Front tire worn down unevenly, why?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If that was toe out both tires would be worn very similar. That is quite a bit of neg. camber and yes a shop can fix it, be aware there is no camber adjustment from factory. You will either need camber plates ( best, expensive),or bolts (less money and ok depending on how you use car). if you plan on tracking car I would shy away from bolts. It's ok to change just one end at a time with tires. As far as what caused it I agree with all the above ideas, hard to say. Jim
It might be expensive initially but if it makes you have to replace a tire or two every 10k miles or so it might save money in the long run.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Alignment should be checked every 2 years. Things move, esp if you hit them hard enough. Factory alignment was probably total crap.

Toe is evil. Camber of 1.3 ish (about max with stock bits) will last plenty long. Tires should be replaced every 4 years anyway.

And that's not bad. Guy parking next to me had cords 2 inches wide showing. And zero tread.
I thought most tires were recommended to be replaced at 6 years and a maximum of 10 years? What makes you say 4?

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
You never check camber with the wheel turned, only in the straight ahead position
Reason being that camber gain is often times engineered in steering angle

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I thought most tires were recommended to be replaced at 6 years and a maximum of 10 years? What makes you say 4?
For All Season tires, sure. Max Performance Summer Only tires don't last long anyways. If they're still around at 4 years, you're not driving the car.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
For All Season tires, sure. Max Performance Summer Only tires don't last long anyways. If they're still around at 4 years, you're not driving the car.
Well, yes, but garage queens...

For soccer mom vans and civics. You drive a Mustang. Have some pride and use the tires!
So you're saying if I go and buy a garage queen that is 4 y/o and got driven maybe 1k miles a year it needs new tires?
Yeah, I don't think so.

Reactions: JCN

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So you're saying if I go and buy a garage queen that is 4 y/o and got driven maybe 1k miles a year it needs new tires?
No, but I very much question PO's sanity. 😄

And yes I'd toss the tires at the 6 year mark.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately this is an issue with the Michellin MP4S on our cars. I’m on my 4th set and no matter how closely you micromanage the alignment, this is what end of life is probably going to look like for that tire. Its probably a mismatch with the weigh of our cars on the front axle and the tires construction.

For best results check the toe once very year and dial just ever so light toe in (so the dynamic toe with road forces at speed is as close to zero toe as possible). Rear tires dont seem to be as much of an issue as the fronts so run normal amount of toe in at the back.

Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
My front tires at 10,000 miles are perfectly even tread at around 7/32.
tires.jpg

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
Hm I see ok good to know, thanks Jim. Just curious, if there’s no wiggle room for the camber to be adjusted, how did it get screwed up over time if it has no where to go?
I wish I could tell ya, may have been that way from day one. Maybe a monster pot hole you don't remember, so many possibilities. It's a shame that now days you have to check so many things on a brand new vehicle to make sure it's in spec.

MarcasswellbMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Pack +Tuned Juke
Ok, hopefully the alignment shop can get it sorted out.

my rear tires still have some tread in them. Is it ok to just change the front two tires for now or should I do all 4
does anyone know whats the biggest size Tires I can go on my 2017 Manual Premium Package. I think they are 19's I have 255/40's on Front and 275/40's on the rear.. I was wondering if 265/35-R19 front and 295/35-R19 would fit on a stock set up?? If anyone has the same rims as me and knows what options we have for going wider?? Please let me know thanks...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
does anyone know whats the biggest size
If your goal is cosmetic, then almost anything will "fit". Otherwise pull the wheels off and look at the stamping for what you actually have.
Sponsored