Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
For those curious, here is your actual Emissions warranty. Got the car back today. Sun State Ford had it 2 weeks. I'm out $2 grand for the Ford Performance Borla catback. While it sounds great, it didn't fix shit. Car is still rattling away. Pissed off doesn't begin to describe I am about the situation. Is there not a garbage Ford Dealership in the metro Orlando area?
image.png

OP
OP
Cypherious

Cypherious

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Oh and by the way, Ford Motor Company was a total fail. 5 Mustangs bought with the FoMoCo and after my experience this is my last. Time to go German.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Side note, I'm surprised you can't return the exhaust to them for falsely diagnosing the vehicle. Can we hear an audio clip? I'm just as frustrated and I'm not in your shoes. Hate that you're going through this. I'm wondering what could be going on. Sounds like its not the exhaust and maybe the engine/transmission. Could be as easy as something may be loose. Is it a certain RPM range?

OP
OP
Cypherious

Cypherious

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Side note, I'm surprised you can't return the exhaust to them for falsely diagnosing the vehicle. Can we hear an audio clip? I'm just as frustrated and I'm not in your shoes. Hate that you're going through this. I'm wondering what could be going on. Sounds like its not the exhaust and maybe the engine/transmission. Could be as easy as something may be loose. Is it a certain RPM range?
Higher the revs the louder the rattle. I personally think its the heat shield between the transmission and bell housing. I just drove up to North GA 600 miles and car ran great but was noisy as hell. Tomorrow I'm pulling out the creeper and jackstands & going to look for myself before heading to Deals Gap, NC on Sunday. Hopefully I find something.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
If it’s the cats, get a rubber mallet and give them a few whacks and listen to see if you hear things loose inside it. The cylinder block plate issue I had, when warmed up I got the metallic trash bag sound in the wind at 3800 to 4200 rpm. 19 and up have the updated part with rubber backing on the plate.

OP
OP
Cypherious

Cypherious

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
If it’s the cats, get a rubber mallet and give them a few whacks and listen to see if you hear things loose inside it. The cylinder block plate issue I had, when warmed up I got the metallic trash bag sound in the wind at 3800 to 4200 rpm. 19 and up have the updated part with rubber backing on the plate.
I'm assuming the trans needs to come out to get to it?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Sure does. Or get some dynamatt and place some of it on the exposed part of the plate. That works too.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Sure does. Or get some dynamatt and place some of it on the exposed part of the plate. That works too.
I don’t think he’s having THIS particular rattle. Wouldn’t he had it forever ago and noticed it? I just placed lead tape (Golfers tape) on mine to change the frequency and I can’t tell it’s there anymore.

I think something else is going on.

OP
OP
Cypherious

Cypherious

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Got under the car while up at my parents place in Blue Ridge & found the problem in a few seconds. It was the loose counter weight on the catalytic converter assembly. At Autozone now picking up a couple supplies and should have confirmation shortly.

Btw... does anyone know the torque spec for this bolt?

20200831_155344.jpg
20200831_154514.jpg

Last edited:

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Don't know if it has a torque spec. Guess you will be having a chat with that dealer?

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I looked through my shop manual and I wasn't able to find the specs for that piece. It had the cat removal/install, exhaust manifold removal/install (looked like a real pain!), but didn't mention the vibration damper. I figured it would have.

Maybe someone else with better manual searching skills will have better luck. Sorry.
Sponsored