Sponsored

GoPro Mount for Track Day

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Recaros being awkward for camera mounts (not impossible, but awkward), I've just gone to over the shoulder outside the window camera positions, and I've come to prefer them.

Its biased to one side of the car, but you have a wide unobstructed view on that side of the car.

I really like seeing the driver's head in view in addition to your hands, as well as exactly how close you're getting to the cones or track edge. You can also see the left knee and can tell when the driver is clutching from that.

Another bonus for out of the car view, is the camera stabilization tends to track your path through the world not just the car, so its actually easier to see slip angles.

The only thing I can't see that I'd really rather see is the shift knob and the oil pressure gauge.

Mounting is easy with a high quality RAM suction cup on the side window.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I like your effort, but I think you should have mounted it to the driver seat instead. Having a rigid-ish bar aimed at my helmet doesn't sound like a good thing, and I suspect there will be track tech inspectors who feel the same way. There's no telling where your head is going to bounce around to in a track day "incident" of any seriousness, but with a driver seat mount you're not nearly as likely to get speared by it.

Norm
In all fairness, mine isn't aimed at my helmet as much as it is my neck.

OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Finally got a day to test my GoPro setup. As Norm noted, the exposure setting makes the outside too bright so I will use the spot meter set for the windshield area. The wide view is too wide, linear or narrow would be better. The mount is good, no shaking or vibration at all and the viewpoint is right where I wanted it
exit.jpg
! :)

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Finally got a day to test my GoPro setup. As Norm noted, the exposure setting makes the outside too bright so I will use the spot meter set for the windshield area. The wide view is too wide, linear or narrow would be better. The mount is good, no shaking or vibration at all and the viewpoint is right where I wanted it
exit.jpg
! :)
I like that view. It's a little wide, like you say, but it's not bad. If that's in 1080 mode, try it in 720. This doesn't change pixel density, just the total number of pixels. It does this by shrinking the size of the window.

I always like having the driver's hands in view. Without, it's really tough to determine anything about the handling of the car.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
I researched this for a while! I don’t think one of our local tracks allows cameras outside the vehicle, so I resorted to 2 inside. The first one, just a secure, very simple and functional cell phone front window mount, in which I could run a Track-App, while recording video. Since I don’t use my cell phone while on track, this worked perfect while also logging track data and serving as a recording device.
The 2nd video recording device is a GoPro Hero8 Silver ($200?) in a mount I got on Amazon that’s mounted to the passenger headrest, and adjustable. A video of each is below. They both worked very well. Unfortunately, I went through a few different mount options that didn’t work and wasted some time figuring that out.

Here’s the headrest GoPro Amazon mount in action

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C7A9IOK/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the front windshield mount (suction cup, no permanent sticky decal) for a cell phone in action

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CO3HCUM/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
04FA68A6-98EE-42E7-A2A6-2DD7217D093D.jpeg
C6C5E83A-DDF9-485A-BCB9-4D4C1845F3E8.jpeg

19EE183C-B64C-490A-8E87-49913CD6F74B.jpeg
D872E068-3115-4F1A-BAD1-BE2B3AC7BCBD.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The GoPro mount worked well. On a humid 90 degree day the seat cooler worked well too! ;)
daytona1.jpg

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Since I have Recaros, I've been using a Ram windshield mount for my Hero5. Have thought about the drivers side exterior quarter glass, but worry about mount deciding to lose suction at the wrong time. Plus that's where I usually run my number. Just eBayed a second Hero5 and bought another Ram mount. May install on far passenger side windshield aimed at driver. we will see on the 11/12 of next month

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black

seabee133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush RS3 Twister Orange

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a picture of how you have that mounted? thats a great view and id love to find a way to set up my go pro that way.
I will share this evening.. Mounted to the Center ZL1 Addons tow hook.

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Fabricated a piece of Aluminum plate, mounted to Tow Hook, secured by the lock nut. A couple of Amazon GoPro accessories.

Result is a nice rigid camera mount.
74426DD7-FD26-4A39-92BE-3237764593E1.jpeg
3BF40AE5-2A30-4F8C-97FA-9A3CF1F09F11.jpeg
5229CC35-4DEB-4B6D-BF6D-528459918B6A.jpeg
9A4D6361-27AE-47FB-99C0-C7ABD3D6E68A.jpeg

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I've been chasing an in-car setup that allows me to see my hands and also get a decent shot of the course. It's a lot easier if you have a convertible or no windshield but for the Mustang this is what I've come up with.

I try to get the camera lens at about the same plane as my eyes, so it's forward of the head rest quite a bit. It's a bit wobbly being cantilevered that far out but the Hero8 does a decent job of smoothing some of that out. I've hit it with the helmet once or twice by accident when messing around before or after a run but never during a run.
1633608942643.png

1633608974649.png

The arm is made by Tackform and I got it from Amazon. It only takes a couple of minutes to setup or remove. I leave the base clamped to the headrest post and pull one of the pivot thumbscrew/bolts to remove it. I did get one additional link from Tackform directly to get the extra length and then one of the brackets in the previous message to give a little extra length and adjustment at the end.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XIB6SK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.tackform.com/collection...h-25mm/products/enduro-95mm-modular-extension

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I do a helmet/visor mount. as close to p.o.v. as you can get.
Not a fan of something that can come loose or break if the worst happens, and is a tube/stick .

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red

first session trying out an external mic mounted next to the gopro (headrest). I do have a wind sock on my mic but it appears to get a lot of wind noise with the windows down. although that corvette seems to come thru very clearly. i might have to play around with mic locations with the windows down

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Do you have a picture of how you have that mounted? thats a great view and id love to find a way to set up my go pro that way.
BTW love your Roush in Twister Orange. I'm finally getting my GT in TO in about 2 weeks.
Sponsored