GoPro Mount for Track Day

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I looked for something like this but found nothing so here is mine.

I want a GoPro mount for a track day, one that will record from close to my point of view. A headrest mount seemed like the best way to go but they are either $$$, look flimsy, not available, or had too many bad reviews. I didn't want to spend a lot since the track day will probably be a one time thing. It's DIY time!

Measuring the Mustang headrest posts: 13 mm diameter, 149.72 mm centers (probably 150). Plastic seems like a better choice than metal (for something right behind my head) just in case something goes wrong. PVC is one of the stiffest plastics readily available and is inexpensive. A 1" bar 4' long was about $15. ***After making this I saw a DIY on a BMW page with a similar mount made of PVC tubing. Probably works ok but mine looks better. ;)

Milling two slots 1/2" diameter, 13 mm deep, 149.72 mm apart made it fit nicely on the posts. To secure the bar I drilled four 1/4" holes 19.05 mm from the 1/2" cutouts and used four 1/4-20 nylon screws backed up with 3/4 square PVC bar. Total cost less than $20, never mind the cost of the milling machine!

*The backing plates did not look as good as I wanted and took too much machining time so I redesigned them for 3D printing in PETG.

The setup is not completely rigid but the GoPro Hero 8 filters out vibration from my mountain bike on a rough dirt road so it should give a smooth video in my Mustang.

On to road testing!

mustang_gopro_1.jpg

mustang_gopro_2.jpg

mustang_gopro_bar.jpg

mustang_gopro_bar_1.jpg

mustang_gopro_clamp.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Nicely done!

I went with 3/4" square tubing and u-clamps lol.

C3BBBF38-4155-477E-89F2-2E320C9C09CC.jpeg

Last edited:

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Nicely done!

Mine is very similar, it just comes from the passenger seat.

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The two headrest posts are one piece of metal, so the products that clamp to one post work pretty well. I use this one and my GoPro hero5 with stabilization off produces clear videos.

Example:

(I mount the GoPro externally if no rain)

171FDC8A-3FE0-4DAC-92BB-994310C94CCB.png

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have the same one as Danapants above - haven't really used as I don't like that point of view but it wasn't really difficult to find two years ago...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I looked for something like this but found nothing so here is mine.

I want a GoPro mount for a track day, one that will record from close to my point of view. A headrest mount seemed like the best way to go but they are either $$$, look flimsy, not available, or had too many bad reviews. I didn't want to spend a lot since the track day will probably be a one time thing. It's DIY time!
I like your effort, but I think you should have mounted it to the driver seat instead. Having a rigid-ish bar aimed at my helmet doesn't sound like a good thing, and I suspect there will be track tech inspectors who feel the same way. There's no telling where your head is going to bounce around to in a track day "incident" of any seriousness, but with a driver seat mount you're not nearly as likely to get speared by it.

Norm

Last edited:
OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Nicely done!

Looks good! But when you have a mill and a 3D printer everything looks like it should be milled and 3D printed. ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Less hassle, but no view of what the driver's hands and feet are doing.

Side note - headrest mounting tends to end up showing the interior in focus and the track view out the windshield washed out to the point of near-uselessness. Using the spot metering setting as opposed to either center-weighted or average may help.

Norm

Sponsored
OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

Side note - headrest mounting tends to end up showing the interior in focus and the track view out the windshield washed out to the point of near-uselessness. Using the spot metering setting as opposed to either center-weighted or average may help.

Norm
Thanks for the tip! I plan to test the setup if it ever stops raining.

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Looks good! But when you have a mill and a 3D printer everything looks like it should be milled and 3D printed. ;)
oh, absolutely agree :D

Very nice, clean design you got there.

-

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow

Norm
spot metering is an absolute must when using a camera in this interior position.

OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I like your effort, but I think you should have mounted it to the driver seat instead. Having a rigid-ish bar aimed at my helmet doesn't sound like a good thing, and I suspect there will be track tech inspectors who feel the same way. There's no telling where your head is going to bounce around to in a track day "incident" of any seriousness, but with a driver seat mount you're not nearly as likely to get speared by it.

Norm
Sounds like a good idea and easy enough to move it to the driver's seat.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If anyone is interested, I do have this available for purchase. I paid a little over $200.
https://www.headrestmount.co.uk/

Yes other products are available but I wanted reassurance it wasn't going to fail and that it didn't shake. Otherwise, I would have opted for a $60 option. Here's it in action. PS: I disable all GoPro stabilization settings.

1625757682003.png
Sponsored