating car you can buy new for 2020.. well gents.. you already know..

Its sad that people have to make things up to complain about just to stay relevent

The numb steering bit is interesting to me. Since the GT350 tramlined to some degree and many complained about it, Ford changed the steering. There will probably be no complaints about the tramlining with the new steering in the GT500, but the new thing is that the steering is numb. Previously the reviewers were saying that the Camaro steering was numb. It should be very interesting to read what the owners say over time. I'm betting this "numb" thing is so subtle that most people won't notice it.

Also interesting to me that the reviewers always said the ZL1 1LE was too stiffly suspended and they preferred the GT350R over it, but this review is different. The GT500 is definitely more comfortable, and it's going to be faster - but somehow now that doesn't matter anymore.
and thats the shifting goal posts.. it was zle vs gt500, then when they saw the 500 kills it, it was C8 vs gt500, then they saw the 500 smoked that, so back to the zle until the c8 z06 rumors start flying

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Fast forward to 9:30 or so and see what the ZLE is like on a road with any type of issues. Now imagine roads worse than the ones Farrah is on and that was my experience. Several times I bottomed out which is not hard to do at all. People claiming these make good daily’s in stock form must be driving on roads made of glass. Imagine someone sitting in the backseat..

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
Fast forward to 9:30 or so and see what the ZLE is like on a road with any type of issues. Now imagine roads worse than the ones Farrah is on and that was my experience. Several times I bottomed out which is not hard to do at all. People claiming these make good daily’s in stock form must be driving on roads made of glass. Imagine someone sitting in the backseat..

Agreed. Maybe some people live with roads that are perfect, but not here. They are not good back road cars either, the ZL1 handles those much better than the ZLE. Granted, a miata is better than both on some of them.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Colorado truck as the Multimatic DSSV and I am not aware of any chorus of complaints regarding it's street manners. So clearly it can be tuned to properly deal with the real world. Just that GM chose not to. I wonder how many tenths a more friendly setup would have cost in lap times and if the trade off was truly worth it. Or is the ZLE's damper straight out of the professional racing circuit? If so, that was a stupid and avoidable error IMO.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Agreed. Maybe some people live with roads that are perfect, but not here. They are not good back road cars either, the ZL1 handles those much better than the ZLE. Granted, a miata is better than both on some of them.
100% agree. The ZL1 was night and day a more composed car on the same roads I drove. Ironically I drove a track prepped ND Miata to the test drive..

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The Colorado truck as the Multimatic DSSV and I am not aware of any chorus of complaints regarding it's street manners. So clearly it can be tuned to properly deal with the real world. Just that GM chose not to. I wonder how many tenths a more friendly setup would have cost in lap times and if the trade off was truly worth it. Or is the ZLE's damper straight out of the professional racing circuit? If so, that was a stupid and avoidable error IMO.
I had a F150 4x4 with a 351 V8. It was so stiff and it did not bother me at all for a DD. I drive pickups and they are all stiff. I can't see the ZLE being that stiff, as people say.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I had a F150 4x4 with a 351 V8. It was so stiff and it did not bother me at all for a DD. I drive pickups and they are all stiff. I can't see the ZLE being that stiff, as people say.
Did you watch the video above around 9:20 mark. Like I said I had a 17 Focus RS that got trashed for having a way too stiff and bouncy ride in Track mode. At least it had a normal mode that was tolerable. The ZLE is worse than the RS was in track mode. It’s by design though, GM made a purpose built track car and the ZL1 is really the only option in my mind if you want an FI Camaro for the street. Ford clearly took a more neutral approach.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I have the ZR2 and the ZLE. ZR2 is definitely tuned for comfortable highway driving, with the ability to catch air off roading (I do it a lot) and not bottom out as well as high speed stability offroad.

ZLE tuned for road racing. (<--- period :))

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It is. I've done 40+ track events (Roebling, Sebring, VIR, Moroso, Road Atlanta, CMS ...), I've owned cars setup for serious track duty, "sporty" cars, everything in between, i.e., I have some perspective on track driving / cars setup for the track (owned a Vette setup with the full T1 suspension components), and I can tell you the ZLE is insanely over the top, even for an "I love a sporty feel" daily driver.
Sponsored