Sponsored

GT350 Worth Buying?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
After reading everything there is to find about the GT350, If I had the money I'd be at the dealership right now buying one. Best looking car in it's price range and the Voodoo is amazing. Also, even though it's not a 1/4 mile car, the times are still pretty impressive, and obviously it looks incredible on road courses. Even if you don't like it you could probably recoup most of your money when selling it.
Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Thought the 2012 boss mustang I use to own would be the best mustang ever but now I know that's not true anymore. They even named a beer after the engine.:cheers:
hero_2017voodoorangeripa.jpg

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
Thought the 2012 boss mustang I use to own would be the best mustang ever but now I know that's not true anymore. They even named a beer after the engine.:cheers:
Hmm...is that from the peeps who make fat tire?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
OP, read the Track Attendance thread, track threads, my build threads, pretty much any thread in this forum related to the GT350....tons of info to help inform your decision.

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I sold my GT350 and not because there was any problem with the car. Here is what I consider an objective review of the GT350.

The fit and finish was outstanding on my car even though I know a lot of cars have issues, especially with the rear bumper sagging. No paint issues at all. Perhaps it was the AG color but I did not notice any orange peel. A welcome change from Chevy's paint. Again, I know some have had paint issues but my car was not one of them.

The engine is amazing when you get into the revs. Nothing else sounds like the GT350. The gear box was great but the clutch was horrible. Even with the return spring gone it was like an on-off switch. The engine does not have much TQ until you get above 3500 RPM. You really need to get into the revs to feel the power. When you hit 6000 RPM and you realize you still have 2250 until red line you get a big grin on your face.

Handling is outstanding. I never thought a Mustang would corner like the GT350 does. I had a C7 without mag ride and the Mustang felt more planted in the turns which blew my mind. The tires grip was amazing but being so wide, they tram-line pretty badly. It was almost scary the way it would pull on uneven surfaces. This is a car you need to drive. If you just want to lean back and relax, you don't want a GT350.

The interior was pretty impressive for a Mustang. I think it's the nicest Mustang interior ever. Given the price point, I don't think there is much to do with the interior. If you are a large guy, sit in the Recaro's before buying. I so wanted the Recaro's until I sat in them. The side bolsters would dig into my side. As much as I didn't want the sofa's, I had to go with them to avoid pain on my regular drives from PA to NC.

The brakes were very impressive. Again, best brakes of any Mustang. The Brembo's stop this car on a dime. I almost sent a passenger through the windshield once when the car stopped faster than I expected.

So why did I sell it? 3 main reasons in order of importance:

1.) I got the right offer at the right time.
2.) The lack of tq below 3500 made the GT350 kinda blah to me. Once you get into the meat of the tq curve, you're likely going way too fast for the street. I found myself bringing the RPM's up way too often to be safe.
3.) The clutch was just horrible to me. After all the effort Ford put into the GT350, it's a damn shame they stuck us with such a horrible clutch.

Overall, I think the GT350 is a great car. It is extremely well suited for track duty. Very street-able but more fun for me at the track. It was hard for me to even get to 6/10's of this cars potential on the street. I was able to get 8/10's on the track. A really seasoned track guy could really do wonders with this car.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
This is my first Mustang and I'm coming from Corvettes. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't hesitate and definitely purchase another 350, flaws and all. This car is extremely engaging to drive and the noises it makes is worth the price of admission. I haven't driven a car like the 350 at sane speeds where I just wanted to perform rev matched downshifts and heal and toe downshifts for no reason at all but to hear the Voodoo change sound character throughout the rev range....very satisfying.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Correction to the quote from above "When you hit 6000 RPM and you realize you still have 2250 until red line you get a HUGE grin on your face."

Ive had mine for 1 and 1/2 years and absolutely love it. If you're in an area where you can open it up often it's a load of fun.

Agree the car is slow off the line (hard to launch) but as the car in 1st revs to 5-6k (about 30-40mph) it lights the tires :D.

Last edited:

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
I sold my GT350 and not because there was any problem with the car. Here is what I consider an objective review of the GT350.

