GT 500 and Quick Jack

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Instead of the quick Jack set up who here has an actual hydraulic lift maybe a junior version of what the pros use when you go to take your car into the shop? Imagine that this is a little bit more expensive but wouldn’t it solve a lot of the headaches and also allow you to actually stand under the car to make life a lot easier?
I'm looking at doing a 4-post lift. Can use it to store 2 cars when needed, and with rolling bridge jack, can still lift the wheels off the ramps for tire/brake work. More expensive than a quick jack, but serves 2 different purposes. Of course, you have to have the ceiling height for it.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Happy to see QJ owners that like them, but I tried them out and could not see the benefit over 4 good jackstands and a low profile floor jack. I ended up returning the QJ (thank you Costco return policy).

They are heavy AF and take up floor space. Yeah you can just leave them under the car and drive over but it's not ideal. The wall hook storage is pretty funny, I'm not exactly a small guy and the idea of lifting those overhead to hang on a wall hook every time you want to use them is just asking for a back injury. They are not light.

I could never get them to consistently lift both sides, even after multiple rounds of bleeding them. And there's the basic design of the QJ locking mechanism; I'm skeptical about crawling under a 4200lb car with a small piece of spot-welded steel to keep the ramps locked in position. The one small bolt that holds the locking arm to the ramp is also something I didn't like. My first attempt at lifting the 500 was scary at best, the ramps shifted and lifted the car unevenly. Every time you use them is a constant back and forth on each side to see that they are lined up *just* right on the pinch welds. I tried both the pinch weld blocks and normal blocks on jacking rails, it's still a PITA to get lined up perfectly parallel on both sides.

Contrast to this, which is 100% solid and takes about 5 min to get the car up:

P21zsC1.jpg

Anyhow, that's just my experience trying to give the Quickjack an honest try. I found they were not what I was looking for. As of now I've got a Bendpak hd-7w on order, and one of their (too expensive) low profile bridge jacks as a compromise for wheel/suspension work.

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
As of now I've got a Bendpak hd-7w on order, and one of their (too expensive) low profile bridge jacks as a compromise for wheel/suspension work.
Exactly. :thumbsup:

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
Happy to see QJ owners that like them, but I tried them out and could not see the benefit over 4 good jackstands and a low profile floor jack. I ended up returning the QJ (thank you Costco return policy).

They are heavy AF and take up floor space. Yeah you can just leave them under the car and drive over but it's not ideal. The wall hook storage is pretty funny, I'm not exactly a small guy and the idea of lifting those overhead to hang on a wall hook every time you want to use them is just asking for a back injury. They are not light.

I could never get them to consistently lift both sides, even after multiple rounds of bleeding them. And there's the basic design of the QJ locking mechanism; I'm skeptical about crawling under a 4200lb car with a small piece of spot-welded steel to keep the ramps locked in position. The one small bolt that holds the locking arm to the ramp is also something I didn't like. My first attempt at lifting the 500 was scary at best, the ramps shifted and lifted the car unevenly. Every time you use them is a constant back and forth on each side to see that they are lined up *just* right on the pinch welds. I tried both the pinch weld blocks and normal blocks on jacking rails, it's still a PITA to get lined up perfectly parallel on both sides.

Contrast to this, which is 100% solid and takes about 5 min to get the car up:

Anyhow, that's just my experience trying to give the Quickjack an honest try. I found they were not what I was looking for. As of now I've got a Bendpak hd-7w on order, and one of their (too expensive) low profile bridge jacks as a compromise for wheel/suspension work.
I'm sorry to say, but by your accounts you played yourself.. I only say the following not to be a wannabe corporate shill but in hopes to save someone else your pain and suffering. Also, I'm not trying to attack you but your experience is easily corrected IMO.

The weight thing is obviously subjective but I don't know anyone lifting those over their head? Most folks put the hooks just slightly lower than where the top is when a lift side is fully pressed against the wall. By doing so as the bottom comes away from the wall a bit but you don't lift at all and the top falls in to the hook.. So you lean against the wall and as you push the bottom against it raises above the hook.. You allow the wheels to roll the bottom out and the top falls in to the hook. Job done.

1639426724918.png

"never get them to consistently lift both sides" and
" My first attempt at lifting the 500 was scary at best, the ramps shifted and lifted the car unevenly" r - You never bled them correctly. Period. The instructions clearly describe your encounter.. They also explain not to fully extend the first time as to allow them to settle. Quick up and downs if I recall help speed up that initial bleed.

"basic design of the QJ locking mechanism" - You're forgetting the pressure in the system.. The thick steel blocks are welded on all sides inside of a u-channel of.. steel. Those steel blocks are the secondary safety mechanism. Not to forget there are 2 on of them inside each side. Have you heard of a QJ failing? I haven't but I'd like to read about it.. Either way, just keep a few jack stands for peace of mind.

