Is it worth buying a Shelby gt350?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's not that. I think you should get a ride in one before you post again, really.

I know the attraction is that you think the new GT is some special, amazing, secret sauce deal of performance - and it might be - but don't think you aren't giving things up with the 350. No one knows for sure but I'd bet that, for so many reasons, the 16 GT350 will be worth more than a PP2 GT, by more than the current price of admission.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If you have to think twice about it, then it’s equity is only as good as you want it to be.

Quit overthinking it. If you want a GT350 then go for it. Then don’t open a web forum for at least a few thousand miles of driving the car. Then decide if you made the right decision.

Do you turn around and look at your car when you walk away? I do, and looking back at a special car vs a modified to “equivalent” car is different. With all of the rhetoric here, just decide if the value to you outweighs others opinions.

I did a lot of hand wringing before I committed, but I will never regret the choice. The ONLY time there is any bit of doubt, is when I have not driven the car for a while. An early trip on a secluded road and a 8,250 in second or third gear will kill any doubt.

I’m also feeling a little to old for caring what others think about what a good deal is on a car based on a magazine article, but I also have every Hot Rod, Car Craft, and Road and Track magazine since I subscribed in 86. So take that for what it’s worth, no pun intended.
On days I don't drive my car and I'm on the computer with one of the pictures of my car on the desktop, I'll open one up, admire it and still can't believe how fucking sexy it looks. Honey moon phase over a year later and still no end in sight. I'm driving it more than I thought I would, and if I keep it up, I'll end up losing a year on my extended warranty due to mileage.

Reactions: JJ

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
While there is a smaller price gap as some have stated for the cost of entry, one simply has to compare the relative values of previous SE (Boss/Shelby) to a gt of the same year and this might sway it. I’m not one of those “Shelby will be worth more” people, I am simply saying historically, SE models depreciate less or more slowly than a gt of the same year. It’s not “the” argument but it is something to consider.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
So you're saying the Shelby is better because it has 500 more RPM than the 2018?
For what it's worth, I've owned my car for over a year, and over 10,000 miles, and kbb and NADA is still quoting MSRP retail value for my car.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
On days I don't drive my car and I'm on the computer with one of the pictures of my car on the desktop, I'll open one up, admire it and still can't believe how fucking sexy it looks. Honey moon phase over a year later and still no end in sight. I'm driving it more than I thought I would, and if I keep it up, I'll end up losing a year on my extended warranty due to mileage.
I agree. 11.5K miles and still grinning ear to ear. Just pulled the cover off for another drive to work tomorrow!

Sponsored

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
While there is a smaller price gap as some have stated for the cost of entry, one simply has to compare the relative values of previous SE (Boss/Shelby) to a gt of the same year and this might sway it. I’m not one of those “Shelby will be worth more” people, I am simply saying historically, SE models depreciate less or more slowly than a gt of the same year. It’s not “the” argument but it is something to consider.
Do you know where the 93 Cobra is from your sig?

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
btown93, sorry to bait you here but just making a point that speaks to the sort of culture that has a different point of view about special cars. Not a better point of view, just different. There is a reason why folks come here to test the waters. I believe it is more about some sort of justification to others than their own rationale.

I think most are already convinced before they post the question regarding a GT350 vs any other option. I spent a few years in high pressure sales and I can 100% say you cannot convince someone to do something they are deeply against or cannot justify a means in their own mind.

I am jaded and biased because I made the choice with only a little shove in the right direction, albeit well before I found this forum as moral support when waiting on a car that nobody had taken delivery of. Sight unseen, no test drive, no small production nuances, etc.

To the OP, if this car does not satisfy your requirement, then I would suggest you make a list of what will, then go shopping. This is not the holy grail, it is just a domestic car with a blue oval and a nervous tick for more than the street can satisfy. But so can hours in the garage bolting on endless mods.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You should get a GT350.

Here is my story.

