Sponsored

Winter replacement tires for GT350R

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Any suggestions. Its 45 degrees and lower here a lot and I would rather use the cup 2s for the track if I go. Ive searched threads for options in tires and sizes but am having trouble finding answers. Anyway I want to run some rubber on the stock carbon wheels that will be decent year round. Dry conditions only but in Virginia so it stays cooler Dec-March. Thanks.
Sponsored

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Any suggestions. Its 45 degrees and lower here a lot and I would rather use the cup 2s for the track if I go. Ive searched threads for options in tires and sizes but am having trouble finding answers. Anyway I want to run some rubber on the stock carbon wheels that will be decent year round. Dry conditions only but in Virginia so it stays cooler Dec-March. Thanks.
I'm in Maryland, near DC, so temps are about the same. I also drive mine in the winter when roads are clear of salt/snow. I've got a 2019 GT350. I shelved my summer only Cup2's and this is what I have: Front: Michelin P.S. A/S 3's 275/40/19. Rears: Michelin P.S. A/S Plus N-spec 285/40/19. I've been extremely happy with their performance and handling. The speedo difference is negligible. The rear N-spec's run wide for a 285 and are actually about 3/4 inch wider than the stock Cup 2's! I did a lot of research and also enlisted the help of a tire dealer owner who provides race tires for SCCA competitors in our area. He's the man for performance tires and the tires I have are what he suggested.

Just for shits and grins I took the car out with the Garmin attached so I could get a GPS speed reading. The car reads 1MPH less than the Garmin shows, and it fluctuates back and forth from being dead on and 1 mph less. So as said, it's negligible.

Last edited:

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I just ordered 4 of these on Friday and they shipped. Can’t beat the price
https://www.newegg.com/continental-295-35r19-car-performance/p/0R8-0095-00035?clickCart=true
Good tire if you plan to drive in the snow, as its a designated snow and winter tire. Not many of us will be driving our GT350's when the first flake falls from the sky! Most of us are looking for an all season tire that will be capable of maintaining good traction both in winter and summer. Winter tires are not recommended for driving during warm or summer months due to the specific rubber chemistry of the winter tire. All seasons are capable year round.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Good tire if you plan to drive in the snow, as its a designated snow and winter tire. Not many of us will be driving our GT350's when the first flake falls from the sky! Most of us are looking for an all season tire that will be capable of maintaining good traction both in winter and summer. Winter tires are not recommended for driving during warm or summer months due to the specific rubber chemistry of the winter tire. All seasons are capable year round.
Yes I don’t want all seasons. I want high performance summer tires for summer, and dedicated winter tires for winter. It’s how I setup all my sports cars. All season tires have gotten better but so have dedicated summer and winter tires.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I had AS3s on my CTSV coupe....and well, they did not have enough grip in the summer to hold the power..the car was hamstrung by them. In the winter they were ok in cold temps when you were not hooning it....it came that way with them. Had i kept the the car, I would have ditched them after they got used up and got extra rims for real winter tires and real summer tires. .

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm assuming everyone remembers that the R wheels are wider than the standard GT350 wheels, so the tire sizes will also vary. I'd recommend getting a second set of cheaper wheels in standard GT350 width to mount the all seasons on. The added cost of the wheels will quickly be made up in the convenience of being able to swap them yourself and having more tire sizes available.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Just as an FYI to anyone reading this thread; all season tires are absolutely not capable year round. “All-weather” tires, a different category from all-season tires, are capable of maintaining their grip once temperatures drop below 7*C.

All-season tires, no matter who says different or what experience they have, begin to lose their grip below the aforementioned temperature. They are simply more durable and more capable in heavy rain typically than a summer tire, and nowhere near as capable, or as safe, as a dedicated winter tire.

OP: if you’re looking for an actual winter tire, and one that’s best suited for cold, dry temperatures, take a look at the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (though I think the 5 may be out now) or the Pirelli Winter Sottozero III. Both tires are designated winter tires, but excel at providing maximum grip on cold dry surfaces; essentially sports car tires for the winter if you don’t need to drive through deep snow often.

PS: I had the PA4’s on my WRX in Newfoundland Canada, and they did decent in the heavy snow we get though the dry grip was great. Big difference as well between tires that are designated as “winter performance tires” or a snow tire; my Nokian Hakkapelliita’s that I run on my daily now are far superior in terms of getting through deep snow and dealing with ice, but wouldn’t touch the Michelin’s or Pirellis I mentioned above in terms of lateral grip on dry pavement.

voodoo-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
t.o.d
Vehicle(s)
2017-GT350R
I'm assuming everyone remembers that the R wheels are wider than the standard GT350 wheels, so the tire sizes will also vary. I'd recommend getting a second set of cheaper wheels in standard GT350 width to mount the all seasons on. The added cost of the wheels will quickly be made up in the convenience of being able to swap them yourself and having more tire sizes available.
That's my plan for my GT350. Winter set to drive in the cold weather. My summer set will be installed on the GT350R during winter storage to save the Cup2s. If I would put a winter set on the R I would get the LMR SVE R350 wheels.

Sponsored

voodoo-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
t.o.d
Vehicle(s)
2017-GT350R
PS: I had the PA4’s on my WRX in Newfoundland Canada, and they did decent in the heavy snow we get though the dry grip was great. Big difference as well between tires that are designated as “winter performance tires” or a snow tire; my Nokian Hakkapelliita’s that I run on my daily now are far superior in terms of getting through deep snow and dealing with ice, but wouldn’t touch the Michelin’s or Pirellis I mentioned above in terms of lateral grip on dry pavement.
The PA4s are awesome. Had a set in the basement to be installed. Saw thill444's post and returned them and saved $1k. But I do not plan to drive in the snow just in the cold weather so the Conti's will work just fine.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The PA4s are awesome. Had a set in the basement to be installed. Saw thill444's post and returned them and saved $1k. But I do not plan to drive in the snow just in the cold weather so the Conti's will work just fine.
Glad I could help! I know for this size/weight of tire it's a crazy good deal. Priority Tire (the seller) also has a good deal on Cup2's that a number of people on the forum have taken advantage of.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Are you guys driving the cars in the snow?

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Are you guys driving the cars in the snow?
Not any real accumulation. I usually wait for the roads to clear, but it's more about temperatures, especially below 20-30's. Winter tires do much better in the teens. But if I am out and it starts snowing it's nice to have the piece of mind even with an inch or two.

voodoo-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
t.o.d
Vehicle(s)
2017-GT350R
Glad I could help! I know for this size/weight of tire it's a crazy good deal. Priority Tire (the seller) also has a good deal on Cup2's that a number of people on the forum have taken advantage of.
Yeah man. Ill keep in mind for the future. I owe you a beer. The tire size has been by question for me since there not many options for 295. If you drop down to 285 there are a bunch more options. Ford performance says they did winter testing with 255 front & 275 rear. That seems like a crazy stretch. The conti's can be installed on 10-11.5" wheel per their website and for under $500 lets give em a try.
Sponsored