"I tried both the pinch weld blocks and normal blocks on jacking rails, it's still a PITA to get lined up perfectly parallel on both sides." - Literally place them on the ends inside the designated boxes and you're good to go.. I have no idea how this could be complicated? The blocks in either direction a far wider than jacking rail. Unsure on which QJ you had but the properly sized ones line up really well length wise.. They used to use an S550 on the box and in some of their marketing.

"Contrast to this, which is 100% solid and takes about 5 min to get the car up" - I mean, this quote is the QJ in a nutshell.. Even less time and far less effort.

Bendpak hd-7w - I think you self sabotaged to get yourself that nice lift, we're on to you :wink:.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm sorry to say, but by your accounts you played yourself..
Bendpak hd-7w - I think you self sabotaged to get yourself that nice lift, we're on to you :wink:.
I agree, always work smarter not harder including when your putting them away. Anyhow, for kicks... here's a cool video showing the 5000SLX being used beyond what's its rated for.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I'm sorry to say, but by your accounts you played yourself
Just offering my experience with this particular tool. I found that, for my needs, it was lacking at best, for the reasons I stated. I get it, you like your Quickjack, it works for you, thats great!

For me, I found it heavy, took up too much space when not in use, clumsy to setup, frustrating to bleed 3-4 times (all following the steps carefully as spelled out in the setup manual) and still have it lift unevenly, and once the car was up, kind of sketch to crawl under with a heavy ass GT500 overhead and have to rely on some spot welds and 2 bolts. Then there's the ongoing maintenance checks: does it have enough air, are any of the hoses/seals leaking, is it topped up with fluid, does it need to be bled again.

It's the internet, YMMV with any of this stuff. Anyone that uses one happily thats great for them.

This setup does the same thing and (for me) is easier to use:

LZvKv3x.jpg

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I looked at the Quick Jack but decided I wanted something that would lift the car a little higher. I did not want a permanently installed lift, so I went with this.

lift01.jpg

lift02.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I looked at the Quick Jack but decided I wanted something that would lift the car a little higher. I did not want a permanently installed lift, so I went with this.
oh wow, details please! That thing looks rad. How stable is it without being bolted down?

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
oh wow, details please! That thing looks rad. How stable is it without being bolted down?
It's extremely stable, is rated at 6000 pounds, and I keep it against the wall with the base sticking out so that I have to drive over the base with one tire when I park in the garage. I use two underhoist jack stands on the outboard side to minimize the slight sway that I get when I am wrenching on the car. It eliminates it altogether, though it's not necessary. My wife parks her car in the garage and did not want any posts, so this was a compromise.

OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Instead of the quick Jack set up who here has an actual hydraulic lift maybe a junior version of what the pros use when you go to take your car into the shop? Imagine that this is a little bit more expensive but wouldn’t it solve a lot of the headaches and also allow you to actually stand under the car to make life a lot easier?
I almost got a two post lift but I could’ve only gotten a mid rise lift because of my garage ceiling height. Also, I did not want permanently installed posts. It would just take up too much room for me so the quick Jack was the best option.

Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
The one post is awesome. But how high does is sit off the ground? I’m not sure my car would fit over that

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
The one post is awesome. But how high does is sit off the ground? I’m not sure my car would fit over that
I'll measure the height of the pads when it's lowered all the way when I get home. I think it's about 4".

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
Just offering my experience with this particular tool. I found that, for my needs, it was lacking at best, for the reasons I stated. I get it, you like your Quickjack, it works for you, thats great!

For me, I found it heavy, took up too much space when not in use, clumsy to setup, frustrating to bleed 3-4 times (all following the steps carefully as spelled out in the setup manual) and still have it lift unevenly, and once the car was up, kind of sketch to crawl under with a heavy ass GT500 overhead and have to rely on some spot welds and 2 bolts. Then there's the ongoing maintenance checks: does it have enough air, are any of the hoses/seals leaking, is it topped up with fluid, does it need to be bled again.

It's the internet, YMMV with any of this stuff. Anyone that uses one happily thats great for them.

This setup does the same thing and (for me) is easier to use:

LZvKv3x.jpg
It's not about me, it's that the QJ never had a chance with you because you didn't follow the directions. Then you're just picking things apart after.. We have have opinions and you're entitled to one too.. But your game was rigged.

Weight, it has wheels. Size? It takes up something like a third of the space in the photo you just posted. Really poor example on your part. Bleeding the system? You do it once (correctly) and you're done.. I've had mine for years now.

Then you keep misdescribing the locking mechanism, now we're down to "some spot welds and 2 bolts".. Not even close. Square steel stock

"ongoing maintenance checks" - Does it have enough air? 🤣 What? I don't even know if we're talking about the same thing at this point.

A buddy has one of those at a wheel and tire shop, really sick unit given your desired portability.

36382mm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500
Love my Max Jax
Resized_20210430_183321.jpeg

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I'll measure the height of the pads when it's lowered all the way when I get home. I think it's about 4".
It's just under 4.5" when it's lowered all the way down.
Sponsored