Sponsored

GT350R Wing's Downforce?

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
The swing is both a spoiler and a wing. Pretty good idea if you ask me. Partial lift, and partial reduction of lift. Somewhere the Ford engineers determined that a percentage of lift vs a percentage of spoil would create an overall positive effect. The swing seems to me that you get the top end speed benefits of less induced and parasitic drag, and some downward lift at cornering speeds.

Brilliant.
Yes, Dan Gurney had the right inventor intuition without the engineering degree which is remarkable. He also was a character - After winning the Cannonball Run in 1971, co-driving with event founder Brock Yates in a Ferrari Daytona that crossed the country in 35 hours and 54 minutes, Gurney reassured those concerned about the safety of the event, which took place on public roads, with one of the greatest quotes ever uttered in the automotive kingdom: “At no time did we exceed 175 mph.” ; )
Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
They are not my problems. They were a cause & effect someone else suspected. As I said I found it doubtful specifically because of how a wicker works.

I’m not really sure what you would like me to do, write an article about it? That’s two people so far. If you show that it is a systematic issue where everyone is having an issue then Ford, perhaps, will make a statement, but still that’s not something that I would be covering.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't understand peoples concern here. It is what it is. How many people who are going to get the swing are going to track their car and realize the difference? It seems this is just a discussion to make people who have a spoiler or a swing feel better about it. Are people trying to make a point that the swing is better than the spoiler, or even the wing? None of them are equal or better at anything. Think of them as different tools for the job. The spoiler or the swing are a cheaper solution as opposed to the more expensive (carbon fiber) wing. Me? Id rather have the wing for all the reasons stated.

The swing is a nice compromise, but it sure as hell isn't a wing.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I don't understand peoples concern here. It is what it is. How many people who are going to get the swing are going to track their car and realize the difference? It seems this is just a discussion to make people who have a spoiler or a swing feel better about it. Are people trying to make a point that the swing is better than the spoiler, or even the wing? None of them are equal or better at anything. Think of them as different tools for the job. The spoiler or the swing are a cheaper solution as opposed to the more expensive (carbon fiber) wing. Me? Id rather have the wing for all the reasons stated.

I'm more concerned about getting the front to stick more lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think most of us would rather have the wing. It's just this silly little $$$ thing.

If I had kept my GT350 I was seriously considering going to the swing though.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That is a good point.... Balance.
I think most of us would rather have the wing. It's just this silly little $$$ thing.

If I had kept my GT350 I was seriously considering going to the swing though.
Yes, and the swing would be an upgrade from a spoiler, but it isn't a wing by a longshot.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Yeah I don't get it either. You need to get out there on the track to understand and even most on the forums aren't doing that. The swing was designed by smart capable people.

One thing I do know is I'm smart enough to know that I'm not smart enough to outsmart dynamics engineers.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars

It should not be an issue. Ford has offered different downforce levels to compliment each car package whether you drive a PP2, base GT350, GT350R, or GT500. Every wing is optimized and get the most out of every vehicle package.

The swing is a spoiler combined wing; however the immediate post at the beginning was about what were the technical downforce numbers and those were delivered.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It should not be an issue. Ford has offered different downforce levels to compliment each car package whether you drive a PP2, base GT350, GT350R, or GT500. Every wing is optimized and get the most out of every vehicle package.

The swing is a spoiler combined wing; however the immediate post at the beginning was about what were the technical downforce numbers and those were delivered.
I agree

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I’m not really sure what you would like me to do, write an article about it?.
You wrote that in response to me - I hadn't asked for anything nor did I say this was a problem for Ford or us <shrug> We're just talking.

FWIW Someone has already written an article on this topic with respect to MY'19:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/2018/06/15/whats-gurney-flap-gt350-getting-one/

My '19 will have the swing for better or worse and I'm happy to share my observations when/if it is delivered this long drawn out production year (my build date is less than a month from today). I will definitely be looking for adverse road debris pickup when the Gurney installed initially but I don't anticipate such problems at spirited highway speeds. As for track experience with it - I will be at track attack in 2-3 weeks and will ask there for their experiences assuming they have any with MY19 changes (spring rates & brakes too). If anyone has a mass of experience its those guys.

FWIW about the MY '19 grill treatment:
The Mustang’s Chief Engineer Carl Widmann discussed the car’s aero improvements, pointing out the additional grille “blanking” up front. According to Widmann, the outgoing car had some excess cooling capacity, so Ford decided to close off a bit more of the grille to reduce front lift and aerodynamic drag. Widmann says the 2019 model’s drag coefficient dropped by about .010.
(before optional Gurney)

Sponsored
OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't want to start so much controversy with my question, but the reason I asked is because in the below video, they state that the R's wing has more down force than the swing. I was just wondering where they got that data since I couldn't find it. He states this at the 7:29 mark.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's funny, I do agree that the GT350 understeers a little more than I would prefer, but in high speed corners where wings/swings/spoilers really have an impact I BY FAR prefer understeer over oversteer.

I switched from the tech pack nothing to the track pack spoiler for this purpose.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Didn't want to start so much controversy with my question, but the reason I asked is because in the below video, they state that the R's wing has more down force than the swing. I was just wondering where they got that data since I couldn't find it. He states this at the 7:29 mark.
Raities Rides is no expert. He is a school teacher who interviews other people's cars. Take it for what it's worth.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
It's funny, I do agree that the GT350 understeers a little more than I would prefer, but in high speed corners where wings/swings/spoilers really have an impact I BY FAR prefer understeer over oversteer.

I switched from the tech pack nothing to the track pack spoiler for this purpose.
Def not a one size fits all thing.... my home track I find it difficult to get the rear to let go at all... I agree with your line of thought though and probably need to keep my future away track wish list in mind as I change my car, it'd suck to pick up a second on the home track only to have a car that's scary at one with higher speed curves!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Raities Rides is no expert. He is a school teacher who interviews other people's cars. Take it for what it's worth.
He calls the R's wing a "spoiler" and then calls the base car's "spoiler/swing" a wing. :cwl:
Sponsored