From GT 350 to GT 350R

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
12800 miles and not a problem here on the R wheels. Stuff happens, though and to each their own. I thought about swapping them for a moment but I bought an engineered package, I'd like to drive it that way, or as close to it as possible (minus sport cup 2s!) :)
Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
12800 miles and not a problem here on the R wheels. Stuff happens, though and to each their own. I thought about swapping them for a moment but I bought an engineered package, I'd like to drive it that way, or as close to it as possible (minus sport cup 2s!) :)
What are you running instead?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I'm more of a pseudo collector, I got each of the cars to enjoy with no expectation of increasing in future value. If I would have wanted my investment to grow, I would have invested the money in a Vanguard growth fund. Mustangs are all about fun! I would not trade up to an R model for future collectability, the only reason would be for an increase in performance for the few track days I can get to with my work schedule. And because they are cool!
Based on your earlier post you mentioned being a collector on a couple of occasions and also brought up a concern with respect to a depreciating value for some of these cars thus I took your response of being more than just a "pseudo collector" but obviously I was wrong on assuming your intentions.

Aside as to whether you are a collector or not a move from a Track Pack GT350 to an R model in a no brainer if you are truly looking for improved and increased performance based on myself and numerous others on this forum having driven both cars and I think we all agree that the difference between the two cars is significant.

If you get a chance to drive an R in controlled conditions it will not take you very long to understand the significant difference between the two cars.

BTW, what color is your 2013 LS and your chassis number as I have owned a number of 2012/2013 LS's and really like these cars a great deal?

Good luck going forward.

:sunglasses:

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
As a side note for performance. I really want to see some lap times on the 2019 GT350 with the performance pack and Cup 2’s.

Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
As others have said the R is a more capable car out of the box. There are significant differences across suspension, exhaust, body and engine. It’s a topic of much debate. I doubt the newly modified 2019 gt350 will challenge the untouched R from previous years.

Can the non-R close the gap with changes and work? Absolutely. Main advantage of the R in my mind is value. Go try and buy those cf wheels and wing and you’ll spend approx 20k. Then add up all the other suspension parts. Point is you’ll spend a lot more to make the non R equivalent than it would cost just to buy the R. The other big advantage is rarity and value. I enjoy having 1 of only 2500-ish cars out there. This is also likely the last year of R production which means value goes up even more.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I still can’t understand buying an R and changing the rims. A forged set with tires will be $6,000. All this the prevent a what if? And at the expense of taking away one of the best parts that makes and R an R

I don’t piss $6,000 but for what I’ll use my car for, I’ll keep the CF Wheels
Right at $5,500 total to include replacement OEM TPMS, mounted and balanced with MPSS 4S 325 rears and 305 fronts. One CF wheel only replacement is $4,200 +. The CF wheels don't make an R an R on the commute to work or around town. They make an R an R on the track. I would argue that daily commuting CF wheels is a gross misuse of them for which nothing good can happen. With my set up at home, swapping back to the CF wheels is not a deal. I can do it in under 15 minutes...by myself. If I ever go to C&C or a some other sort of get together, I'll probably swap back. I'd also like to point out that the Signature wheels I got are forged obviously and very light weight and track tested. Not trading in 18 lbs wheels for 30 lbs wheels or anything. There might be a 2 lbs difference per wheel. And the titanium lug nuts from Terrance offset the heavy OEM lug nuts. Lets just say, my R isn't all of the sudden a handling slush bucket.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Right at $5,500 total to include replacement OEM TPMS, mounted and balanced with MPSS 4S 325 rears and 305 fronts. One CF wheel only replacement is $4,200 +. The CF wheels don't make an R an R on the commute to work or around town. They make an R an R on the track. I would argue that daily commuting CF wheels is a gross misuse of them for which nothing good can happen. With my set up at home, swapping back to the CF wheels is not a deal. I can do it in under 15 minutes...by myself. If I ever go to C&C or a some other sort of get together, I'll probably swap back. I'd also like to point out that the Signature wheels I got are forged obviously and very light weight and track tested. Not trading in 18 lbs wheels for 30 lbs wheels or anything. There might be a 2 lbs difference per wheel. And the titanium lug nuts from Terrance offset the heavy OEM lug nuts. Lets just say, my R isn't all of the sudden a handling slush bucket.
Very well said. Nailed it.

Again, although the sum of the parts makes the R great, it is the VIN that makes the R rare and unique. CF vs forged on the street isnt much a difference.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I agree with everyone hear that the R is special and if an opportunity came along to jump into an R at a decent price, I’d probably have one.

Sponsored

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R, Acura RDX
Agreed 100% on using the carbon wheels for commuting around town. I have a set a Forge Stars for DD and only use my carbons and cup2s for the track. I also don't need cup2's for the street either. I have a 3 day event at Road America in July and my cup2's will be done so I will see what I replace them with, thinking about a slick but we will see.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I agree with everyone hear that the R is special and if an opportunity came along to jump into an R at a decent price, I’d probably have one.
What's your idea of a decent price? Do you like triple yellow?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I still can’t understand buying an R and changing the rims. A forged set with tires will be $6,000. All this the prevent a what if? And at the expense of taking away one of the best parts that makes and R an R

I don’t piss $6,000 but for what I’ll use my car for, I’ll keep the CF Wheels
6k??? Lol much more affordable options for a street wheel. I spent 2k and got tires. :giggle:
My CF wheels are track only now and that's where they shine

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Based on your earlier post you mentioned being a collector on a couple of occasions and also brought up a concern with respect to a depreciating value for some of these cars thus I took your response of being more than just a "pseudo collector" but obviously I was wrong on assuming your intentions.

Aside as to whether you are a collector or not a move from a Track Pack GT350 to an R model in a no brainer if you are truly looking for improved and increased performance based on myself and numerous others on this forum having driven both cars and I think we all agree that the difference between the two cars is significant.

If you get a chance to drive an R in controlled conditions it will not take you very long to understand the significant difference between the two cars.

BTW, what color is your 2013 LS and your chassis number as I have owned a number of 2012/2013 LS's and really like these cars a great deal?

Good luck going forward.

:sunglasses:
A pseudo collector more accurately describes me. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what I get except they are all mustangs. Something just appeals to me and I go after it. I got my Track Pack 16 when they were really hard to find, it was slightly used. First owner got an R (he posts on here occasionally). I was looking for a Boss at the time and fell across the CL add. I finally got the Boss (LS585 , black) (the black LS appeals to me more) after a deviation with the Bullitt. I wanted a 13 because of the hockey stick stripe and the 70 boss is a car I'd like to own before I die. The Bullitt is just a great all around car, very fun to cruise. I never really consider depreciating value much, these aren't investments, I'd be happy if they just retained their value. I am thinking about an R, got some business deals to get through in the next few weeks before I do anything else. Maybe flip my 350 and 500 and get an R and spend the difference on money down on a terminator. Maybe that triple yellow one will still be available, very sharp.
Sponsored