The fit and finish was outstanding on my car even though I know a lot of cars have issues, especially with the rear bumper sagging. No paint issues at all. Perhaps it was the AG color but I did not notice any orange peel. A welcome change from Chevy's paint. Again, I know some have had paint issues but my car was not one of them.

The engine is amazing when you get into the revs. Nothing else sounds like the GT350. The gear box was great but the clutch was horrible. Even with the return spring gone it was like an on-off switch. The engine does not have much TQ until you get above 3500 RPM. You really need to get into the revs to feel the power. When you hit 6000 RPM and you realize you still have 2250 until red line you get a big grin on your face.

Handling is outstanding. I never thought a Mustang would corner like the GT350 does. I had a C7 without mag ride and the Mustang felt more planted in the turns which blew my mind. The tires grip was amazing but being so wide, they tram-line pretty badly. It was almost scary the way it would pull on uneven surfaces. This is a car you need to drive. If you just want to lean back and relax, you don't want a GT350.

The interior was pretty impressive for a Mustang. I think it's the nicest Mustang interior ever. Given the price point, I don't think there is much to do with the interior. If you are a large guy, sit in the Recaro's before buying. I so wanted the Recaro's until I sat in them. The side bolsters would dig into my side. As much as I didn't want the sofa's, I had to go with them to avoid pain on my regular drives from PA to NC.

The brakes were very impressive. Again, best brakes of any Mustang. The Brembo's stop this car on a dime. I almost sent a passenger through the windshield once when the car stopped faster than I expected.

So why did I sell it? 3 main reasons in order of importance:

1.) I got the right offer at the right time.
2.) The lack of tq below 3500 made the GT350 kinda blah to me. Once you get into the meat of the tq curve, you're likely going way too fast for the street. I found myself bringing the RPM's up way too often to be safe.
3.) The clutch was just horrible to me. After all the effort Ford put into the GT350, it's a damn shame they stuck us with such a horrible clutch.

Overall, I think the GT350 is a great car. It is extremely well suited for track duty. Very street-able but more fun for me at the track. It was hard for me to even get to 6/10's of this cars potential on the street. I was able to get 8/10's on the track. A really seasoned track guy could really do wonders with this car.
Great review. Only thing I can add is I don't have any issues with the clutch after the steeda spring swap.

Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
^This.
I agree the stock clutch sucks but the Steeda clutch spring transformed the clutch into a progressive unit that made shifting more enjoyable.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
If you want a good drag car, look elsewhere. Due to the natural aspirated high revving character of the engine, it is not best for 1/4 mile races...
I recommend a 2013/14 GT500.
Sorry but I hate when people make the statement you just made. When will people get it through their heads. It's not the engine it's the transmission gearing that is at fault. The tremec 3160 is geared for ford courses not 1/4 mile.
With the right gearing, less weight (in a fox body or stripped down s550, say a Jericho dr4 trans, 28" slicks and 4.56 gears) the voodoo would kill a lot of cars.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sorry but I hate when people make the statement you just made. When will people get it through their heads. It's not the engine it's the transmission gearing that is at fault. The tremec 3160 is geared for ford courses not 1/4 mile.
With the right gearing, less weight (in a fox body or stripped down s550, say a Jericho dr4 trans, 28" slicks and 4.56 gears) the voodoo would kill a lot of cars.
But fact of the matter is, it's not. It's in a GT350 that weighs 3700+ with those gear ratios and those conditions. He's not asking about the Voodoo, he's asking about the car as a whole package.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Are there issues? Hmm - well I did spend quite a few weekends swapping out the transmission on my car recently, so that's fresh on my mind!

First car I've owned for more than a year and not been bored with it. Can't wait to get back to the track!

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I have had my GT350 for 1.5 years and 14,000 miles and it has been my daily driver except when there is snow on the pavement, and my track car on weekends. Unlike others here, I have had zero issues with my car, not one complaint. The most significant negative I can think of has to be about the amount of brake dust that collects on the wheels. That I can live with, as the price for great brakes. Finding the perfect car can be hit or miss as far as quality issues go.
OP - My suggestion to you is to find a test drive at a dealer or private party. That will set you straight, one way or the other.
Sponsored

Last edited: