Getting Tired - Spare Me

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Some pics of the Automotive Authority spare kit.
As shipped....
3D5DA7FA-067F-4A83-89C8-E22DA50A79D3.jpeg

had some firewall insulation for it to set on...
52A07E12-14BF-4B94-B86B-85159329D88D.jpeg

Collapsed the jack to wedge under the wheel .....
0C8B3CB5-4293-429A-99E1-3E06E5ED5AFD.jpeg
Sponsored

paulb351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT,Everest,FocusRS,MustangMach1
Has anyone addressed the lack of a spare tire on the Mach1? I know that's pretty much the way most cars are sold today, but I would rather have a real tire than squirting some spoo into a flat tire to "repair it". Also, since the tires on the front and back don't match, how do you factor that into a real spare tire?
There are plenty of suppliers with space saver kits including wheel & tire, felt mat, screwdown fitting and jack with brace, no need for spacers and uses factory lug nuts. Two versions out there, one for fitting upto GT spec and then other that works on models with big brake package fitted. I have a 21 Mach 1 with GT350R brake package upgrade and have a space saver that fits (and works) as 4 weeks after I got it a roofer or plumber decided to drop a box of roofing screws on road tunnel and I copped one in the tread of the rear tyre along with about 8 other vehicles.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I have the Automotive Authority wheel for my Mustang, a Modern kit for our other car, both appear to be high quality. The other car has run-flats, very useful at max 50 mph when you are on an interstate - NOT.

As for AAA, I was on my bicycle and saw a lady with a flat. After a 45 minute ride she was still there so I stopped and she said AAA told her they be there soon. I rode home, put a floor jack and battery impact wrench on my car, drove back and changed her tire (after seeing the tools she remarked "looks like you have done this before". ;) AAA never showed up in all that time. She was delivering groceries and one of the neighbors let her put the frozen stuff in their freezer, friendly neighborhood!

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
d
There are plenty of suppliers with space saver kits including wheel & tire, felt mat, screwdown fitting and jack with brace, no need for spacers and uses factory lug nuts. Two versions out there, one for fitting upto GT spec and then other that works on models with big brake package fitted. I have a 21 Mach 1 with GT350R brake package upgrade and have a space saver that fits (and works) as 4 weeks after I got it a roofer or plumber decided to drop a box of roofing screws on road tunnel and I copped one in the tread of the rear tyre along with about 8 other vehicles.
Do you have a link to the space saver for the 19 inch wheels with big brakes?

Sponsored

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Went with the spare kit as well for peace of mind. Was on a cruise a few years ago where one owner lost a rear tire that couldn’t be repaired. Cost him $600+ in tow charge as we were 100 miles from home, and local tire shop didn’t have these wide tires n stock.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I have the Automotive Authority wheel for my Mustang, a Modern kit for our other car, both appear to be high quality. The other car has run-flats, very useful at max 50 mph when you are on an interstate - NOT.

As for AAA, I was on my bicycle and saw a lady with a flat. After a 45 minute ride she was still there so I stopped and she said AAA told her they be there soon. I rode home, put a floor jack and battery impact wrench on my car, drove back and changed her tire (after seeing the tools she remarked "looks like you have done this before". ;) AAA never showed up in all that time. She was delivering groceries and one of the neighbors let her put the frozen stuff in their freezer, friendly neighborhood!
Is the tire rated for a certain amount of miles like a space saver?

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't see any distance limit written on the tyre or in the manual. Just that speed shouldn't exceed 50 mph (80 km/h) iirc.

Last edited:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Modern is rated M, 81 mph. No distance limit is given. I will have to check the AA tire.

Sponsored

JG M1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1965 Unique Cobra Replicar
I don't have the AA spare yet, but they were using a Continental Tire 155/70/19, 60 PSI and 50MPH
max. speed. I plan on getting it. I'm not sure if the current set up is using that tire.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the AA spare yet, but they were using a Continental Tire 155/70/19, 60 PSI and 50MPH
max. speed. I plan on getting it. I'm not sure if the current set up is using that tire.
Mine that arrived in spring has Kumho 131 Spare Tire T 135/70 R19. Googled it up back then because that is very unusual size 😁
https://www.vividracing.com/kumho-131-spare-tire-13570-r19-105m-bsw-p-153154374.html

Spec says: Tire Speed Rating: Up to 81 mph
But the description also says "but the spare should not be driven faster than 50 MPH".

paulb351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT,Everest,FocusRS,MustangMach1
d

Do you have a link to the space saver for the 19 inch wheels with big brakes?
I purchased mine from Herrod Performance in Melbourne Australia as I'm in AUS, so not much use to you in US! Just look at the usual suspects stateside selling them and ask them the question re: fitment for GT350R.

Kootnak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, Ranger Raptor
There are plenty of suppliers with space saver kits including wheel & tire, felt
Hey mate, where did you get the GT350R brake package from and what rims are you using. I'm thinking of going the same way.
Sponsored