yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Hey Guys!
I have noticed since a time ago that when I start up my car it feels weak. Yesterday was really noticeable because it took 2 seconds to crank. Today I ran a test and the cranking test was low (9.41V). Does that mean the battery is not good enough and should I replace it (for the same battery or there is a better option)? Battery test was GOOD, health 52%, and Charhe 100%. Should I worry about that cranking low result? I repeated it, and both times was low. Sometimes I use a battery tender, but this last time not, and the car was stopped for about a week.

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

This is my OEM battery, it has 3 years on it but I barely use it, only 2900 miles in 3 years.
IMG_3089.jpg
Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like it is time for a new battery. I replaced mine a bit over a year ago with an Interstate battery from Costco (for the Mustang GT) and have had zero issues/concerns. It is higher CCA, has a 3 year warranty, and is about $110. Unless you are racing and can't deal with any additional battery weight, I recommend it over OEM. The CCA amps on our OEM batteries are a bit low.

27682686-73E4-4269-B0D3-92F60A651DBA.png

OP
OP
yosv0610

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Sounds like it is time for a new battery. I replaced mine a bit over a year ago with an Interstate battery from Costco (for the Mustang GT) and have had zero issues/concerns. It is higher CCA, has a 3 year warranty, and is about $110. Unless you are racing and can't deal with any additional battery weight, I recommend it over OEM. The CCA amps on our OEM batteries are a bit low.

27682686-73E4-4269-B0D3-92F60A651DBA.png
When my buddy bought his GT350R (2017 used, in 2021), he had to replace the battery (that battery was replaced a year ago by the previous owner) because the car didn't start 2 times. After almost 2 years with the new one, he felt the same cranking low. Sometimes my car starts way high (exhaust) and instantly, but this only happens a few times in a while.

I connected the tender and I will run the test again later...

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
Mine was replaced by Ford last year. They gave me the GT Mustang battery as a replacement. Car was 3 years old and had 14,000 miles.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Buy a tender and plug it in when your not driving it. It really extends the life of the battery. Costco has them for about 45$ usually. I buy my batteries there as well. Prices are very good and the warranty is no hassle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yosv0610

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Mine was replaced by Ford last year. They gave me the GT Mustang battery as a replacement. Car was 3 years old and had 14,000 miles.
It was free?

OP
OP
yosv0610

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Buy a tender and plug it in when your not driving it. It really extends the life of the battery. Costco has them for about 45$ usually. I buy my batteries there as well. Prices are very good and the warranty is no hassle.
I have a tender and always the crank sound is strong, but if I leave the car without the tender, it will crank poorly. If you take the car out, there is a big chance that this battery could fail. I will replace it soon. Just need to confirm the GT battery with 570CCA is good enough for the 350R, and what should I be concerned about replacing a battery by myself? I don't like to go to dealers, always it is a nightmare (scratch, break, always something, miscommunication).

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Agree, new battery, starting the car has the same effect a load test does when run on a battery.

The first reading shows a surface charge. The starter having a big amp draw, quickly pulls the battery down.

Hennessey"R"

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura TSX, 2014 Acura MDX, 2017 GT350R
Mine is a 2017 and I replaced mine last year! I kept a tender on it but it got to a point that it wouldnā€™t start after a couple days not on tender! Also when I was shopping for the battery ,, for shtz and giggles I thought I would call the dealer for a motorcraft one , and to my surprise the dealer was considerably cheaper than autozone and advance!!

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have a co-worker who got 19 years out of a battery that lived on a battery tender.

The battery in my truck (ā€˜02 F150) is at least 15. I forgot when I got it.

Tenders are legit. You still need to look for clues as a tender on occasion can mask a bad/dying battery. Happened to me in this car. Car lives on a tender. Then one day out of the blue, took it off a tender for a drive. Out on the town, I got one slow start, and then nothing on the second. Never saw it coming. I blame the tender for masking the clues. But thatā€™s certainly an isolated case and not the majority. Iā€™d never give up a tender over this one event.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
10-year-old battery
Had a similar instance, tender led was green, remove it prepped the car for a ride. A slow start, and then nothing. Reconnected the tender flashing red, then steady green.

I knew that was wrong, cause the sequence red too green was too fast for the battery. Clue, after any drive time, long or short.

Hooking up a tender, the red & green pules. Shortly after that, the green continues to flash until the battery has been fully recovered, steady green led.

Tender did not mask a battery problem, the user miss read the clue. Never mentioned how the truck was started, I'm guessing it was jumped.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have a tender and always the crank sound is strong, but if I leave the car without the tender, it will crank poorly. If you take the car out, there is a big chance that this battery could fail. I will replace it soon. Just need to confirm the GT battery with 570CCA is good enough for the 350R, and what should I be concerned about replacing a battery by myself? I don't like to go to dealers, always it is a nightmare (scratch, break, always something, miscommunication).
Yes. It's bigger than the GT350/R battery. It will be fine, just a bit heavier.