Sponsored

Spare Tire option

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok - seems like most new cars today don't get a spare tire anymore as a "freebie"... lol! IMO, the compressor feature is nice, but it's def not gonna help with a true blow out that cannot be salvaged.

So, who has opted to get the spare tire equipped with their S550 and exactly what comes with that option (jack too?)?

Or who has replaced the compressor with a spare purchased offline from another source?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've had several tire punctures in the last few years with newer Fords and without exception the TPMS warned me of low pressure with plenty of time to make it to a shop or to refill the tire with air temporarily until I could fix it.

I've been driving for well over 30 years and never had this "true blow out" that you speak of. Every flat I've ever had always was a slow leak. Some were not repairable, but they still didn't leave me stranded.

I realize it's a change in your way of thinking, but I would recommend to anyone to go without a spare. If you have a "true blow out", use your cell phone to call a tow truck. Much safer than changing a tire at the side of the road, especially if the rear blows and you have to swap tires twice.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
I've been driving for well over 30 years and never had this "true blow out" that you speak of. Every flat I've ever had always was a slow leak. Some were not repairable, but they still didn't leave me stranded.
Unless you are on tv, then every flat is a blow out :D

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
I ordered it, I just like knowing I have it and it's pretty cheap. Also a little extra weight buts but its a trial amount, at least its weight over the rear axle

duhameister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT- 50 Year
You can buy mine, because it will never have a spare tire mounted. AAA RV plus takes care of that.

Sponsored

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
I....

Ok - seems like most new cars today don't get a spare tire anymore as a "freebie"... lol! IMO, the compressor feature is nice, but it's def not gonna help with a true blow out that cannot be salvaged.

So, who has opted to get the spare tire equipped with their S550 and exactly what comes with that option (jack too?)?

Or who has replaced the compressor with a spare purchased offline from another source?
I also ordered the spare tire with my 2015 GT and I'm sure glad I did on are trip to the west coast, because if I did have a flat I could change it, I have seen a lot of cars along the highway with a flat tire, in all my years traveling, and no spare tire.....

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Yes...

You can buy mine, because it will never have a spare tire mounted. AAA RV plus takes care of that.
Yes you can always call AAA or RV plus, but I have been in places were there is no phone service, so now wait on AAA...... Ha! :cheers:

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I've had several tire punctures in the last few years with newer Fords and without exception the TPMS warned me of low pressure with plenty of time to make it to a shop or to refill the tire with air temporarily until I could fix it.

I realize it's a change in your way of thinking, but I would recommend to anyone to go without a spare. If you have a "true blow out", use your cell phone to call a tow truck. Much safer than changing a tire at the side of the road, especially if the rear blows and you have to swap tires twice.
I would have to agree with Hack, been driving for 40+ years now & never had a blowout. I'm sure it can happen, but the odds are tiny & you're more likely to find a fresh set of underwear & pants more useful if it does happen :D

I've only had a spare hit the ground 2x in the last 30 years & both times it was because I was in a suit for work & I called for RA to come do it anyway. I've had loads of slow leaks due to nails (and even a HUGE bolt in a truck tire) and always made it to a tire place to get them repaired without having to mess with the spare or can of goo.

If you get a real spare make sure you check the pressure at least 2x a year. With the can of goo, be sure to replace it when it expires (4 years I believe).

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I...

I would have to agree with Hack, been driving for 40+ years now & never had a blowout. I'm sure it can happen, but the odds are tiny & you're more likely to find a fresh set of underwear & pants more useful if it does happen :D

I've only had a spare hit the ground 2x in the last 30 years & both times it was because I was in a suit for work & I called for RA to come do it anyway. I've had loads of slow leaks due to nails (and even a HUGE bolt in a truck tire) and always made it to a tire place to get them repaired without having to mess with the spare or can of goo.

If you get a real spare make sure you check the pressure at least 2x a year. With the can of goo, be sure to replace it when it expires (4 years I believe).
I can go along with what your saying, but you are in central Florida, but what I'm talking about is like when we were in the four corners, and others places out there, now you do not make to a tire place to get it replaced, and other parts of that country, and some times no phone also..... :cheers: John

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I got the spare. Came with the jack kit and everything.

I have had several blow outs over the years, yes, the catastrophic kind. One of them happened while driving through the desert to Las Vegas. If you want to depend on being able to get a tow truck that's fine, but I don't like the idea of going anywhere without being able to get myself back on the road.

Maybe I'm just a little too Mad Max for this pre-apocalyptic world.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I originally ordered without, then thought better of it and got the spare tire. I have had tires fail catastrophically, more than once. All it takes is a cut sidewall. If that happens out of cell service, AAA is no help.

The spare option gets you a temp-a-spare and a jack. Enough to make all the difference when you need it. I guess the spare won't clear the Brembos, but that's not a problem for me. I decided it was $120 of really cheap insurance.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I got the spare. Came with the jack kit and everything.

I have had several blow outs over the years, yes, the catastrophic kind. One of them happened while driving through the desert to Las Vegas. If you want to depend on being able to get a tow truck that's fine, but I don't like the idea of going anywhere without being able to get myself back on the road.

Oh I can totally understand wanting the spare, especially if you have actually had blow outs. Maybe the experiences I've had are different because we get rain and snow up here and have to swap out tires more often. If I lived in CA I might replace my tires a lot less.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I bought the spare and glad i did. I've had to wait over an hour and sometimes 2 hours for AAA to show up. I'd rather have a spare and change out my flat in a few mins and be on my way. Especially if i am in a bad neighbor hood or bad/busy part of the highway.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT

:thumbsup:

spare tire in truck - check

water storage in back seat - check

iron bumper bolted on front - check

belt fed machine gun on roof - check

thirsty V8 engine, ability to go far without stopping ? :ninja:

I will ignore that last data point :lol:
mad max car.jpg
Sponsored