Owned German cars all my life. All M cars. Never believed domestic cars let alone a mustang. This car changed it all. And you know what I m doing soon? I am actually getting rid of my M5, my baby, the car I have dreamed about for many years, the car that I considered the perfect daily driver and I will drive the shelby on a daily basis. I got snow tires and everything. I went for a 2500 mile road trip with this car across country with my wife and daughter. I love this car so much that even after 15,000 miles I am making up excuses to my wife to go for a drive. Every single time I start it, it puts a smile on my wife. Every week I get on average 2-3 thumbs up.

I am giving up my M5 not because I cant keep both cars. No. This is not a compromise move. I am doing this because gt350 is THAT good. Since buying it, I dont ever find myself reaching for the keys of the M5.

Power? It has plenty. Torque? More than enough (in fact its way too much for an NA engine where and how much it makes torque). Sound? Out of this world. Nothing like it there. Handling? Superb. It is literally on rails. Comfort? Its actually dead on if not better than my m5 when on comfort mode. I'll tell you this, the trunk space between the two cars isnt even that far off. I was amazed to see that I can fit my giant beach umbrella in this car without putting the rear seat down.

I mean what else do you want? And all for less than the cost of majority of SUVs out there.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
btown93, sorry to bait you here but just making a point that speaks to the sort of culture that has a different point of view about special cars. Not a better point of view, just different. There is a reason why folks come here to test the waters. I believe it is more about some sort of justification to others than their own rationale.

I think most are already convinced before they post the question regarding a GT350 vs any other option. I spent a few years in high pressure sales and I can 100% say you cannot convince someone to do something they are deeply against or cannot justify a means in their own mind.

I am jaded and biased because I made the choice with only a little shove in the right direction, albeit well before I found this forum as moral support when waiting on a car that nobody had taken delivery of. Sight unseen, no test drive, no small production nuances, etc.

To the OP, if this car does not satisfy your requirement, then I would suggest you make a list of what will, then go shopping. This is not the holy grail, it is just a domestic car with a blue oval and a nervous tick for more than the street can satisfy. But so can hours in the garage bolting on endless mods.
I’m not sure I 100% follow what you mean. I was only pointing out that some of the arguments for the GT PP2 gave similar performance for less money, and while that may be true, the resale/residual value of the GTPP2 in theory would be far less than a GT350 based on previous SVT molders of any year. Whether or not it’s a culture thing or justification, I’m not sure about all that. So yes, you might be able to “buy” 80% of GT350 performance for 70% of the price, 3 years from now you might get 45% of your money back on a GTPP2, and 60% back on GT350.....if that makes sense with my made up percentages :cheers:

Sponsored

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
What I mean is nobody tracks or cares where a base car went. Sorry to be so long winded. The $ is not the same for everyone so I am trying to avoid pinning a dollar value to a decision. It is purely what ever achieves the satisfaction goal. Or this gets out of control with HP per dollar or what ever metric someone want to use.

I'll stop now, sorry if this got off track. I'm distracted watching the NL get their but kicked by the AL.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So you're saying the Shelby is better because it has 500 more RPM than the 2018?
You’d need to experience it to fully understand what he’s getting at.

Unlike most v8s - this car will throw you back in your seat if u wot at 6k - then when you upshift 2000rpm later it will break the back end loose and start the party again. That will occur from 1-2,2-3,3-4,4-5 —and it’ll be screaming like a wild banshee on red bull laced cocaine the whole time. You don’t get near that kind of top end with a GT. Check the dyno charts. By 7000rpm the 2017 GT is comparatively asleep torque wise. At 7000 rpm I’m still playing with gravity using my throttle.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
You’d need to experience it to fully understand what he’s getting at.

Unlike most v8s - this car will throw you back in your seat if u wot at 6k - then when you upshift 2000rpm later it will break the back end loose and start the party again. That will occur from 1-2,2-3,3-4,4-5 —and it’ll be screaming like a wild banshee on red bull laced cocaine the whole time. You don’t get near that kind of top end with a GT. Check the dyno charts. By 7000rpm the 2017 GT is comparatively asleep torque wise. At 7000 rpm I’m still playing with gravity using my throttle.
Kinda Poetic. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, trans am ws6, G80
How's the AC on the 350?
Sponsored