Sponsored

GT MPG

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted to see if there was anything that explained how some get better mileage than others.
cruise control and 65mph or lower helps. I've also seen some put a house fan on top of the trunk and wire it up to the 12V and an inverter and use that to get extra push. Easy to do if you have a bike rack.

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
2017 GT Auto with Power Pack 2 using Shell V-Power (99 octane U.K. Spec) I get 32MPG on a 102 mile mostly motorway trip in D Mode with a light foot. If pushing it much harder on the same trip in S Mode, it drops to 26 MPG. The Power Pack increased the performance significantly but only dropped the fuel economy by 1 or 2 MPG. Iā€™m happy with that!

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I've got to know. Is it just me? Back on 2/14 a thread was posted "Anyone else fed up with consumers reports?" in it people started talking about their mileage around town. They were stating 16.5, 17, even 19. My 16 and 19 aren't that far apart in mileage for me. I get around town 12.5 to 13.5 respectively. Is my foot that heavy?
What I want is for you to tell me your mileage, usual drive mode and the area of the country your at. See if there is some sort of relationship with the demographics. After all here in SoCal we have to pay a premium for our gas because it is refined differently then the gas in other states, (or so they say). Are we being screwed here in CA? And if so, how does this help with the pollution if I'm burning more gas with the same vehicle then those in other states?
Here's my take on it. If you're near any major population areas in California, you're going to be idling in traffic much more than most other places in the country. That by itself is going to kill your "average" mpg numbers. I can take my 2016 GT on a road trip and easily get the displayed average mpg up into the 25 range but then enter a city, catch a little traffic and a few traffic lights and/or stop signs and that number drops like a rock. Let's face it, a V8 performance car isn't going to return great gas mileage in city traffic no matter how gentle you are with it, but to answer your question, you may well be a little more aggressive with the right foot than you need to be. Most of us are but really, what's the point of having a GT Mustang if you don't play with it every once in a while. Still, cruising down the highway, the Coyote engine can be amazingly efficient for what it is but it'll never be an economy car.

As for gas produced in California? I've heard the same thing. It's a different formulation, supposedly to assist with emissions, and that's why it's more expensive. Personally, I'm not totally convinced of that. It may be true to a certain point but I think the main reason Californian's pay through the arse for gasoline is because of your tax rates. You pay way more per gallon in taxes than most of the rest of us and until California citizens are willing to vote those idiots out of Sacramento that keep passing this sh*t, it's not going to get any better.

The mileage numbers I get on my 2016 GT aren't what I'd call normal because of where I live and how I drive the car. I'm on the south side of Houston but I'm far enough away to not be seriously effected by Houston's traffic issues most of the time. It's also flat as a pancake around here so hills and other such topological features that can effect gas mileage aren't an issue for me. Also, most of the time, I'm only driving it when I need to go somewhere. I don't use the Mustang for local errands like grocery shopping or going to the post office. I've got a Toyota for that. Consequently, my GT has a much higher percentage of highway driving on it than most and I'm beyond the point in my life where I'm feeling the need to shower down on the gas peddle off of every stop sign and red light. I bought my car used with about 6600 miles on it. Before I drove it off the lot, I reset trip 2 and haven't touched it again. Since then, I've but a little over 44k miles on the car and my overall average mpg to date is 23.1. That includes a couple of road trips, totaling about 5500 miles, that I've taken since I bought the car that averaged in the low 27's, and several other more local trips that easily averaged in the mid 25's. Most of the time, my "local" driving nets me in the mid 22's. I have gotten down into the 19's but that's been rare. I'm not saying I don't play with it from time to time but for the most part, I just drive it what I consider to be normal, just running the speed limit to speed limit plus 5 mph or so and keeping up with traffic.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
2019 A10 with 3.15. Typical combination of mostly around town and some expressway driving I get about 19. On the highway I can get anywhere from 24 to 29. The cruising speed makes a huge difference.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this on another thread, but I will add it in here too :

Iā€™m more interested in the ā€˜just over 19 mpgā€™ ...

Iā€™m just over 15 and thatā€™s a imperial gallon (so about 12.5 US mpg / 18.8 L per 100 km).

Only engine mod is a dry filter.

Whoā€™s closer to the norm here ? Do I need a right foot adjustment ... ?

