metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS/TC, 2017 Fusion Sport, 2018 Explorer
I'm in the market for a new Mustang, and my local dealer is allowing me to order a new GT350 at MSRP. I normally use X-Plan, but looking at the GT350 specs, it seems like it would fit my needs down to a T except it is rather steep and I want to make sure it is worth the dollars.

I read about the recall for the oil cooler hoses, and it seems like Ford traditionally has issues with oil cooler hoses sealing properly, whether it is a 1996-up Crown Vic Police Interceptor or apparently the S550 GT Track Package / GT350s. They all seem to leak.

Aside from that, are there any other noteworthy issues? The magazine tests for the GT350 straightline aren't that great. My 2014 SHO with my own tune and all stock hardware runs 12.4 in the 1/4 mile all day long (I literally have 6+ timeslips all with the same 60', 1/8, and 1/4 within 0.001 seconds) at over 800' ASL and with 30k mile Goodyear RS-A tires. My local tuner recommends I just get a blown auto GT instead.
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a good drag car, look elsewhere. Due to the natural aspirated high revving character of the engine, it is not best for 1/4 mile races...
I recommend a 2013/14 GT500.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
You could wind this question back several years and ask " should I buy a GT 500 or a Boss 302 LS "?

Answer depends on whether you want to go fast in a straight line or fast around corners.

If all you are interested in is fast timeslips in a straight line why would you be looking at a GT 350? You don't even need to buy a new GT to do that.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I'm in the market for a new Mustang, and my local dealer is allowing me to order a new GT350 at MSRP. I normally use X-Plan, but looking at the GT350 specs, it seems like it would fit my needs down to a T except it is rather steep and I want to make sure it is worth the dollars.

I read about the recall for the oil cooler hoses, and it seems like Ford traditionally has issues with oil cooler hoses sealing properly, whether it is a 1996-up Crown Vic Police Interceptor or apparently the S550 GT Track Package / GT350s. They all seem to leak.

Aside from that, are there any other noteworthy issues? The magazine tests for the GT350 straightline aren't that great. My 2014 SHO with my own tune and all stock hardware runs 12.4 in the 1/4 mile all day long (I literally have 6+ timeslips all with the same 60', 1/8, and 1/4 within 0.001 seconds) at over 800' ASL and with 30k mile Goodyear RS-A tires. My local tuner recommends I just get a blown auto GT instead.
To each his own. If you are looking at straight line speed stay far away. If you are looking at a drivers car, engaging, rewarding on road course and back roads, unique exhaust note, thrilling visceral car then this is it. It is steep for what some would just call a "Mustang". Having said that, find me a car with the performance specs of the 350 at a matching price point and you would be hard pressed. When I ordered mine I asked no one for their opinion and researched lots. I have been in a lot of mustangs and this by far is the leas Mustang of them all. Ask all the Porsche owners how they feel about their 350's and you will get s similar response. That's saying something.

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS/TC, 2017 Fusion Sport, 2018 Explorer
I wasn't looking for a fast straight line car. I do appreciate the higher revving 5.2 V8 and the road course oriented setup.

Are there any quality issues with the GT350 or any problems?

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I wasn't looking for a fast straight line car. I do appreciate the higher revving 5.2 V8 and the road course oriented setup.

quality issues? Many. Problems? Lots. Still, I will be buying another. This forum will give you all the answers you seek.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Any problems? Apart from cars that caught fire on the track, a recall to fix an oil line, an occasional limp home mode, poor fitting bumper, incorrectly assembled splitters, levelling blocks left in their GT350R suspension, and hot air in the AC?

Nope, no problems at all.

Seriously, it's hard to say it's worse than average or not. That requires data and an objective view few of us have. You'll need to evaluate this for yourself, but it's not exactly Toyota Camry reliable. Tends to be a little faster on the road course though.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

other then : bumpers sagging down, oil cooler lines needing replacement, hoods flapping at high speed, engine blocks delivered with cracks, unusually high oil consumption on some engines, piston slap causing a rattle at certain rpms, consoles and shifters vibrating inside the cabin at certain rpms, massive tramlining ; no it is pretty nice. :cheers:

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think it's worth it. Fits my style almost perfect. Personally have not experienced any problems.

Sponsored

17SHLB350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
As a 3 month long owner, I would say it was well worth the $60k for what I use it for, daily driving, track, grocery getter and winding back roads! Have not had any issues after 2700 miles. Compared to other sport/muscle cars in the same price point (Corvettes, Camaros, Audi, etc.) the Shelby met my needs and then some.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
To me its a steal at the price. Id not have it as my only car based on the traffic I sit in. I have had no problems but I only have 4K and 10 months on it.

Last edited:

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I can't imagine owning a Taurus and looking at a GT350 and having to stop and ask myself if it's really the right car. lol.

People are trading M3's and Porsche 911's for them... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's going to be better than the SHO. ;)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Any problems? Apart from cars that caught fire on the track, a recall to fix an oil line, an occasional limp home mode, poor fitting bumper, incorrectly assembled splitters, levelling blocks left in their GT350R suspension, and hot air in the AC?
other then : bumpers sagging down, oil cooler lines needing replacement, hoods flapping at high speed, engine blocks delivered with cracks, unusually high oil consumption on some engines, piston slap causing a rattle at certain rpms, consoles and shifters vibrating inside the cabin at certain rpms, massive tramlining ; no it is pretty nice. :cheers:

If we are going to play that game just ask a master tech from any brand and they can crush your dreams pretty quick. There is no car without problems. Anyone who's wanted an AMG M156-powered car like the C63 can look forward to intake manifold gasket issues all the way to camshafts digging graves for themselves in the cylinder heads(literally digging into the heads). I can go on but I'm working on a BMW M6 S85 right now and I'm just shaking my head while the oil pan is coming out(failed VANOS oil pump).

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
If we are going to play that game just ask a master tech from any brand and they can crush your dreams pretty quick. There is no car without problems. Anyone who's wanted an AMG M156-powered car like the C63 can look forward to intake manifold gasket issues all the way to camshafts digging graves for themselves in the cylinder heads(literally digging into the heads). I can go on but I'm working on a BMW M6 S85 right now and I'm just shaking my head while the oil pan is coming out(failed VANOS oil pump).
I had the M5 with that engine. Yep, I replaced the Vanos pump (cracked tooth on sprocket) , and rod bearings as preventative measure.
At times, I miss my M5 to be honest.
Sponsored