Get a actual spare tire..

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I was doing 80 on RT50 today, hit something and right front tire deflated in about 8 seconds..pulled over and tried the goo pump the car came with....it was useless. Too big a hole or cut. So called Ford roadside and they sent a flatbed as I requested within an hour and off to drop it off at dealer for new tires. Had I had an actual spare I would have been home out of the 96 degree heat...so I do recommend getting the spare tire kit.
Sponsored

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Great Info, best 500 bucks I ever spent on the AA spare. The Tire Sealants a joke, and the roadside is great if you have coverage.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A real spare was the first mod
I made to my baby and sure it adds some weight but the piece of mind is worth it.
Pretty much my first mod too. I got a 2020 Explorer spare for cheap on Ebay. Doesn't clear front brakes, but doing the wheel swaparoo is still better than being stranded IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DCShelby

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Lucky I had good cell coverage and they were there within an hour. Still ruined my Sunday afternoon. I’ve never had a tire go down that fast before. Two minutes after I pulled over another car got a flat too, he pulled over about 100 feet in front of me. It was a flatbed truck and he let me drive it up the ramp and down off it. So no damage to splitter or bumper.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
I agree, had an S197 in 2012 and split a sidewall during August in Alabama and if not had a spare I would have sat for hours in the heat.
I was able to source a spare that was very close to the diameter and still almost fit in the well. It was not a perfect well fit but worked when I needed it and only took it on trips. I will not take a trip without a spare. You may never need it but if you do it can save hours and money if you have to buy another tire "right now". If I decide to buy another Mustang it will be my first mod !

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Agreed.

I got stranded on a blistering hot Sunday afternoon once with no spare and a useless inflator kit. Never again.
blowout2.jpg

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
First thing I did when I took delivery was head to the parts dept. and order a spare tire. I'm planning on selling/trading in soon for a 2021 GT and I'm taking the spare tire with me and putting that useless pump back in trunk. To be honest, it really belongs in dumpster.

Black Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
About 3 months ago, I had a blowout on I75. By the time I got to the next exit ramp (about 1/4 mile), and got off the exit, the tire was down to 5 lbs. of air. After 2 tows, I finally got it to the nearest Ford dealership (about 8 miles) Thank goodness the original tire was still under warranty. After that experience, I ordered a spare from a Ford dealership in Ann Arbor MI. Unfortunately, it took about 2 months to received due to a back order. You would think that a vehicle like a Mustang would come with a spare. I paid $200.00 for the spare. A spare from a vendor shouldn't cost Ford no more than $100.00. Please Ford, no more air pump with fix-a-flat. Customers deserve better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Please Ford, no more air pump with fix-a-flat. Customers deserve better.
We can thank our government for their Draconian CAFE standards.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
In the 4 years owning this car I have had 3 flats. Luckily with 2 of them I was able to get to a tire store before they were completely flat. The third one I had the AA spare. Worked like a charm and totally worth the piece of mind having an actual spare gives me.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Great Info, best 500 bucks I ever spent on the AA spare. The Tire Sealants a joke, and the roadside is great if you have coverage.

Dittos, the only way to fly ....... even better than roadside no waiting ....

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
All of these flats usually occur on weekend drives which is when the tire stores and dealers are all closed up. And many times the tires are not in stock so more time is shot trying to get back on the road. I ordered the Ford factory spare from the factory which is so worth it for peace of mind.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I would be curious if that inflation kit has actually ever helped anyone? I see it as useless. its for pumping upa tire that can hold air or to seal up maybe a nail hole after you remove the nail. but for anything road side it is totally useless. any tire issue i have ever had on the side of the road there is no way in hell that kit is doing anything. it truly is a useless item. I agree with getting a spare. with spare 10 ins back on road with out... your day is shot maybe even 3 days depending on day of week. between tows, shops closed, not having tire size.... yeah get a spare.
Sponsored