WD :like:
Few things to note :
  • 2020 UK M6 GT (like PP1 but with 3.55's).
  • I didn't buy it for economy, I didn't buy it to cruise and I didn't buy it to commute (Although we are back working from home, I think it has only been in work three times in the four weeks we were in work and I have owned it - and only on a Friday as the car park is half empty ... lol).
  • It doesn't sit in traffic.
  • It rarely sees motorway usage, I think it's only been on it once and only for one junction - but it frequently exceeds motorway speeds ...
  • I don't think it's been in sixth yet - it's current driving style doesn't require it.
  • I default to sport+ and track exhaust - I bought it to enjoy it.
  • I haven't chased economy and I haven't double checked what the mpg value is telling me.
WD :like:

spiritrider1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
White 2020 GT Convertible
2 months of use and just over 1000 miles on a 2020 GT 10sp Auto, 3.15 rear, mostly in normal mode with active exhaust in normal. Driving rural / highway mix we've gotten around 22-24 mpg. But I can tell that if we were to stay on the highway at 70-80 mph we were getting 24-28mpg.
It HUGELY depends on hills, and stop-go traffic. Basically, anything that forces you to put your right food down! This baby, in town, lots of stops, & hilly roads, drops down to the 12-14mpg range!
So, I think Ford's EPA numbers are actually pretty darn close! My sticker shows 15 City 24 Highway 18 combined. I'd say that's almost spot on what we're getting.
Let's give it a few thousand miles and loosen up to see what it improves to.

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've got to know. Is it just me? Back on 2/14 a thread was posted "Anyone else fed up with consumers reports?" in it people started talking about their mileage around town. They were stating 16.5, 17, even 19. My 16 and 19 aren't that far apart in mileage for me. I get around town 12.5 to 13.5 respectively. Is my foot that heavy?
What I want is for you to tell me your mileage, usual drive mode and the area of the country your at. See if there is some sort of relationship with the demographics. After all here in SoCal we have to pay a premium for our gas because it is refined differently then the gas in other states, (or so they say). Are we being screwed here in CA? And if so, how does this help with the pollution if I'm burning more gas with the same vehicle then those in other states?
I don't know where how they get their MPG but I am no where near that. I get 12-14 MPG when driving city. If I do some expressway driving I might be able to get up to 15. I am in CA were we have 91 octane. Car is a 2020 GT premium with a manual. I would say I drive normal but spirited. I would really have to baby the car to get any more MPG. I am talking being passed by everyone including school buses.

Sponsored

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Highway (assuming I'm not doing 85MPH) 26-28MPG
Around town 17-20 MPG

petronix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1972 Vette, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T, 2000 Miata, 2017 Escape
2019 Bullitt. I get 14 to 24 driving 50 to 90 mph averages. Speed limits here in FL are generally 45 to 70. I drive it like a Mustang, not an economy car. I only averaged about 1 or 2 mpg better in my Cadillac ATS 2.0 turbo. I averaged 14 to 22 in both of my 5 speed 2000/2002 Mustang GTs, so surprisingly a happy improvement.

awhitegt86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
2020 premium A10, 3:55 torsen, I get 20-21 daily. 50-50 split between highway and city on my 14 mile commute to a busy west Cleveland suburb. When it was a month old I drove it to Arkansas and on the way back in hilly Missouri it got the above with two of us and luggage. Cruise set at 72 mph.
It gets the same mileage that my awd 18 Fusion Sport got, with glimpses of 32 mpg going 80 or so on Indiana I-70.
PXL_20201212_194002456.jpg

circatee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Circatee
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT Premium Fastback
Prior to Covid19, and when I had a Mustang GT, I was getting 21.5 MPG.
I drove 13 miles one way, to work. I worked in Windy Hill, Atlanta. But, I left for work very early, so, avoided the dreaded Atlanta traffic. And, in the evenings, on the way home, I took an Express lane (for 10 miles). The engine loved that part of the day - LOL

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Mustang GT Premium/'13 Ford Focus ST ST3
Vehicle Showcase
2018 GT with Ford Performance PP2 calibration, 93 octane. I do all my driving around town, no highway. I get 17mpg usually, but I also don't drive economically at all.
Sponsored